Close

    • Stock 2012 DCT M3 with rear section takes on a bolt on Mustang 5.0 from a roll

      The Mustang 5.0 is being compared to the M3 pretty frequently although these are not cross shopped cars. Understandable as the M3 is the benchmark and has been since 2008. The Mustang is a great performance value as it has and should be. Well, this 2012 M3 is stock except for a rear section exhaust but it is a dual clutch. The Mustang has an off-road H-pipe (meaning no cats), intake, tune, and exhaust.

      From a 40 mph roll the Mustang is able to pull a couple cars. From a lower speed roll the M3 is able to hold a slight advantage. The cars are close enough the weight of the passenger affects the outcome as well as the starting speed. Starting in first gear favors the M3 significantly on the shift. It is surprising though the Mustang was not stronger with a tune, intake, and exhaust as the M3 is basically stock although if it was a manual the 5.0 would have easily had its way with it passenger or no passenger and regardless of the starting speed.

      With a full exhaust and tune we would expect the M3 to pull relatively easily. Hopefully we see a rematch when the M3 has equal mods, enjoy the videos.


      Camera man in M3:

      Camera man in Mustang:
      This article was originally published in forum thread: 2011 Mustang 5.0 6speed (bolt ons) vs. e92 M3 DCT (exhaust) started by oddjob2021 View original post
      Comments 263 Comments
      1. ultimateendz's Avatar
        ultimateendz -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Too early to drink and I still don't think you get that the Coyote and S65 are both more advanced than that motor. The Ford GT making a ton of power doesn't make it a superior design and it does not matter in the discussion between two different motors.
        im talking power output not design....in which the coyote AND outgoing 5.4 trump the s65....not even gonna get started on the LSX...
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
        I did...115
        you didnt, just 12.3

        115 eh, we need to get some rolls on then
        what did you add, tune and airfilter?
      1. Laloosh's Avatar
        Laloosh -
        Next time out its going to be 117-118....in about 5 days actually. Then comes the boss mani and 120 easy

        Car should be in the 430 range with intake manifold tune kitty less and intake making peak power at 7500
      1. ultimateendz's Avatar
        ultimateendz -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
        Next time out its going to be 117-118....in about 5 days actually. Then comes the boss mani and 120 easy
        still waiting on parts....Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        you didnt, just 12.3
        12.5
      1. Laloosh's Avatar
        Laloosh -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        12.5
        Neither. I said it will go 12.3 i just keep screwing up the launch and bogging. Car went 12.4 so far on a $#@! 1.99 bogging 10 feet out. Im toing to go to 3500 and pretty mich slip it fast almost dump it next time out. I cant believe i keep on bogging and chirping the 3-4 at 100 at the same time
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        ah, yea,
        waiting on invoice for my tune, and thats all im doing N/A for the car. if i go 117 ill be content. should be good. would like to see how we stack up in a roll now, and then later. whats the travel time for you to get down here? (asking cause i may come up)
      1. Laloosh's Avatar
        Laloosh -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        ah, yea,
        waiting on invoice for my tune, and thats all im doing N/A for the car. if i go 117 ill be content. should be good. would like to see how we stack up in a roll now, and then later. whats the travel time for you to get down here? (asking cause i may come up)
        Im here cause im working down here all week and staying in a hotel. You are looking at about 2 hours no traffic
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        hhmmm...
      1. Sledgehammer's Avatar
        Sledgehammer -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Once I again I ask you what relevance a Ford GT has to two cars being compared with completely different motors? I'd argue the Coyote is a superior motor to that old 5.4.
        So you're ok with less HP as long its technologically more advanced? Sounds like a Taste's great vs Less Filling argument... So when you unleash the M of yours on the street with boost, trans and so on. And some dude in a Ford GT whips dat azz you'll drive home knowing you have better (read slower) technology. Thats gangsta LOL
      1. Sledgehammer's Avatar
        Sledgehammer -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        hhmmm...
        Dew it...
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge
        Dew it...
        trying to think where.. mexico isnt perfect right now, solo runs are easy but duels are a different safety consideration
      1. Sledgehammer's Avatar
        Sledgehammer -
        Understood.... Now put your mind to work, I want some video
      1. ultimateendz's Avatar
        ultimateendz -
        mexico just had an earthquake fellas Click here to enlarge
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        depends on his schedule..

        pm outgoing now
      1. Laloosh's Avatar
        Laloosh -
        Im in hour neck of the woods, vineland till thursday but dont know any roads up here.

