Close

    • Formula 1 2012 Bahrain GP in trouble and may be cancelled? Ecclestone states teams will decide if the race happens

      Political issues in Bahrain are putting a lot of pressure on Formula 1. Reports are that teams are hoping that after meetings in Shanghai the race in Bahrain will be cancelled. There have been protests in Bahrain against Formula 1 and at least one person has lost their life in these protests. We will know what happens after the race in Shanghai but for now Ecclestone is proceeding with the GP as if it is business as usual. We hope the event does not spark something far more serious (and dangerous).

      “We've no way we can force people to go there,” Ecclestone stated. “We can't say, ‘You've got to go’ - although they would be in breach of their agreement with us if they didn't go. Commercially they have to go, but whether they decide to or not is up to them. I've had no-one say anything other than, ‘We're going to be racing in Bahrain’.”


      Source
      This article was originally published in forum thread: Formula 1 2012 Bahrain GP in trouble and may be cancelled? Ecclestone states teams will decide if the race happens started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 29 Comments
      1. 0-60Motorsports's Avatar
        0-60Motorsports -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
        I didn't know what the revenues of Bahrain are so I generalized. I appologize.
        But as you say, these talks of political instability in Bahrain are totally out of the blue.
        All year there is no negative news whatsoever about Bahrain, and just before the F1 comes to the middle east these talks start.
        Strangly enough it kicked off with a report of Damon Hill who was not even that critical about the whole situation.
        Like I said it just can be the teams have other gains to have a race cancelled " out of their control" .

        Last year there were more reports of mishaps there, but even then I was mislead by media believing the race could not be held because the safety of the teams were not guaranteed by the government.
        This year I have no idea who started the "it's unsafe to go there" argument.
        I do hope this race will be held, because the BIC is a very nice circuit and the dry heat gives all sorts of different challenges to the race.
        The FIA and teams are being influenced and manipulated by the few people who want unrest in the region for their own agendas. The FIA sent a delegation here last year to survey the situation in December. They all approved Bahrain's situation stable and approved the race. NOW those very same people are turning against it? Fishy much?

        BIC is a great circuit and a very tough circuit. People who i see posting on F1 sites saying its boring etc are the kind of people who are not motor heads like us but in fact keyboard warriors. Click here to enlarge
      1. 0-60Motorsports's Avatar
        0-60Motorsports -
        Attachment 16420

        Attachment 16421

        First Cars from the support event arrived this morning in Bahrain Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
        Attachment 16420

        Attachment 16421

        First Cars from the support event arrived this morning in Bahrain Click here to enlarge
        Where did you get those photos? Awesome.
      1. 0-60Motorsports's Avatar
        0-60Motorsports -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Where did you get those photos? Awesome.
        Cousin works at the airport Click here to enlarge
      1. 0-60Motorsports's Avatar
        0-60Motorsports -
        Best news I've heard this year:

        http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012...=FBCNETTXT9038

        Start/finish tower here I come Click here to enlarge
      1. DavidV's Avatar
        DavidV -
        Yes it's official. The race will continue..

        FIA announces Bahrain race will go ahead 13 Apr 2012
        The FIA has announced that the 2012 Formula 1 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix will take place next weekend as scheduled. Formula One racing’s governing body issued the following press release on Friday:

        “The FIA is the governing body of motor sport and therefore of Formula One. As such, it sets the season’s calendars following the proposal of the Commercial Rights Holder (CRH) in accordance with the local national authorities in all matters relating to safety.

        “Within that context, the FIA ensures that any event forming part of an FIA World Championship is organised in compliance with the FIA Statutes and the relevant Sporting and Technical Regulations and that the safety of the public, officials, drivers and teams is secured at all times during an event.

        “The FIA must make rational decisions based on the information provided to us by the Bahraini authorities and by the Commercial Rights Holder. In addition we have endeavoured to assess the ongoing situation in Bahrain.

        “President Jean Todt led a fact-finding mission to the Kingdom in November 2011, meeting a large number of decision-makers and opinion formers, including elected Shia members of parliament, the president of the Bahrain Independent Commission of Inquiry, ambassadors from the European Union countries, the Crown Prince, the Interior Minister and many members of the business community.

        “All expressed their wish for the Grand Prix to go ahead in 2012, and since then, the FIA has kept in close touch with all these stakeholders. Away from the public eye, the FIA has received regular security briefings from the most senior diplomatic officials based in the Kingdom as well as from other independent experts.

        “The 2012 calendar, as presented by the CRH, was ratified by the World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) in September 2011. Since then no request from the F1 Commission or the CRH has been made to the WMSC to either postpone or cancel the Bahrain Grand Prix.

        “Based on the current information the FIA has at this stage, it is satisfied that all the proper security measures are in place for the running of a Formula One World Championship event in Bahrain.

        “Therefore, the FIA confirms that the 2012 Gulf Air F1 Grand Prix of Bahrain will go ahead as scheduled.”




        Source: www.formula1.com
      1. M3_WC's Avatar
        M3_WC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Why is the media blowing this up though?
        I think it goes beyond safety. Some view it as a political issue and don't believe a race should be held there period. Whether they can control protests are not.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
        Best news I've heard this year:

        http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012...=FBCNETTXT9038

        Start/finish tower here I come Click here to enlarge
        I'm happy for you and all of Bahrain Click here to enlarge

        Get us lot's of pics!!
      1. 0-60Motorsports's Avatar
        0-60Motorsports -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I'm happy for you and all of Bahrain Click here to enlarge

        Get us lot's of pics!!
        Sure will bro. Well I'll try me best. I'll be Start/Finish Tower with the best Start Finish tower guy in Bahrain so it will be a NO NO to take pics while cars are on track.

        aaannnddddd the circus is coming to town Click here to enlarge
        Attachment 16542

        Jerome d'Ambrosio
        Attachment 16543

        Martin Whitmarsh
        Attachment 16544