• Formula 1 2012 Bahrain GP in trouble and may be cancelled? Ecclestone states teams will decide if the race happens

      Political issues in Bahrain are putting a lot of pressure on Formula 1. Reports are that teams are hoping that after meetings in Shanghai the race in Bahrain will be cancelled. There have been protests in Bahrain against Formula 1 and at least one person has lost their life in these protests. We will know what happens after the race in Shanghai but for now Ecclestone is proceeding with the GP as if it is business as usual. We hope the event does not spark something far more serious (and dangerous).

      “We've no way we can force people to go there,” Ecclestone stated. “We can't say, ‘You've got to go’ - although they would be in breach of their agreement with us if they didn't go. Commercially they have to go, but whether they decide to or not is up to them. I've had no-one say anything other than, ‘We're going to be racing in Bahrain’.”


      Source
      This article was originally published in forum thread: Formula 1 2012 Bahrain GP in trouble and may be cancelled? Ecclestone states teams will decide if the race happens started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 29 Comments
      1. stormtrooper335's Avatar
        stormtrooper335 -
        why so much hate for f1 in bahrain?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by stormtrooper335 Click here to enlarge
        why so much hate for f1 in bahrain?
        I don't really know.
      1. DavidV's Avatar
        DavidV -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I don't really know.



        F1 teams expect Bahrain Grand Prix to be called off


        A number of Formula 1 teams expect the Bahrain Grand Prix to be called off amid security concerns caused by civil unrest, BBC Sport has learned.
        F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone says no teams have expressed concerns to him.
        A statement from the Formula One Teams' Association on Tuesday said it was down to the FIA to cancel the race.
        Teams will meet Ecclestone at the weekend when a decision is expected. However authorities remain confident the race will go ahead.
        Analysis



        Violence between protesters and security forces erupted again on Bahrain's streets earlier this year after unrest during the 2011 Arab Spring led to last year's Bahrain GP being cancelled.
        Unlike last year, the Bahrain authorities are in no mood to cancel the race themselves, so the decision rests with the FIA this time.
        Bahrain's majority Shia population have been demanding democratic reforms from the country's Sunni rulers, and the government has tried to quell their protests.
        The Bahrain race organisers argued last week that holding the GP would have an important unifying role in the country and Ecclestone has said he has no doubts about staging the race, scheduled for 22 April.
        Former world champion Damon Hill said this week that Formula 1 should re-think plans to hold the event.

        Hill had originally backed the race after visiting the country on a fact-finding mission with motorsport boss Jean Todt in December.
        But another British former world champion, Sir Jackie Stewart, believes the race should go ahead. He told BBC Sport: "It is a dangerous precedent to set [if] we don't go to Bahrain.
        "Democracy doesn't happen in three months, 12 months or 36 months. It takes a generation sometimes.
        "In reality, a specialist of the Middle East would say Bahrain is more developed than any other Middle East state. However, they have a problem."


        Click here to enlarge Andrew Benson Chief F1 writer

        Bahrain has a contract to 2016 but the rules state that any race that has to be cancelled two years on the trot cannot be put back on the calendar the following year unless there is an argument for force majeure. But the unrest in Bahrain has been ongoing since February 2011, so it would be difficult to make that case. As Bahrain is one of F1's most lucrative races, it's not hard to understand the reluctance to call it off, despite many believing the sport has no choice given the situation in the Gulf state.

        Source: BBC Formula1

        @0-60Motorsports What is the situation back there now?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Not looking good for Bahrain.
      1. DavidV's Avatar
        DavidV -
        No, it's similar to last year, only I feel last year the situation there was worse.
        For what I can see it is a bit strange these sentiments are controlling the go-no go of a race in a rich oil state.
        With the same arguments they could cancel the race in China for political situations ant human rights.

