• DCT Build Part XII - Build complete, pictures of final assembly, transmission cooler, and Viton seals

      Well, this has been a rather lengthy road to completion but the transmission is basically complete. The car was dropped off by SSP last month to Gintani who should have the motor in by the end of this week. The problem is SSP mounted their trans cooler in the location the heat exchanger for the supercharger needs to go so SSP will need to come to Gintani's facility to re-run their lines as the cooler will need to go in a different location. What took so long for this update? Well, we have been waiting, and waiting, and waiting for SSP to send us details on the Viton seals that required 3 redesigns but never received the information on why these seals are superior to the stock units.

      So, I decided to do my own research and here is what I came up with. These are the stock BMW seals used in the DCT. What is wrong with them exactly? We do not know other than they apparently are not up to the task:










      Here are the Viton seals which delayed the project by 3 months. Viton is a synthetic rubber used for seals, O-rings, things of that sort. Viton was likely used as it is less susceptible to decay and already used in BMW applications such as in VANOS. Viton has much higher temperature and chemical resistance characteristics than the stock seals. Here is what they look like:










      This is the DCT cooler that was mounted by SSP up front. This needs to be moved somewhere else as the supercharger heat exchanger will need to go there. This means SSP will need to come out and run their lines again checking all their fluids and so forth before tuning can take place:














      This is the final assembly. So, the transmission is built but it took about a year longer than estimated. I believe I was as patient as possible and hopefully this will all be wrapped up in December with a built motor, built transmission, a YSI, and a ton of horsepower.





































      This article was originally published in forum thread: M3 DCT Build Journal - World's First BMW DCT Build started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 2372 Comments
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        .....centri blower, now I am even less worried.

        #junk #slowjunk #outdatedtechnology #mustangstuffonabimmer #crapstangblowM3 #letmeknowhowoftenyouhavetorebuildthatjunkbloweras sembly
      1. klipseracer's Avatar
        klipseracer -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        .....centri blower, now I am even less worried.

        #junk #slowjunk #outdatedtechnology #mustangstuffonabimmer #crapstangblowM3 #letmeknowhowoftenyouhavetorebuildthatjunkbloweras sembly
        Centri's can deal with heat soak a lot better, hook from low speeds better and push bigger top end numbers as well. They just don't have the off idle grunt like a TS. So if you're talking about airport top end races, the centri, if setup properly would actually be a larger threat in my opinion.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        .....centri blower, now I am even less worried.

        #junk #slowjunk #outdatedtechnology #mustangstuffonabimmer #crapstangblowM3 #letmeknowhowoftenyouhavetorebuildthatjunkbloweras sembly
        LOL
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
        They just don't have the off idle grunt like a TS. So if you're talking about airport top end races, the centri, if setup properly would actually be a larger threat in my opinion.
        Hmmmm... you don't say.
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
        Centri's can deal with heat soak a lot better, hook from low speeds better and push bigger top end numbers as well. They just don't have the off idle grunt like a TS. So if you're talking about airport top end races, the centri, if setup properly would actually be a larger threat in my opinion.
        I know the pros and cons but there are more cons than pros, the Mustang and Vette guys do not even run them anymore, the big dawgs are running turbos or twin screws. Since my money race with Sticky is a 1/4 mile that is why I said I am even less worried. You are right about the big end power but in many ways a centri takes many of the negative characteristic of a single big turbo, the bigger the blower the bigger the lag(for lack of a btter term). Lets face it,its pretty dated technology when talking about forced induction applications.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        the Mustang and Vette guys do not even run them anymore
        Since when?

