Close

    • ESS Tuning VT2-625 supercharged 2011 E92 DCT M3 hits a new S65 trap speed record of 132.26

      Congratulations to BimmerBoost member Ricky (ERM324) who set a new S65 V8 trap speed record at the ATCO drag strip in New Jersey this past Sunday. The E92 M3 has a dual clutch transmission and was run on 100 octane with drag radials and a Gintani full exhaust. The 60 foot on the record trap run was 2.148 (the DCT is very finicky to launch) which means there is plenty of room to improve the ET and this is most definitely a 10 second car with a good launch.

      This now makes for the second M3 supercharger kit company to crack the 130 mph barrier boost only. It would seem the stock internal limit with a blower is the 10 second and low 130 MPH range. Congratulations to ERM324 and it is great to see more cars clear the 130 mark and raise the trap speed bar in the process.






      This article was originally published in forum thread: ***NEW S65 Record*** started by LostMarine View original post
      Comments 101 Comments
      1. BattaM3's Avatar
        BattaM3 -
        Sorry for OT but mike@vac. You can post pics of those cracks and all other $#@! going on with my car if you want.
      1. Mike@VAC's Avatar
        Mike@VAC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BattaM3 Click here to enlarge
        Sorry for OT but mike@vac. You can post pics of those cracks and all other $#@! going on with my car if you want.
        Ok will do. I tried to email you last night but it bounced. Crazy $#@!!
      1. BattaM3's Avatar
        BattaM3 -
        My email is so $#@!ed. Spam city. I'll be making a new one.
      1. M&M's Avatar
        M&M -
        On high horsepower cars the trap actually goes up when you hook up. I have personally seen it & driven myself & experienced it. Especially if launch control gets the rears up in smoke, you bolt on some Mickeys, use LC & your 60ft drops to around 1.8 & your trap goes up a decent amount.
      1. JonsC63AMG's Avatar
        JonsC63AMG -
        130+ trap is a very respectable fast speed.
      1. ERM324's Avatar
        ERM324 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M&M Click here to enlarge
        On high horsepower cars the trap actually goes up when you hook up. I have personally seen it & driven myself & experienced it. Especially if launch control gets the rears up in smoke, you bolt on some Mickeys, use LC & your 60ft drops to around 1.8 & your trap goes up a decent amount.
        +1 this is how I feel, but well see...next time I go I should have my linelock in place!
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ERM324 Click here to enlarge
        I ran race gas because me and Steve figured it could help a little, I showed up at the track with 93 octane and never even touched the map on my car (I don't even have a race map)...wouldn't that be dangerous showing up with a race gas map but not running race gas until I got there? LostMarine drove my car and did an entire inspection, no shady $#@! was done whatsoever - and btw my sub 130 trap are due to me hitting the rev limiter...on clean runs I was over 130 consistently
        If you say so man, sound like your tune was very aggressive to begin with then. Go get a race tune an top these traps then because from what I have seen from tuning on these motors on stock internals this is just about the limit. The fact you did it with a smaller blower flowing less CFM definitely points to race gas tune.

        I'm not saying anything shady was going on as this is all within the realm of possibility. I just think your car was maximized for this setup considering it took an ESS blower setup a few years to finally crack 130 on boost.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M&M Click here to enlarge
        On high horsepower cars the trap actually goes up when you hook up. I have personally seen it & driven myself & experienced it. Especially if launch control gets the rears up in smoke, you bolt on some Mickeys, use LC & your 60ft drops to around 1.8 & your trap goes up a decent amount.
        It's happened to me as well exactly as you described that my trap went up but I was already hooking well and increased my launch rpm and hooked. But in this case the spin was so large at 2.X that clearly the trap was being influenced by it. Notice on other high horsepower cars (like the N54's) many list their traps and ET's separately and the higher traps always come with worse 60 foots. BMS's latest record setting runs reflect this.

        These traps won't be repeated with a 10 second ET like Active Autowerke for example. If I'm wrong, it should be proven easily.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mike@VAC Click here to enlarge
        I think our car can run 10.5x @130-131 with 93 octane, stock tune and no meth. We would have been at Atco today but there is too much work in the shop Click here to enlarge
        You guys use launch control with drag radials... a key difference.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
        sticky is kinda right though.. With a poor 60' that trap could have probably even hit 134. That's just how it works good 60' lower trap speed lower time. Poor 60' high trap speed and bad times. So this 132 record doesnt really mean much cause it's a poor 60'. I would think any other similar set up can do the same. good record would be to hit 10's with a 130+ trap.
        Of course I'm right. Let's see a 10 second trap with this same 132 and we truly have something special to talk about. Not discounting it, but pointing out how trap speed numbers can be exaggerated. We saw multiple slips here with variances of 3 MPH depending on how the car was spinning, there you go...
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ERM324 Click here to enlarge
        +1 this is how I feel, but well see...next time I go I should have my linelock in place!
        Great, great idea. Go with @ar design unless you already have something in mind.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ERM324 Click here to enlarge
        I ran race gas because me and Steve figured it could help a little, I showed up at the track with 93 octane and never even touched the map on my car (I don't even have a race map)...wouldn't that be dangerous showing up with a race gas map but not running race gas until I got there? LostMarine drove my car and did an entire inspection, no shady $#@! was done whatsoever - and btw my sub 130 trap are due to me hitting the rev limiter...on clean runs I was over 130 consistently
        Do you not have a flashloader?
      1. Mike@VAC's Avatar
        Mike@VAC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        You guys use launch control with drag radials... a key difference.
        Is there any other way to drag race? Well, I guess slicks but we like to use street legal tires ;-)

        I think ERM was using LC and DRs too. Of course, LC is a PITA and it doesn't seem to work consistently for anyone.
      1. BattaM3's Avatar
        BattaM3 -
        Is DCT a pain to launch like SMG?
      1. JonsC63AMG's Avatar
        JonsC63AMG -
        Is it true you can't burnout with DCT? I ask this because ERM used DR and wonder why his 60fts are bad.
      1. BattaM3's Avatar
        BattaM3 -
        Probably hard to get a good launch. I know with my SMG it can be a nightmare to Launch. Hit or miss.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mike@VAC Click here to enlarge
        Is there any other way to drag race? Well, I guess slicks but we like to use street legal tires ;-)

        I think ERM was using LC and DRs too. Of course, LC is a PITA and it doesn't seem to work consistently for anyone.
        I don't think he was because he mentioned hitting the limiter so how could he be when launch control shifts automatically?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JonsC63AMG Click here to enlarge
        Is it true you can't burnout with DCT? I ask this because ERM used DR and wonder why his 60fts are bad.
        You can, but then it might lead to launch control not working or overheating. Like this, btw, these runs were done back in 2009:

      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        So with launch control would I have hit 132? 134? Who knows, pointless to speculate.

        However, I can tell you I had a tune for meth at 7.5 psi. On pump gas tunes I don't see these traps coming. Kind of wish I could have kept going but oh well, this 130 stuff was a big deal a long time ago but the platform has moved on.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BattaM3 Click here to enlarge
        Is DCT a pain to launch like SMG?
        Not at all, just a pain to get it to engage consistently.