Close

    • No M version of the BMW i8 - Getting horsepower boost instead and expected to cost over $130k

      No M version of the BMW i8 is coming. Kind of disappointing as it would be nice to finally have a halo M car or BMW supercar so to speak. The 1.5 liter turbo 3 cylinder has been upped to 223 horsepower and 295 pound-feet or torque. The total horsepower rating is now 393 horses and 406 lb-ft of torque. That is more like it! The car will also be switchable from front, to rear, to all wheel drive at the drivers discretion. Imagine using all wheel drive only from a stop for example.

      Tuning the turbo powerplant should prove to be fun and this car with its proposed 3,125 pound curb weight may prove to be a lot of fun to drive.


      Source

      This article was originally published in forum thread: No M version of the BMW i8 - Getting horsepower boost instead and expected to cost over $130k started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 22 Comments
      1. M3_WC's Avatar
        M3_WC -
        So that is 393hp for only 20 minutes, as that is the estimated battery life. Then you will be on 1.5-liter power only. That will be one slow $130k car.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
        So that is 393hp for only 20 minutes, as that is the estimated battery life. Then you will be on 1.5-liter power only. That will be one slow $130k car.
        Are you sure that isn't for electronic only mode?
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        Cool but weird, would like more info and specs on the car though once prototyped etc..
      1. M3_WC's Avatar
        M3_WC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Are you sure that isn't for electronic only mode?
        Not sure if running both systems saves on electric. I figure to get full 393hp in awd mode, the electric motor will be working full time to drive front wheels.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
        Cool but weird, would like more info and specs on the car though once prototyped etc..
        We have a good amount of the specs already.

        Just sucks it doesn't have a bigger gasoline motor. 1.5 liter turbo three cylinder is going to be hard to make strong.
      1. stormtrooper335's Avatar
        stormtrooper335 -
        i'm going to the ny auto show i will get some pics of it
      1. M3_WC's Avatar
        M3_WC -
        Battery technology needs to advance a lot more to make these cars more enticing. A 20 mile battery range isn't good. The problem BMW has is weight(they clearly want a lightweight car), they can't just stuff in more batteries like the Fisker Karma. The Karma weighs 5,300 lbs. The problem still remains after 20 miles, you are driving a $130,000 223hp 1.5L car. Cool car, give BMW props. It will be a good car for those hollywood elite tree huggers to show up to red carpet events. Can't wait to see the markup dealers put on these cars.
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        We have a good amount of the specs already.

        Just sucks it doesn't have a bigger gasoline motor. 1.5 liter turbo three cylinder is going to be hard to make strong.
        I mean like, 0-60 1/4 mle etc.. specs lol. Wish it was only gasoline $#@! that electric BS
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
        I mean like, 0-60 1/4 mle etc.. specs lol. Wish it was only gasoline $#@! that electric BS
        0-60 estimated in 4.9. I expect to see numbers in the low 4's. 1/4 mile should be a high 12. Performance close to the E92 M3.
      1. 654's Avatar
        654 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
        Battery technology needs to advance a lot more to make these cars more enticing. A 20 mile battery range isn't good. The problem BMW has is weight(they clearly want a lightweight car), they can't just stuff in more batteries like the Fisker Karma. The Karma weighs 5,300 lbs. The problem still remains after 20 miles, you are driving a $130,000 223hp 1.5L car. Cool car, give BMW props. It will be a good car for those hollywood elite tree huggers to show up to red carpet events. Can't wait to see the markup dealers put on these cars.
        Power segment would cruise around on gasoline and take the full power in use when needed. Should be able to leave the competition behind in less than a mile so 20 miles full power reserve could be enough.
      1. G0TB00ST?'s Avatar
        G0TB00ST? -
        I do not see how there is more of a demand for this than a real super car. I personally could not justify paying that much for a car like this imho
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by G0TB00ST? Click here to enlarge
        I do not see how there is more of a demand for this than a real super car. I personally could not justify paying that much for a car like this imho
        Being green is cool or something now.
      1. G0TB00ST?'s Avatar
        G0TB00ST? -
        yeah i guess your right sticky, but a green super car seems like an oxymoron.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by G0TB00ST? Click here to enlarge
        yeah i guess your right sticky, but a green super car seems like an oxymoron.
        It does but Porsche is making it work.

        I would prefer a 5.8 liter S85 and essentially BMW's Carrera GT.

        At least this is finally something higher end from BMW even if it isn't going to be a performance champion. I am kind of looking forward to it as perhaps those electric motors can be modded and that turbo motor can definitely get some more boost. May become fast... and exclusive.
      1. 1cleanAMG's Avatar
        1cleanAMG -
        I would never buy this car over an R8 or 911.
      1. M3_WC's Avatar
        M3_WC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        It does but Porsche is making it work.
        But Porsche is doing it right. A 500hp 3.5L V8 plus three electric motors with addtional 218hp.

        The BMW is a semi-supercar for 20miles basically. The drivetrain tech in the i8 is better suited in the smaller i3(a true fuel mileage car).
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
        The BMW is a semi-supercar for 20miles basically.
        20 miles is just the all electric mode so that isn't accurate.
      1. stormtrooper335's Avatar
        stormtrooper335 -
        Attachment 16284
      1. stormtrooper335's Avatar
        stormtrooper335 -
        Attachment 16296