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        the big dawgs are running turbos or twin screws.
        Ummm no they aren't sorry man you just don't know what you're talking about. The big dogs are running this:

      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        Lets face it,its pretty dated technology when talking about forced induction applications.
        Serious, you have no clue what you are talking about right now.
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        All kidding aside Sticky, I am happy for you that it appears this build and all the waiting and headaches is finally about to pay off for you. I honestly hope it meets all your expectations. See you in two weeks....I got some new vanity plates but I wont tell you what they say, I am sure you will get a good look at my rear plate at the event Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        All kidding aside Sticky, I am happy for you that it appears this build and all the waiting and headaches is finally about to pay off for you. I honestly hope it meets all your expectations. See you in two weeks....I got some new vanity plates but I wont tell you what they say, I am sure you will get a good look at my rear plate at the event Click here to enlarge
        I'm breaking in a motor and will be running low boost. How about I just start enjoying my car and we can start the pissing and moaning another time?

        Just run the C63 to see how it looks and then we can move on to bigger and better things as I crank it up.
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Serious, you have no clue what you are talking about right now.
        Lol, Sticky, three and a half years ago when you were planning this build centri's were on their way out, now they are antiques.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        Lol, Sticky, three and a half years ago when you were planning this build centri's were on their way out, now they are antiques.
        I don't even know what to say this to this considering how absurd it is.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        Lol, Sticky, three and a half years ago when you were planning this build centri's were on their way out, now they are antiques.
        Would you explain to me what's so $#@!ty about a centri in a 1/4 mile as well? I'm interested in hearing about it:

      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I'm breaking in a motor and will be running low boost. How about I just start enjoying my car and we can start the pissing and moaning another time?

        Just run the C63 to see how it looks and then we can move on to bigger and better things as I crank it up.
        Breaking in the motor??? You will have two weeks. When you rode in my C at No Fly Zone it had under 1000 miles on it lol, That was the third time it had been to a track in under 1000 miles. Put a hundred miles on it and its good, I think we owe everyone in this thread a Weistec CLK vs the worlds fastest E92 race.
      1. Black Sheep's Avatar
        Black Sheep -
        yes
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        Breaking in the motor??? You will have two weeks. When you rode in my C at No Fly Zone it had under 1000 miles on it lol, That was the third time it had been to a track in under 1000 miles. Put a hundred miles on it and its good, I think we owe everyone in this thread a Weistec CLK vs the worlds fastest E92 race.
        Ya well you'll get that race when the car is running at world's fastest level. I don't know how much time I'll have to break it in and I'm going to do what is best for the car not what is best for anyone else.
      1. M3_WC's Avatar
        M3_WC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        Wrong, well kinda wrong for most tracks they are pulling about 9200-9400 RPM, although I believe they can tune them to pull 10k
        I remember a couple weeks ago at Las Vegas, they were showing Jimmy Johnson's in car with telemetry.

        He was pulling over 10,000 rpms going into turn 1.
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
        I remember a couple weeks ago at Las Vegas, they were showing Jimmy Johnson's in car with telemetry.

        He was pulling over 10,000 rpms going into turn 1.
        So thst Jimmie's secret...cheater lol. Actually you may be correct, I know NASCAR switched over to a new car this year as well as new engine package specs.
      1. M3_WC's Avatar
        M3_WC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        So thst Jimmie's secret...cheater lol. Actually you may be correct, I know NASCAR switched over to a new car this year as well as new engine package specs.
        Probably because they finally switched over to electronic fuel injection. McLaren is providing all the control units.
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
        Probably because they finally switched over to electronic fuel injection. McLaren is providing all the control units.
        Yes fuel injection last year as well as E85 fuel. Maybe someday they will evolve beyond a pushrod motor lol
      1. lughed's Avatar
        lughed -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        Because he is not going to be able to get a 4 liter spinning as fast as a little Honda 2.5 therefore more displacement is needed. There are several ways to make home but hands are tied when you are dealing wit a big V8. Show me a big V8 that revs to 10,000 rpm and don't Tell me an Indy car.
        In theory you may be right but your statement says displacement not revs but like you are now saying, it wont be able to rev high enough which affectively means displacement isnt the problem. Anyway a 4L v8 wouldnt have to rev as high as a 2L to make the same power.