• DCT Build Part XII - Build complete, pictures of final assembly, transmission cooler, and Viton seals

      Well, this has been a rather lengthy road to completion but the transmission is basically complete. The car was dropped off by SSP last month to Gintani who should have the motor in by the end of this week. The problem is SSP mounted their trans cooler in the location the heat exchanger for the supercharger needs to go so SSP will need to come to Gintani's facility to re-run their lines as the cooler will need to go in a different location. What took so long for this update? Well, we have been waiting, and waiting, and waiting for SSP to send us details on the Viton seals that required 3 redesigns but never received the information on why these seals are superior to the stock units.

      So, I decided to do my own research and here is what I came up with. These are the stock BMW seals used in the DCT. What is wrong with them exactly? We do not know other than they apparently are not up to the task:










      Here are the Viton seals which delayed the project by 3 months. Viton is a synthetic rubber used for seals, O-rings, things of that sort. Viton was likely used as it is less susceptible to decay and already used in BMW applications such as in VANOS. Viton has much higher temperature and chemical resistance characteristics than the stock seals. Here is what they look like:










      This is the DCT cooler that was mounted by SSP up front. This needs to be moved somewhere else as the supercharger heat exchanger will need to go there. This means SSP will need to come out and run their lines again checking all their fluids and so forth before tuning can take place:














      This is the final assembly. So, the transmission is built but it took about a year longer than estimated. I believe I was as patient as possible and hopefully this will all be wrapped up in December with a built motor, built transmission, a YSI, and a ton of horsepower.





































      This article was originally published in forum thread: M3 DCT Build Journal - World's First BMW DCT Build started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 2372 Comments
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        Do you really think Sticky is going to drag his candy ass out to Chicago? If I had a dollar for every time somebody on one of these forums said they were going to come to Chicago to race me....
        What do other people have to do with me? And have I ever not been to any race/event I said I would meet you at?

        I WANT to go to Chicago. Any racing would be a by-product of that. I don't see the big deal or the reason for any doubt.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        ...next Friday they will have another excuse and so on and so forth

        Look on the bright side Sticky, the longer they don;t have your junk heap done the longer you will be able to hold on to your $1000
        Cool I can take that $1000 and go buy another M3 to mod with how much cash that is.

        Junk heap? I never put your car down. Once again, who cares how long? The most important thing is getting it right. Too bad you can't be constructive or treat it in good fun. Your tone is getting kind of sad.
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        What do other people have to do with me? And have I ever not been to any race/event I said I would meet you at?

        I WANT to go to Chicago. Any racing would be a by-product of that. I don't see the big deal or the reason for any doubt.
        Let me know when you will be here I will cal the owner of Byron and reserve a private rental for us.
      1. Mr.Squeeze's Avatar
        Mr.Squeeze -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        LMAO!!!!!
        It might be a few day's, but I really dont think even if it does start you two are going to be racing they want him to do a long break in.
        They also hope his transmission works the way its supose to, and they was told it would work best after 2500 miles.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        Let me know when you will be here I will cal the owner of Byron and reserve a private rental for us.
        That sounds good.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mr.Squeeze Click here to enlarge
        It might be a few day's, but I really dont think even if it does start you two are going to be racing they want him to do a long break in.
        They also hope his transmission works the way its supose to, and they was told it would work best after 2500 miles.
        Nothing a weekend trip to go wine tasting in Napa won't fix quickly...
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Cool I can take that $1000 and go buy another M3 to mod with how much cash that is.

        Junk heap? I never put your car down. Once again, who cares how long? The most important thing is getting it right. Too bad you can't be constructive or treat it in good fun. Your tone is getting kind of sad.

        Junk heap in it's current state......Can't argue that, can you?

        My tone might be getting sad but so are the excuses and your constantly covering Gintani's ass on this build. For the first two years you used the clutch company as an excuse....the excuse train is all empty.
      1. Mr.Squeeze's Avatar
        Mr.Squeeze -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Nothing a weekend trip to go wine tasting in Napa won't fix quickly...

