• DCT Build Part XII - Build complete, pictures of final assembly, transmission cooler, and Viton seals

      Well, this has been a rather lengthy road to completion but the transmission is basically complete. The car was dropped off by SSP last month to Gintani who should have the motor in by the end of this week. The problem is SSP mounted their trans cooler in the location the heat exchanger for the supercharger needs to go so SSP will need to come to Gintani's facility to re-run their lines as the cooler will need to go in a different location. What took so long for this update? Well, we have been waiting, and waiting, and waiting for SSP to send us details on the Viton seals that required 3 redesigns but never received the information on why these seals are superior to the stock units.

      So, I decided to do my own research and here is what I came up with. These are the stock BMW seals used in the DCT. What is wrong with them exactly? We do not know other than they apparently are not up to the task:










      Here are the Viton seals which delayed the project by 3 months. Viton is a synthetic rubber used for seals, O-rings, things of that sort. Viton was likely used as it is less susceptible to decay and already used in BMW applications such as in VANOS. Viton has much higher temperature and chemical resistance characteristics than the stock seals. Here is what they look like:










      This is the DCT cooler that was mounted by SSP up front. This needs to be moved somewhere else as the supercharger heat exchanger will need to go there. This means SSP will need to come out and run their lines again checking all their fluids and so forth before tuning can take place:














      This is the final assembly. So, the transmission is built but it took about a year longer than estimated. I believe I was as patient as possible and hopefully this will all be wrapped up in December with a built motor, built transmission, a YSI, and a ton of horsepower.





































      This article was originally published in forum thread: M3 DCT Build Journal - World's First BMW DCT Build started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 2372 Comments
      1. partlowr's Avatar
        partlowr -
        Lol, Sticky, the SPEC Clutch Flywheel banner at the top of my page is a nice touch, nice one man!
      1. TZ04XJR's Avatar
        TZ04XJR -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Hey @SSPKris this is a VW owner form this forum, let me guess, you want to blame him or the shop doing his engine work for you coming up short? Seems to be a pattern:



        Hmmm...

        Woooow...

        I'll say it again.. I have a feeling SSPKris is VERY familiar with the DTPA.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by partlowr Click here to enlarge
        Lol, Sticky, the SPEC Clutch Flywheel banner at the top of my page is a nice touch, nice one man!
        Spec is miles ahead of SSP in actually delivering products. And they don't take two years... and come up worse than when you started.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TZ04XJR Click here to enlarge
        Woooow...

        I'll say it again.. I have a feeling SSPKris is VERY familiar with the DTPA.
        So far three Texas attorneys on this forum have contacted me who want nothing more than to get the green light on this.

        Click here to enlarge
      1. TZ04XJR's Avatar
        TZ04XJR -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        So far three Texas attorneys on this forum have contacted me who want nothing more than get the green light on this.

        http://www.germanboost.com/images/im...04/KIjs0-1.png
        That's your best bet for recourse.. Just the mention of DTPA got me $3000 and a good replacement part out of a parts supplier recently that sold me some junk. They tried to laugh me off and 2 days later they were wiring the money into my checking account realizing I'm not some pushover.

        Good luck Joe, I think he's hung himself even with his petty posts here. Anyone with common sense can see this guy deserves to be held accountable. You seem to have been patient enough..
      1. Linracing's Avatar
        Linracing -
        This forum is 10000000X better than another forum I have ever been on! lol
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TZ04XJR Click here to enlarge
        You seem to have been patient enough..
        I really don't know how much more patient one can be. He even had the opportunity to simply try to make this trans work. He could have easily been there when they fired it up (which he said he intended to be) but it seems he knows and everyone else knows it simply was never going to work. Probably why I didn't even get $600 worth of lines and fittings. Waste of time and he has nothing more than weak attempts at trying to change the subject to get the focus off SSP's weak trans work.
      1. StinkyM's Avatar
        StinkyM -
        Why can't people just do the right thing? Why can't these companies just build a working $#@!ing product? This $#@! annoys the $#@! out of me. Hey, I am just going to take your $#@!ing money and run. This is why I am afraid to take my car to such lengths and truly appreciate it. The headache of spending the money, getting it built right, tuned properly, and running for longterm uses, just doesn't add up to the heartache and pain. Sticky, I can't say I support you 100% since I do not know all of the facts from every party and would rather just stay uninvolved but man do I feel your frustration. That I can say I do feel. Kris' frustration is known because of his obvious lack of professionalism in delivering a working product. Had he delivered to the many customers he has recieved, he would be a happy man. But instead, taking people's money and running with it has just caused more pain in the end for him.

