Close

    • DCT Build Part XII - Build complete, pictures of final assembly, transmission cooler, and Viton seals

      Well, this has been a rather lengthy road to completion but the transmission is basically complete. The car was dropped off by SSP last month to Gintani who should have the motor in by the end of this week. The problem is SSP mounted their trans cooler in the location the heat exchanger for the supercharger needs to go so SSP will need to come to Gintani's facility to re-run their lines as the cooler will need to go in a different location. What took so long for this update? Well, we have been waiting, and waiting, and waiting for SSP to send us details on the Viton seals that required 3 redesigns but never received the information on why these seals are superior to the stock units.

      So, I decided to do my own research and here is what I came up with. These are the stock BMW seals used in the DCT. What is wrong with them exactly? We do not know other than they apparently are not up to the task:










      Here are the Viton seals which delayed the project by 3 months. Viton is a synthetic rubber used for seals, O-rings, things of that sort. Viton was likely used as it is less susceptible to decay and already used in BMW applications such as in VANOS. Viton has much higher temperature and chemical resistance characteristics than the stock seals. Here is what they look like:










      This is the DCT cooler that was mounted by SSP up front. This needs to be moved somewhere else as the supercharger heat exchanger will need to go there. This means SSP will need to come out and run their lines again checking all their fluids and so forth before tuning can take place:














      This is the final assembly. So, the transmission is built but it took about a year longer than estimated. I believe I was as patient as possible and hopefully this will all be wrapped up in December with a built motor, built transmission, a YSI, and a ton of horsepower.






































      This article was originally published in forum thread: M3 DCT Build Journal - World's First BMW DCT Build started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 2372 Comments
      1. lughed's Avatar
        lughed -
        Ecambell, you basicly played yourself and ass kissed for some rep points, then got your card pulled. Props for the apology but negative on the ass kissin.
      1. JakeB's Avatar
        JakeB -
        I'm not a big poster but I would like to say it's about time that Jrcart is gone from here!! I hate internet muscles!!!
      1. ZooyorQ's Avatar
        ZooyorQ -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JakeB Click here to enlarge
        I'm not a big poster but I would like to say it's about time that Jrcart is gone from here!! I hate internet muscles!!!
        JRCart reminds me of Saad vs Ryan woon. Provides lots of entertainment value, but in person is actually quite mild. Met him at shift sector, he wasn't at all abrasive.. we had a bunch of BMW's there and he was quite courteous. Not saying his behavior on here is excusable and i have no skin in the game so i don't care but, in person he didn't come off as a dick at all.
      1. nafoo's Avatar
        nafoo -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ZooyorQ Click here to enlarge
        JRCart reminds me of Saad vs Ryan woon. Provides lots of entertainment value, but in person is actually quite mild. Met him at shift sector, he wasn't at all abrasive.. we had a bunch of BMW's there and he was quite courteous. Not saying his behavior on here is excusable and i have no skin in the game so i don't care but, in person he didn't come off as a dick at all.
        That's how it usually goes. The Internet personifies a person's ID much more than how they really are in person Click here to enlarge
      1. GG///M3's Avatar
        GG///M3 -
        What's the story here. How far out before the car is in ur hands Sticky?
      1. Black Sheep's Avatar
        Black Sheep -
        Click here to enlarge
      1. ecampbell's Avatar
        ecampbell -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lughed Click here to enlarge
        Ecambell, you basicly played yourself and ass kissed for some rep points, then got your card pulled. Props for the apology but negative on the ass kissin.
        The only ass I kiss is that of my wife.
      1. ecampbell's Avatar
        ecampbell -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
        What's the story here. How far out before the car is in ur hands Sticky?
        How long is a piece of string?
      1. LZH's Avatar
        LZH -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ecampbell Click here to enlarge
        How long is a piece of string?
        As long as Gintani cuts it Click here to enlarge
      1. ecampbell's Avatar
        ecampbell -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
        As long as Gintani cuts it Click here to enlarge
        what to do...

        on a different note, you going to the event in Chicago in June?
      1. LZH's Avatar
        LZH -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ecampbell Click here to enlarge
        what to do...

        on a different note, you going to the event in Chicago in June?
        Chicago in June ?? No thanks, I'll be in Sardegna the first part of June and the last 2 weeks at our summer home in Maine.
      1. ecampbell's Avatar
        ecampbell -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
        Chicago in June ?? No thanks, I'll be in Sardegna the first part of June and the last 2 weeks at our summer home in Maine.
        No kidding...yacht is usually berthed there when not out racing.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ZooyorQ Click here to enlarge
        JRCart reminds me of Saad vs Ryan woon. Provides lots of entertainment value, but in person is actually quite mild. Met him at shift sector, he wasn't at all abrasive.. we had a bunch of BMW's there and he was quite courteous. Not saying his behavior on here is excusable and i have no skin in the game so i don't care but, in person he didn't come off as a dick at all.
        It's not him who always posts from his account. Rarely is actually.
      1. LZH's Avatar
        LZH -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ecampbell Click here to enlarge
        No kidding...yacht is usually berthed there when not out racing.
        Porto Cervo ?
      1. ecampbell's Avatar
        ecampbell -
        Cagliari
      1. GG///M3's Avatar
        GG///M3 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Black Sheep Click here to enlarge
        Click here to enlarge
        Ahh its over 100 pages long no thanks. Click here to enlarge

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ecampbell Click here to enlarge
        How long is a piece of string?
        As long as 1 wants it to be.
      1. Flinchy's Avatar
        Flinchy -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        custom headers, no cats, full custom 3 inch exhaust.
        twin 3"?

        biiiig


        can't wait to see full boost videos Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge

        can't wait to see full boost videos Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge
        Ya me too.
      1. JakeB's Avatar
        JakeB -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        It's not him who always posts from his account. Rarely is actually.
        If that is the case he may want to take his login info away from the person who is posting. He may be the nicest guy anyone could meet in person, but the posts being made on his behalf are far from becoming! I can say if someone was making me look like a dick I would make sure I took care of it!!
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JakeB Click here to enlarge
        If that is the case he may want to take his login info away from the person who is posting. He may be the nicest guy anyone could meet in person, but the posts being made on his behalf are far from becoming! I can say if someone was making me look like a dick I would make sure I took care of it!!
        Ya you would think so but it's fine he's not in this thread any longer and never will be.