AutoBild puts the CTS-V in second place ahead of the E63 AMG which is followed by the Jaguar XFR. The result follows the laptimes they were able to get which is interesting. Definitely a premium put on what the cars do on the roadcourse which is also how the CTS-V was able to finish before the E63. The XFR was almost 3 seconds off the pace of the CTS-V and E63 which definitely shows that it is lagging behind the competition at least in this performance aspect.
So is the F10 M5 the new sport sedan king? Well, not so fast. The Panamera Turbo S was not included in this comparison. On a different day though its acceleration figures were quicker than the M5 (it does have all wheel drive though) finishing the 1/4 mile in 11.70 versus the M5's 11.98. The problem with AutoBild not being a US publication is they do not seem to see the importance of 1/4 mile trap speeds and without that part of the equation we can't really see which car has the most steam at the 1/4 mile mark. The M5's 0-160 and 0-200 km/h times are quicker than the Panamera however so it does appear to be the faster car up top or from a roll.
The Panamera Turbo S also posted a quicker laptime on the same track at 1:37.82 versus the M5's 1:38.66. So, the overall king sure seems to be the Porsche Panamera Turbo S although that slight performance increase on the roadcourse versus the F10 M5 does not come cheap and may be a function in this comparison of a tight track where the all wheel drive helps out of corners. The Panamera Turbo S is also just under 200 pounds heavier than the already hefty M5.
We agree with AutoBild's conclusions for the most part and would just like to see trap speeds included. We are all looking forward to the US comparisons.
1st place: BMW M5 F10
- Tyres: Michelin Pilot Super Sport
- Weight: 1930 kg
- 0-100 km/h: 3,9 s
- 0-200 km/h: 11,8 s
- Quarter mile: 11,98 s
- Flexibility (80-120 km/h) in 5th gear: 3,9 s
- Braking (100-0 km/h), warm: 34,7 m
2nd place: Cadillac CTS-V Automatic
- Tyres: Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
- Weight: 1980 kg
- 0-100 km/h: 4,3 s
- 0-200 km/h: 14,1 s
- Quarter mile: 12,49 s
- Flexibility (80-120 km/h) in 5th gear: 6,1 s
- Braking (100-0 km/h), warm: 34,4 m
3rd place: Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG Performance Package
- Tyres: Continental SportContact 5P
- Weight: 1929 kg
- 0-100 km/h: 4,1 s
- 0-200 km/h: 12,6 s
- Quarter mile: 12,07 s
- Flexibility (80-120 km/h) in 5th gear: 4,6 s
- Braking (100-0 km/h), warm: 34,6 m
4th place: Jaguar XFR
- Tyres: Dunlop SP Sportmaxx J
- Weight: 1970 kg
- 0-100 km/h: 4,5 s
- 0-200 km/h: 14,4 s
- Quarter mile: 12,54 s
- Flexibility (80-120 km/h) in 5th gear: 6,0 s
- Braking (100-0 km/h), warm: 35,6 m
1:37,82 min - Porsche Panamera Turbo S
1:38,16 min - Porsche Panamera Turbo
1:38,66 min - BMW M5 F10
1:40,86 min - Cadillac CTS-V Automatic
1:41,00 min - Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG PP (best is 1:40,6 min)
1:43,75 min - Jaguar XFR
- The M5 is the clear winner here, fastest in the straightline, fastest on the track. With Launch Control 0-100 kph is in 3,9 s!
- The Cadillac made a little sensation beating the E63 AMG PP: great performance, big fun for relatively low costs.
- The 3rd place is for the Merc: it's the only one that can get close to the M5 on the straightline. Best 0-100 kph run: from 1800 rpm.
- Last place for the relaxed Jaguar.