• Horsepower Freaks single turbo Stage I N54 upgrade kit progress, startup video - Aiming for $5950 intro price

      Many tuners have attempted single turbo setups on the BMW N54 direct injected turbo 6. Up to this point, nobody has been able to come to market with a reliable solution. HPF announced they intended to provide a single turbo kit for the N54 last year. They seem to be progressing further than anyone else and making it into a reality. Expect dyno numbers to come soon but for now the details we have are that this kit will be able to run any Precision T4 Turbo from a 67 to a 76.

      Additionally, HPF is aiming for a starting price of $5950 which will include the turbo manifold, journal bearing Precision turbo, wastegate, oil scavenge pump and hardware, downpipe, intake charge pipe, motor mount, motor mount relocation kit, VBrace, fittings, couplers, etc. This will really shift the N54 turbo upgrade options and be incredibly competitive. After this is released expect a Stage II with fueling upgrade but that is further down the line.

      Good job so far HPF, good job indeed.



      This article was originally published in forum thread: Eric's HPF Single Turbo N54 Is ALIVE - VIDEO started by HPF Chris View original post
      Comments 233 Comments
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
        I wonder if hpf or shiv will release details on their turbo specs. Once that is know I can give u guys a better prediction
        HPF did release their turbo specs.
      1. Forcefed's Avatar
        Forcefed -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I think it is accurate considering that they have listed the kit features, pricing, and will have public dyno numbers posted soon. That in my mind pushes it further and is accurate is it not?
        Specs wise, yes. But at the end of the day, its still not driving. We have not seen it put down any power on the street or dyno.
      1. bobS's Avatar
        bobS -
        2012 will be a big year for n54 tuning....when you look at HPF's e46 m3 kits, it's easy to expect big things from this stg1 and stg2 n54 single turbo
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forcefed Click here to enlarge
        Specs wise, yes. But at the end of the day, its still not driving. We have not seen it put down any power on the street or dyno.
        But dyno numbers in the video were announced as coming soon so clearly it has to be putting power down.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
        2012 will be a big year for n54 tuning....when you look at HPF's e46 m3 kits, it's easy to expect big things from this stg1 and stg2 n54 single turbo
        It really is not fair to compare the N54 to the S54 kits just because it happens to be a single turbo inline 6 they are doing.
      1. bobS's Avatar
        bobS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        It really is not fair to compare the N54 to the S54 kits just because it happens to be a single turbo inline 6 they are doing.
        I understand but I guess I meant I'm comparing their quality of their kits and ability lead the development of a platform. At least that's my opinion, I'm pretty impressed with what they've done with the S54, can't wait to see what happens with the N54
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
        I understand but I guess I meant I'm comparing their quality of their kits and ability lead the development of a platform.
        That is definitely fair.
      1. BavarianBullet's Avatar
        BavarianBullet -
        Kudos and good luck to HPF. Now that they have started down the road to a big turbo for N54, I think and hope they will follow through with it unlike others.

        My concern is drivability and how much the power curve will shift to the right vs stock or RBs. No doubt if they can fuel it the turbo will make a bit more power on pump from a lot better efficiency but time to boost # at a given RPM and max boost at low RPMs (spool threshold) will be interesting to see how much it moved. On my '11 335 I can hit north of 10psi at 1400rpm without completely flooring it (auto). I kinda doubt the HPF will but it should definitely be more fun past 3500!
      1. Laloosh's Avatar
        Laloosh -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        HPF did release their turbo specs.
        Link? Maybe I missed it but saying its a 6267 doesn't say much and that all I saw posted on it.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
        Link? Maybe I missed it but saying its a 6267 doesn't say much and that all I saw posted on it.
        You know what the turbo is as well as the other turbos that can be used so you can look up specs/compressor maps.
      1. Forcefed's Avatar
        Forcefed -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        But dyno numbers in the video were announced as coming soon so clearly it has to be putting power down.
        Think about how many things they have told us are "coming soon." I am sure HPF will complete this project, but I dont think it will be as soon as people think.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forcefed Click here to enlarge
        Think about how many things they have told us are "coming soon." I am sure HPF will complete this project, but I dont think it will be as soon as people think.
        It will take time, I'm not holding them to any sort of schedule.
      1. Forcefed's Avatar
        Forcefed -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        It will take time, I'm not holding them to any sort of schedule.
        I am not either. It will all come with time. I am in no rush, because I wont be buying this kit. I will be in a faster soon enough Click here to enlarge
      1. Laloosh's Avatar
        Laloosh -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        You know what the turbo is as well as the other turbos that can be used so you can look up specs/compressor maps.
        Knowing what turbo it is doesnt tell me much. Pretty obvious you never delt with turbo upgrade uptions.
        t4/t4 divided, .84/1.0/1.15/ect AR? What inlet/outlet? There alot of things that go into a turbo besides a general name referring to size/trim.Click here to enlarge
      1. Laloosh's Avatar
        Laloosh -
        http://www.sandrperformance.com/Prec...rbo_p_733.html
        For the beginner,read up, google what does what and then you will understand why 'specs' are important.
      1. GG///M3's Avatar
        GG///M3 -
        Will this kit work with the awd 335's?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
        Knowing what turbo it is doesnt tell me much. Pretty obvious you never delt with turbo upgrade uptions.
        t4/t4 divided, .84/1.0/1.15/ect AR? What inlet/outlet? There alot of things that go into a turbo besides a general name referring to size/trim.Click here to enlarge
        So look up all the various options? Or simply ask them for further details? They already told you what turbos work so go ahead and pick your options. Is it really that complicated?

        I run an SC, not a turbo. Regardless, there is more than enough info for you there to do your own research.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
        49ers are playing better than I thought. I could go either way on this game now.
        Ummm, the football thread: http://www.germanboost.com/showthrea...ball-2011-2012
      1. Laloosh's Avatar
        Laloosh -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        So look up all the various options? Or simply ask them for further details? They already told you what turbos work so go ahead and pick your options. Is it really that complicated?

        I run an SC, not a turbo. Regardless, there is more than enough info for you there to do your own research.
        Sorry but you are wrong. Stick to blowers before you look stupid.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
        Sorry but you are wrong. Stick to blowers before you look stupid.
        I'm not claiming to be a turbo expert, you are. Apparently such an expert you can't figure out how to pick your own housing, bearings, etc. Doesn't give me all that much confidence in your expertise when you can't go further from what they already gave you... if you want to talk about looking stupid.