        The teams also have a secondary agenda here. They are far stretched in their technical settings concerning engines and gearboxes. They have a quotum for 6 gearboxes and 8 engines, hich must last up to 20 races this year, so 1 race less would get some pressure off their back for end of the year penalties.
      1. Autobahn335i's Avatar
        Autobahn335i -
        We need more races in the root continent of F1 racing, EUROPE. It's only for the $$$ that Ecclestone gives races to countries such as Bahrain. And most races on such modern "retort" circuits are boring. It would be better to invest in circuits like Spa-Franchorchamps, even if not so much money can be made, but where there is potential for a legendary race each time!
      1. 0-60Motorsports's Avatar
        0-60Motorsports -
        FYI Guys its just a bunch of kids running around burning tires. The situation is under control and we all go out and do our normal things all day long. hell if it was that bad you think I would let my Family go out? And Also i live right next to the place where all the $#@! happened So I have first hand knowledge of whats going on. STOP BELIEVING THE BLOODY MEDIA.

        Any way also for you smart alecs Bahrain is not OIL RICH! Its success comes from Aluminium, Banking, Industry, Commerce. If you guys have any questions about Bahrain feel free to PM me any time.

        Also I have one of our very own Forum members PEI330ci who stayed in Bahrain for a week. Im sure he can chime in and tell you what it was like in december. We had fun lol. Click here to enlarge

        Sticky Needs to get himself over here! Any of You ever wana visit shoot me a PM Click here to enlarge
      1. 0-60Motorsports's Avatar
        0-60Motorsports -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
        We need more races in the root continent of F1 racing, EUROPE. It's only for the $$$ that Ecclestone gives races to countries such as Bahrain. And most races on such modern "retort" circuits are boring. It would be better to invest in circuits like Spa-Franchorchamps, even if not so much money can be made, but where there is potential for a legendary race each time!
        Oh Really? Have you ever driven on the Bahrain F1 Circuit? To me this is a very important race on the calender as it is us BAHRAINI's that brought F1 to the Middle-East. I love driving in BIC and so do many other and most other Middle-East country residents who come here 2-3 times a month for open track days.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
        FYI Guys its just a bunch of kids running around burning tires. The situation is under control and we all go out and do our normal things all day long. hell if it was that bad you think I would let my Family go out? And Also i live right next to the place where all the $#@! happened So I have first hand knowledge of whats going on. STOP BELIEVING THE BLOODY MEDIA.

        Any way also for you smart alecs Bahrain is not OIL RICH! Its success comes from Aluminium, Banking, Industry, Commerce. If you guys have any questions about Bahrain feel free to PM me any time.

        Also I have one of our very own Forum members PEI330ci who stayed in Bahrain for a week. Im sure he can chime in and tell you what it was like in december. We had fun lol. Click here to enlarge

        Sticky Needs to get himself over here! Any of You ever wana visit shoot me a PM Click here to enlarge
        I was hoping you would chime in. Will be a shame if they cancel this GP.
      1. 0-60Motorsports's Avatar
        0-60Motorsports -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I was hoping you would chime in. Will be a shame if they cancel this GP.
        Hell Yeah its gona be a shame cos your bro here is positioned at Start Finish tower in F1 Pits!!!! Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Let's hope this isn't blown out of proportion then and the race happens.
      1. 0-60Motorsports's Avatar
        0-60Motorsports -
        also this is the local newspaper: http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/
      1. 0-60Motorsports's Avatar
        0-60Motorsports -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Let's hope this isn't blown out of proportion then and the race happens.
        But Ofcourse it is Sticky! These people have an agenda against Bahrain and its rulers. What they dont see is BAHRAIN is the most open and westernized country in the MIDDLE-EAST! If you dont believe it ask PEI330ci, when he was stuck in Bahrain for a week. Ask him where all the people from the GULF come to party and live a NORMAL life because of the freedoms this country and its Government offers Click here to enlarge

        This is def blown way out of proportion. I cant wait to show you around here when you visit bro.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
        This is def blown way out of proportion. I cant wait to show you around here when you visit bro.
        The media of course has me concerned but I know you would show me around. What type of activities does Bahrain offer? Also interested in the women.
      1. 0-60Motorsports's Avatar
        0-60Motorsports -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        The media of course has me concerned but I know you would show me around. What type of activities does Bahrain offer? Also interested in the women.
        Theres lots to do, If u come in summer theres lot of water sports, clubbing BUT NO RACING as its off season due to the heat. You wana come for the motorsports you come after October Click here to enlarge As far as women go its just like being in europe or the States so be normal LOL.
      1. PEI330Ci's Avatar
        PEI330Ci -
        This situation is silly.