        That's if it work's right ,I hope it does because this would kill your hold build that sure was a very long time whoever had your transmission just to do a half ass job.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        Junk heap in it's current state......Can't argue that, can you?
        It's pretty simple to argue that a vehicle that has parts removed doesn't suddenly become a piece of junk. So what, when you have to drop the motor in a 996tt to do some turbo work it's a junk heap until the motor is put back in? The car and parts lose their value? What are you talking about? Your car was a junk heap while it was being worked on? Logical.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        My tone might be getting sad but so are the excuses and your constantly covering Gintani's ass on this build.
        What excuse am I making? I'm not bothered here. It's fine, they are working on it and getting it right. Nobody else is working on these cars to this level. So it's easy to criticize them for simply quietly working on it. It will be up soon enough, so what?

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        For the first two years you used the clutch company as an excuse....the excuse train is all empty.
        SSP took a lot longer than quoted, that's what happened. I don't know how reality is an excuse but whatever you want. Car is almost done, I'm on my Vegas, life is good. Smile man, go get a massage, you're too tense.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mr.Squeeze Click here to enlarge
        Thats if it work's right ,I hope it does because this would kill your hold build that sure was a very long time whoever had your transmission just to do a half ass job.
        If they didn't get it right it will just look bad for them. But from the entire build documented here looks to me like they got it right.

        Don't see any reason why it wouldn't work right. If there are any hiccups we'll iron them out, part of the process.
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        It's pretty simple to argue that a vehicle that has parts removed doesn't suddenly become a piece of junk. So what, when you have to drop the motor in a 996tt to do some turbo work it's a junk heap until the motor is put back in? The car and parts lose their value? What are you talking about? Your car was a junk heap while it was being worked on?

        So now you're talking about losing value??? YES your car has lost about half it's value in the past 37 months it has been sitting.

        You can show me a $#@!ing Ferrari Enzo that has sat for three plus years with no motor in it and done nothing but collected dust and I will call it a junk heap too. Sorry bud but you are completely missing the point here. BUILDS DON'T TAKE 3 PLUS YEARS. Want my opinion? They shuffled you to the back of the line and they work on it whenever they get some spare time, $#@! does not take this long, but here we are again, another week gone by and your car was suppoed to be "running" but it's not and now you're just happy as a damn clam headed to Vegas.....how about you hold somebodies ass to the fire for a change and grow a pair and maybe they will take you seriously and get your $#@! done.

        So keep on calling me the bad guy for riding your ass but what you need is a good old fashioned intervention becasue just like a junkie you are in denial.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        So now you're talking about losing value??? YES your car has lost about half it's value in the past 37 months it has been sitting.
        Based on what? And cars depreciate, so what? It's a toy not an investment. But that doesn't make it a pile of junk. It's a low mileage highly built E92 M3. Sorry, just not accurate.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        You can show me a $#@!ing Ferrari Enzo that has sat for three plus years with no motor in it and done nothing but collected dust and I will call it a junk heap too.
        Well I don't really have anything to say other than your criteria for determining a junk heap is stupid.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        BUILDS DON'T TAKE 3 PLUS YEARS
        You're entitled to your opinion. But there are some highly detailed builds here that have been in process for longer. The community appreciates the. You're issue with the timetable is pretty tiresome. Give it a rest, I don't care.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        o keep on calling me the bad guy for riding your ass but what you need is a good old fashioned intervention becasue just like a junkie you are in denial.
        Ok cool.
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Based on what? And cars depreciate, so what? It's a toy not an investment. But that doesn't make it a pile of junk. It's a low mileage highly built E92 M3. Sorry, just not accurate.
        You are the one that brought up the cars value in an earlier post, not me!!!!!
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        You are the one that brought up the cars value in an earlier post, not me!!!!!
        Due to awkward and negative junk comment. Ya, it's junk ok whatever.
      1. nafoo's Avatar
        nafoo -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        If I call Sticky will never get his damn car back completed. I am a ruthless mother $#@!er and I will call those $#@!es at gintani out in a $#@!ing heartbeat. They might be able to pull the wool over Sticky's eyes but I have been around the block a couple more times than him. I bet his car does not go down a track for another three months.
        I say you just call them and get this over with.
      1. rooringhusky's Avatar
        rooringhusky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        So now you're talking about losing value??? YES your car has lost about half it's value in the past 37 months it has been sitting.

