• Horsepower Freaks single turbo Stage I N54 upgrade kit progress, startup video - Aiming for $5950 intro price

      Many tuners have attempted single turbo setups on the BMW N54 direct injected turbo 6. Up to this point, nobody has been able to come to market with a reliable solution. HPF announced they intended to provide a single turbo kit for the N54 last year. They seem to be progressing further than anyone else and making it into a reality. Expect dyno numbers to come soon but for now the details we have are that this kit will be able to run any Precision T4 Turbo from a 67 to a 76.

      Additionally, HPF is aiming for a starting price of $5950 which will include the turbo manifold, journal bearing Precision turbo, wastegate, oil scavenge pump and hardware, downpipe, intake charge pipe, motor mount, motor mount relocation kit, VBrace, fittings, couplers, etc. This will really shift the N54 turbo upgrade options and be incredibly competitive. After this is released expect a Stage II with fueling upgrade but that is further down the line.

      Good job so far HPF, good job indeed.



      This article was originally published in forum thread: Eric's HPF Single Turbo N54 Is ALIVE - VIDEO started by HPF Chris View original post
      Comments 233 Comments
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Too lazy to go to a new thread. But damn good game. I really thought the Saints had it after that last TD.
      1. Laloosh's Avatar
        Laloosh -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I'm not claiming to be a turbo expert, you are. Apparently such an expert you can't figure out how to pick your own housing, bearings, etc. Doesn't give me all that much confidence in your expertise when you can't go further from what they already gave you... if you want to talk about looking stupid.
        Lmao if you only knew what an idiot you sound like now. Before you try to make some smart ass remark please educate yourself on what ar inlet outlet ect do. Actually first figure out what they mean.

        Btw go niners.
      1. Forcefed's Avatar
        Forcefed -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
        Lmao if you only knew what an idiot you sound like now. Before you try to make some smart ass remark please educate yourself on what ar inlet outlet ect do. Actually first figure out what they mean.

        Btw go niners.
        Just go pick which one you would like to use; or wait for HPF.

        Btw booooo, you would pick San Fran Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
        Lmao if you only knew what an idiot you sound like now. Before you try to make some smart ass remark please educate yourself on what ar inlet outlet ect do. Actually first figure out what they mean.

        Btw go niners.
        Once again I'm not claiming to be the turbo expert, you are. Apparently the info HPF provided wasn't enough for the self proclaimed expert to tailor his turbo options to his motor? Makes you look stupid, not me.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forcefed Click here to enlarge
        Just go pick which one you would like to use; or wait for HPF.
        He's apparently too brilliant to do that.
      1. Laloosh's Avatar
        Laloosh -
        Giving power estimation without knowing details is useless. Why would I pick one when hpf already did? Self proclaimed expert? Not really bi I've done this before first hand unlike some on here that do nothing but run their mouths and wallets.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
        Why would I pick one when hpf already did?
        If you know as much as you think you do why don't you tell us what the optimum setup would be? So you are saying you just blindly accept what HPF chose despite being told you have different options?

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
        Not really bi I've done this before first hand unlike some on here that do nothing but run their mouths and wallets.
        Thus far, all you have done is run your mouth.
      1. Laloosh's Avatar
        Laloosh -
        You are too uneducated to understand why I Cantrell you what hpf picked. Manifold size, space limitations, power goals ect.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
        You are too uneducated to understand why I Cantrell you what hpf picked. Manifold size, space limitations, power goals ect.
        You may want to at least spell correctly before calling people uneducated.

        I want you to lay out for everyone here what Precision T4 turbo setup you would use given the options that will work as HPF stated. Please lay it out with a detailed compressor map paired to the N54 and estimate using the Volumetric Efficiency for the motor what type of peak power and curve we are looking at showing why you made your choice.

        Let's have it expert. Let's some substance from you rather than insults. Go ahead, let's see your education and experience applied considering you say you know all of this and have already done it.
      1. themyst's Avatar
        themyst -
        Can we please see some quarter mile results and dyno sheets from HPF before we go bashing them? They got a single turbo up and running, that alone is something that nobody else has accomplished yet.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
        Can we please see some quarter mile results and dyno sheets from HPF before we go bashing them? They got a single turbo up and running, that alone is something that nobody else has accomplished yet.
        Actually, I think everyone is showing them a lot of love. The whole community appreciates this I would think.
      1. Remonster's Avatar
        Remonster -
        Why are people worried about area under the curve being worse than RBs? On the street I already have enough issues with traction (especially since this has been an unusually cold winter in SoCal) so shifting the power curve over to the right is the main reason I would want a big single. My car is tune only and I usually set it to map 0 when I'm in the twisties because I light up my 255 Pilot Super Sports way too easily.Then again, I'm just a lowly N55 owner so none of this will benefit me any time soon.
      1. themyst's Avatar
        themyst -
        One thing's for sure, if they're pushing 600rwhp on that single turbo, kiss that 6AT tranny goodbye Click here to enlarge
      1. Laloosh's Avatar
        Laloosh -
        I type from my phone as I'm never home. Blame iPhones spell check and my lack of care to give a $#@! about grammer

        If space isn't an issue and a 6265 is the goal I would go with a .9 bb 4 inlet biggest outlet
      1. Brey335i's Avatar
        Brey335i -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
        One thing's for sure, if they're pushing 600rwhp on that single turbo, kiss that 6AT tranny goodbye Click here to enlarge
        I know a few members are running RB's on stock 6AT trannys, but even that is a question of "when" and not "if"... but with any more power, you can be sure that the 6AT won't last long. Wonder how hard it would be to swap to a 6MT...
      1. Malaka1's Avatar
        Malaka1 -
        That car is blowing out quite a bit of white smoke! Could be nothing..who knows.
      1. Laloosh's Avatar
        Laloosh -
        Actually the tranny might be better off with a big turbo due to the decreased tq.
      1. Forcefed's Avatar
        Forcefed -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Brey335i Click here to enlarge
        I know a few members are running RB's on stock 6AT trannys, but even that is a question of "when" and not "if"... but with any more power, you can be sure that the 6AT won't last long. Wonder how hard it would be to swap to a 6MT...
        Probably pretty difficult. If only I could.. I would.
      1. Forcefed's Avatar
        Forcefed -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
        Actually the tranny might be better off with a big turbo due to the decreased tq.
        Thats what I am hoping for. I would love to see 500whp and 430wtq. But that is just because I am AT, unfortunately. I have found where you can buy a MT transmission for $1500, but I know there would be many other things that need to be replaced.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
        If space isn't an issue and a 6265 is the goal I would go with a .9 bb 4 inlet biggest outlet
        When your off your phone I would like to see a more detailed breakdown on the reasoning behind your choice.