        I've been visiting Bahrain regularly since 2010, with a stay last fall for 10 days as Ejaz mentioned previously. Every time I've been there I felt extremely safe, with very little evidence of potential threats to myself or the people I was with.

        Now....I've been to some really unstable situations, where my primary method of safety was blending in, and this has never been the case in Bahrain.

        This is a stable and prosperous country, with a minority causing small problems that are magnified by the media.

        If people want to experience some "extreme tourism", and go to a "war zone", I suggest to spend some time in the lower class neighborhoods of Baltimore. This is where the US Army sends their doctors to work in hospitals for "field training".

        Baltimore has the highest gun crimes in the US.

        I hope the FIA isn't blinded by the propaganda of a few extremists that have minipulated a "situation" in the media. I would say both Ejaz and myself are better informed than most because of our security contacts, and I would expect that the FIA has the same quality of information.

        Lets see an F1 race in Bahrain in 2012 and beyond!
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Why is the media blowing this up though?
      1. DavidV's Avatar
        DavidV -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
        Any way also for you smart alecs Bahrain is not OIL RICH!
        I didn't know what the revenues of Bahrain are so I generalized. I appologize.
        But as you say, these talks of political instability in Bahrain are totally out of the blue.
        All year there is no negative news whatsoever about Bahrain, and just before the F1 comes to the middle east these talks start.
        Strangly enough it kicked off with a report of Damon Hill who was not even that critical about the whole situation.
        Like I said it just can be the teams have other gains to have a race cancelled " out of their control" .

        Last year there were more reports of mishaps there, but even then I was mislead by media believing the race could not be held because the safety of the teams were not guaranteed by the governement.
        This year I have no idea who started the "it's unsafe to go there" argument.
        I do hope this race will be held, because the BIC is a very nice circuit and the dry heat gives all sorts of different challenges to the race.
      1. PEI330Ci's Avatar
        PEI330Ci -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Why is the media blowing this up though?
        Because they can.

        F1 has a massive macro economy. When you factor in the technology developement, manufacturing, and spin-offs, F1 ranks #8 in the world when compared to countries GDP.

        F1 technically could be in the G8.

        While it strives to be politically neutral, F1 still gets caught up from time to time in local politics. In this case, terrorism.

        Now the up side is that major sporting events like the Olympics face similar threats, and there are established methods of mitigating those risks.

        The down side is that there are cases where the risks couldn't be managed, and we have the Paris-Dakar Rally moving to South America as an example.

        Bahrain is almost like the Las Vegas of the Middle East. People go there from all GCC countries to watch movies, go shopping, dine with their families in the open, and for some.....have their wife be able to drive the family car. This is a country of civil freedoms.

        In my own opinion, I think more media attention should be put on Syria.
      1. 0-60Motorsports's Avatar
        0-60Motorsports -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
        Because they can.

        F1 has a massive macro economy. When you factor in the technology developement, manufacturing, and spin-offs, F1 ranks #8 in the world when compared to countries GDP.

        F1 technically could be in the G8.

        While it strives to be politically neutral, F1 still gets caught up from time to time in local politics. In this case, terrorism.

        Now the up side is that major sporting events like the Olympics face similar threats, and there are established methods of mitigating those risks.

        The down side is that there are cases where the risks couldn't be managed, and we have the Paris-Dakar Rally moving to South America as an example.

        Bahrain is almost like the Las Vegas of the Middle East. People go there from all GCC countries to watch movies, go shopping, dine with their families in the open, and for some.....have their wife be able to drive the family car. This is a country of civil freedoms.

        In my own opinion, I think more media attention should be put on Syria.
        Couldn't have said it better Brother. I go out with my US military brothers all the time every where. If they and their families are not worried why would the teams be? Bahrain has guaranteed full security etc etc the works for the teams! Bahraini's are one of the most kind loving people around. Its a shame our beautiful country and its loyal people are being dragged through the mud. Bahrain's govt is very open with the media etc and all locals too.

        Here is a link to the Ministry of Interiors website for more REAL factual news:
        https://twitter.com/#!/moi_bahrain

        http://www.policemc.gov.bh/en/

        Anyone got any doubts PM me Click here to enlarge