        You can show me a $#@!ing Ferrari Enzo that has sat for three plus years with no motor in it and done nothing but collected dust and I will call it a junk heap too. Sorry bud but you are completely missing the point here. BUILDS DON'T TAKE 3 PLUS YEARS. Want my opinion? They shuffled you to the back of the line and they work on it whenever they get some spare time, $#@! does not take this long, but here we are again, another week gone by and your car was suppoed to be "running" but it's not and now you're just happy as a damn clam headed to Vegas.....how about you hold somebodies ass to the fire for a change and grow a pair and maybe they will take you seriously and get your $#@! done.

        So keep on calling me the bad guy for riding your ass but what you need is a good old fashioned intervention becasue just like a junkie you are in denial.
        This response from JRCART is very harsh but is much needed....Sticky you keep criticizing this guy for "calling you out" on your car but he only means the best for you...Take a step back and realize how much trouble he goes through to get you to actually call and follow up with Gintani, etc...

        Im with nafoo on this one...Get it done JRCART lol and record it...Week is already over with no sign of engine startup....This thread is so tiresome after 3 yrs...
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rooringhusky Click here to enlarge
        This response from JRCART is very harsh but is much needed....Sticky you keep criticizing this guy for "calling you out" on your car but he only means the best for you..
        What am I critcizing? Calling me out to race is fun I have said forever I have no problem with that and it's all in good fun as far as I'm concerned. Calling my car a piece of junk and putting people down because he is isolated from what is going on and thinks he knows what the timeframe should be is petty, childish, and absurd.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rooringhusky Click here to enlarge
        This thread is so tiresome after 3 yrs...
        Sorry it's not all as simple as you guys think it is.
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rooringhusky Click here to enlarge
        This response from JRCART is very harsh but is much needed....Sticky you keep criticizing this guy for "calling you out" on your car but he only means the best for you...Take a step back and realize how much trouble he goes through to get you to actually call and follow up with Gintani, etc...

        Im with nafoo on this one...Get it done JRCART lol and record it...Week is already over with no sign of engine startup....This thread is so tiresome after 3 yrs...
        Yep, and now they are saying "next week" and next week will be here before you know it and they will push it off another week.

        I have nothing against Sticky, had dinner, drinks and hung with him two weeks ago at no Fly Zone event. Sticky's type B personality is getting him the shaft. Nice guys finish last Sticky, time to up the pressure. This $#@!ing battered wife syndrom looks terrible.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        Yep, and now they are saying "next week" and next week will be here beofre you know it and they will push it off another week.

        I have nothing against Sticky, had dinner, drinks and hung with him two weeks ago at no Fly Zone event. Sticky's type B personality is getting him the shaft. Nice guys finish last Sticky, time to up the pressure. This $#@!ing battered wife syndrom looks terrible.
        Ya everyone on this forum and every other forum knows how type B I am.

        Or maybe I understand what is going on and am not interested in pointlessly burning turner bridges but building them and sharing the process with the community. Flame away.
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Ya everyone on this forum and every other forum knows how type B I am.

        Or maybe I understand what is going on and am not interested in pointlessly burning turner bridges but building them and sharing the process with the community. Flame away.
        If you know what is going on why on earth would you post on Sunday that your car would be started this week and begin engine break in next week????????

        Sticky, I comprehend EVERYTHING I read, I was not born last night so as while you might be able to pass this off as part of the "master plan" of the build once again sht did not happen, so now I ask you , why I am the bad guy for simply bringing this to light? Do you or did you not say the car should be running this week????? At what point do you hold their asses to the fire?

        I will play the role of the bastard bad guy if it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside but at the end of the day I have two cars that go dow the race track and you have nothing but Gintani excuses to run at the track!