• Horsepower Freaks single turbo Stage I N54 upgrade kit progress, startup video - Aiming for $5950 intro price

      Many tuners have attempted single turbo setups on the BMW N54 direct injected turbo 6. Up to this point, nobody has been able to come to market with a reliable solution. HPF announced they intended to provide a single turbo kit for the N54 last year. They seem to be progressing further than anyone else and making it into a reality. Expect dyno numbers to come soon but for now the details we have are that this kit will be able to run any Precision T4 Turbo from a 67 to a 76.

      Additionally, HPF is aiming for a starting price of $5950 which will include the turbo manifold, journal bearing Precision turbo, wastegate, oil scavenge pump and hardware, downpipe, intake charge pipe, motor mount, motor mount relocation kit, VBrace, fittings, couplers, etc. This will really shift the N54 turbo upgrade options and be incredibly competitive. After this is released expect a Stage II with fueling upgrade but that is further down the line.

      Good job so far HPF, good job indeed.



      This article was originally published in forum thread: Eric's HPF Single Turbo N54 Is ALIVE - VIDEO started by HPF Chris View original post
      Comments 233 Comments
      1. Forcefed's Avatar
        Forcefed -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        This would require Cobb and HPF working together. It seems Shiv has somehow forced his way in.
        I doubt COBB will team up with HPF anytime soon. They are just getting to RB's. Until there is a standalone or flash controlling the HPF kit, I wouldnt buy it.
      1. Laloosh's Avatar
        Laloosh -
        Keep in mind Cobb makes hard parts. With that said they don't need to join forces with anyone.
      1. Forcefed's Avatar
        Forcefed -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
        Keep in mind Cobb makes hard parts. With that said they don't need to join forces with anyone.
        Ohhhhh, good point. I forgot they do complete builds. I wish they would make bolt ons and a turbo upgrade Click here to enlarge
      1. Laloosh's Avatar
        Laloosh -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forcefed Click here to enlarge
        Ohhhhh, good point. I forgot they do complete builds. I wish they would make bolt ons and a turbo upgrade Click here to enlarge
        Bolt ons are waste cause the market is flooded. You thing Cobb wants to make a set of downpipes or exhausts? I don't. They will probably see where this bt thing goes wait a little and then kill the price lol.
      1. Forcefed's Avatar
        Forcefed -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
        Bolt ons are waste cause the market is flooded. You thing Cobb wants to make a set of downpipes or exhausts? I don't. They will probably see where this bt thing goes wait a little and then kill the price lol.
        I wouldn't doubt it.
      1. fundahl's Avatar
        fundahl -
        Cobb actually did have a set of downpipes to model and prototype.
      1. orange's Avatar
        orange -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
        Cobb actually did have a set of downpipes to model and prototype.
        I wonder how they fit.
        Which hard pipes do you have on your Z? Recognize my avatar?
      1. fundahl's Avatar
        fundahl -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by orange Click here to enlarge
        I wonder how they fit.
        Which hard pipes do you have on your Z? Recognize my avatar?
        Sure do! Click here to enlarge

        My Z actually started NA, it's the hardtop 2 seater. They are just Z1 pipes with SSQVs. I'm going to switch to 2.5" piping with the upgraded throttle bodies once I decide whether to go with "top mount" or oem location for the new turbo's I'm going to run with the built motor.
      1. klipseracer's Avatar
        klipseracer -
        From the price I've been told by HPF the pricing on the manifold will be affordable. Not some crazy price as some may think.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
        From the price I've been told by HPF the pricing on the manifold will be affordable. Not some crazy price as some may think.
        What is the pricing?
      1. Laloosh's Avatar
        Laloosh -
        probably get it directly from the maker for even cheaper then hpf.

        They are using a journal turbo so 1k, manifold 1.5 tops, external gate 300(you can get them cheaper), dp with recirc for gate, say 500.

        That 2500 plus whatever they want to charge for the cold/hot piping/filter/motor mount and hardware.
        I originally assumed it was the whole kit including fmic/tune, but some are saying that not part of it.

        Buy the mani, cold/hot piping source the rest yourself for a nice savings lol
      1. SSO95's Avatar
        SSO95 -
        oh my. Click here to enlarge
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
        probably get it directly from the maker for even cheaper then hpf.

        They are using a journal turbo so 1k, manifold 1.5 tops, external gate 300(you can get them cheaper), dp with recirc for gate, say 500.

        That 2500 plus whatever they want to charge for the cold/hot piping/filter/motor mount and hardware.
        I originally assumed it was the whole kit including fmic/tune, but some are saying that not part of it.

        Buy the mani, cold/hot piping source the rest yourself for a nice savings lol
        Woah woah woah, they use journal bearing? That's 1990 technology. Where is the double ball bearing?
      1. Brey335i's Avatar
        Brey335i -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
        Woah woah woah, they use journal bearing? That's 1990 technology. Where is the double ball bearing?
        I believe Chris said that you could spec a ball bearing turbo for some extra cost...
      1. Laloosh's Avatar
        Laloosh -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
        Woah woah woah, they use journal bearing? That's 1990 technology. Where is the double ball bearing?
        That is what was listed on e90. If it's a BB then hpf should update the thread and release a lil more details. I would like to see a list of what is included and official turbo specs to see if this even worth it.
      1. klipseracer's Avatar
        klipseracer -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        What is the pricing?
        We can say laloosh overestimated it by a large bit, but it isn't any cheaper than many were hoping. He didn't want to specify it on the other forum so I don't know how they feel about it flying around. PM him, he replied right away with an estimated price.
      1. Forcefed's Avatar
        Forcefed -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
        We can say laloosh overestimated it by a large bit, but it isn't any cheaper than many were hoping. He didn't want to specify it on the other forum so I don't know how they feel about it flying around. PM him, he replied right away with an estimated price.
        Oh just tell us. Its going to come out anyway. Or at least PM me.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
        We can say laloosh overestimated it by a large bit, but it isn't any cheaper than many were hoping. He didn't want to specify it on the other forum so I don't know how they feel about it flying around. PM him, he replied right away with an estimated price.
        That is fine but if it is an estimate it should not be a big deal anyway.

        Always nice to have info here that others don't have...
      1. orange's Avatar
        orange -
        They should just offer the BB hair dryers off the bat. Albeit they are a little more expensive but worth IMHO.

        Here's some facts:
        • Journal Turbos take slightly longer to spool, by as much as 15%.
        • BB turbos reduce the amount of oil needed to lubricate those suckers, eliminating any potential oil ingestion and/or oil leaks.
        • BB turbos can spin a lot faster vs journal turbos. Efficiency = mo powaa

        All translates to some terror hitting the roads soon! Sign me up baby!Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by orange Click here to enlarge
        They should just offer the BB hair dryers off the bat. Albeit they are a little more expensive but worth IMHO.
        Right thing is to leave it to the consumer to decide. A low price point is enticing and everything boils down to cost these days it seems.