        Still bogging off the line. 12.44 at 115.15 and 12.44 at 115.16 were my two best runs. I should bracket race and win some money next time as the slowest runs was a 12.56 lol
      1. Laloosh's Avatar
        Laloosh -
        And the slips,car 10 obviously.
        Attachment 15956
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge
        So you're ok with less HP as long its technologically more advanced? Sounds like a Taste's great vs Less Filling argument... So when you unleash the M of yours on the street with boost, trans and so on. And some dude in a Ford GT whips dat azz you'll drive home knowing you have better (read slower) technology. Thats gangsta LOL
        I'm not saying less HP as long as it is technologically more advanced. Do you think the 5.4 would ultimately provide more HP than the Coyote? Because in NA form the Coyote appears to be superior. So it seems you are getting both technological advancement and big HP.

        Kind of boring though if we all go the big domestic V8 route, right?

        The Ford GT will always win. The guy also paid double to begin with though and rightfully so as it is a special 2 seater, the M3 isn't. So, some context at the very least is necessary. Nobody is building an M3 to go twin turbo Ford GT hunting or expecting to have the world's fastest car. It never was and never will be.
      1. Sledgehammer's Avatar
        Sledgehammer -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I'm not saying less HP as long as it is technologically more advanced. Do you think the 5.4 would ultimately provide more HP than the Coyote? Because in NA form the Coyote appears to be superior. So it seems you are getting both technological advancement and big HP.

        Kind of boring though if we all go the big domestic V8 route, right?

        The Ford GT will always win. The guy also paid double to begin with though and rightfully so as it is a special 2 seater, the M3 isn't. So, some context at the very least is necessary. Nobody is building an M3 to go twin turbo Ford GT hunting or expecting to have the world's fastest car. It never was and never will be.
        But if you're logic is that the Ford GT driver paid double, isn't that the effective point of this whole Mustang GT vs M3 argument... A fully loaded 2013 Mustang GT is roughly $36.5K (Track Pack, Recaro's, Technology Pack, All weather mats yada, yada,yada) and a fully loaded 2012 M3 fully loaded (Comp pkg, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, DCT, Dynamic Dampers etc...) is $76.6k.

        Thats a price difference of $40K more than the Mustang GT's fully loaded price. You just proved the entire point of this debate IMHO... Why buy a M3 when you could get near identical performance for $40K less? Because that snobby owner will want the technology or the comforts or panache of a M3. And most M owners think their cars are the tits over any other car, along with being faster cause it costs more than some and better than some more expensive.

        In an all race motor setup currently the 5.4 motor has seen in excess of 2000hp, the Coyote has not been pushed that far yet most seem to be hitting around 900-1100rwhp with forged internals/boost/stock cams. Cams are hitting the market now with good results I would expect to see some 12-1300rwhp Coyote's in the coming weeks/months.


      1. ERM324's Avatar
        ERM324 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
        Im in hour neck of the woods, vineland till thursday but dont know any roads up here.

        Still bogging off the line. 12.44 at 115.15 and 12.44 at 115.16 were my two best runs. I should bracket race and win some money next time as the slowest runs was a 12.56 lol
        Wow tune only? Great job thats going to have mostly all n/a m3's beat (or even)...I was averaging 115-116 when I went to atco full bolt ons, cant wait to see when you do some more serious upgrades