        I see this major trend in the BMW world since BMW has flooded the market with F/I vehicles. It truly sucks. Look at the import world and how untrue the majority of those companies are. Look at the RB market, the 2JZ, Honda, Silvia, etc platforms and you will see 50/50 companies. Some that deliver products and most that don't. Years ago it was Dinan, Bimmerworld, VAC, and Turner at the top and they were the major players in the BMW world. Honest and delivered great products. Now these F/I systems are bringing over new companies and half of them are decent; the other half provide half ass work for an expensive price. Just not where I want to be in the future and hopefully BMW stops selling F/I cars soon. Regardless of how they do it, COMPANIES NEED TO GET THEIR $#@! STRAIGHT! As a matter of fact, I am still waiting for a reply from VAC in whom I am about to trust with a measly $3k of my money for some upgrades. This is going on for a month now and still no reply. Not like VAC.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by StinkyM Click here to enlarge
        Why can't people just do the right thing? Why can't these companies just build a working $#@!ing product? This $#@! annoys the $#@! out of me. Hey, I am just going to take your $#@!ing money and run. This is why I am afraid to take my car to such lengths and truly appreciate it. The headache of spending the money, getting it built right, tuned properly, and running for longterm uses, just doesn't add up to the heartache and pain. Sticky, I can't say I support you 100% since I do not know all of the facts from every party and would rather just stay uninvolved but man do I feel your frustration. That I can say I do feel. Kris' frustration is known because of his obvious lack of professionalism in delivering a working product. Had he delivered to the many customers he has recieved, he would be a happy man. But instead, taking people's money and running with it has just caused more pain in the end for him.

        I see this major trend in the BMW world since BMW has flooded the market with F/I vehicles. It truly sucks. Look at the import world and how untrue the majority of those companies are. Look at the RB market, the 2JZ, Honda, Silvia, etc platforms and you will see 50/50 companies. Some that deliver products and most that don't. Years ago it was Dinan, Bimmerworld, VAC, and Turner at the top and they were the major players in the BMW world. Honest and delivered great products. Now these F/I systems are bringing over new companies and half of them are decent; the other half provide half ass work for an expensive price. Just not where I want to be in the future and hopefully BMW stops selling F/I cars soon. Regardless of how they do it, COMPANIES NEED TO GET THEIR $#@! STRAIGHT! As a matter of fact, I am still waiting for a reply from VAC in whom I am about to trust with a measly $3k of my money for some upgrades. This is going on for a month now and still no reply. Not like VAC.
        This guy has had all the time in the $#@!ing world to make this work. I don't know what else to do. I sent him the trans. I sent him the car. I gave him free advertising. I wrote up an article every step of the way. I did everything I possibly could have. He used my trans to make discs and now doesn't seem to care about making sure the trans from the person that made that all possible for him even works.

        I mean, if he was even a decent human being he would at least give it a shot, try, or point everyone in the right direction. I think we all just need to accept SSP doesn't have the ability beyond simply having people in Asia produce discs for things that are already figured it out. When it gets tough they run away and when people hold them accountable for it they run to different states.

        This guy would rather point fingers in every direction but toward himself. Kris, grow some balls and have some self-respect. I feel sorry for you as a human being.
      1. NikB316's Avatar
        NikB316 -
        Well I doubt we will hear anymore from Kris. After reading that VW post it is even clearer on how big of a joke SSK is. With all the previous problems and now this...really could be the nail in the coffin. The industry is better off without a company that steals and scams enthusiasts.
      1. inter1032's Avatar
        inter1032 -
        wow...cant believe how unprofessional some companies are.
        real good way to gain business Click here to enlarge
      1. nafoo's Avatar
        nafoo -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin Click here to enlarge
        I have to wonder how you can get lawyers involved for a service you never paid for...as it was free correct?

        Just curious.
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin Click here to enlarge
        Did you sign any sortof contract or have proof of an agreement stating what SSP was going to provide you with?

        I could see if you paid for their services but in this case being the guinea pig for a product that was unsuccessful seems like the best thing to do is just walk away and lick the wound...it'll probably end up costing more in lawyer fees with nobody coming out on top.
        It's clear you aren't familiar with US, let along Texas law.

        Down here in Texas, there are such things as oral contracts because people are taken at their word. Careful what you promise because it can end up costing you everything.

        Good luck Sticky.
      1. 335(ex)(eye)'s Avatar
        335(ex)(eye) -
        Hang em up sticky my man! Hang the $#@!er up!
      1. TZ04XJR's Avatar
        TZ04XJR -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
        It's clear you aren't familiar with US, let along Texas law.

        Down here in Texas, there are such things as oral contracts because people are taken at their word. Careful what you promise because it can end up costing you everything.

        Good luck Sticky.
        Well said..
      1. 335(ex)(eye)'s Avatar
        335(ex)(eye) -
        I bet other people will come out of the wood work with more problems with them ! Its not just u i bet
      1. ZooyorQ's Avatar
        ZooyorQ -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
        It's clear you aren't familiar with US, let along Texas law.

        Down here in Texas, there are such things as oral contracts because people are taken at their word. Careful what you promise because it can end up costing you everything.

        Good luck Sticky.
        I hope Sticky/Kris come to an agreement and it all works out in the end.

        ..

        What was the oral contract and how was it breached? It gets a bit more tricky when you're talking about a joint venture to develop a currently non-existent product.

        If sticky had paid for the work the case would be open/closed. If sticky can prove that his form of payment was providing the development transmission and pro-bono marketing.. well then he may have a leg to stand on.

        Before either of them wind up hiring Bicker & $#@! Associates, LLC they should probably try to come to an agreement. Good lawyers are expensive and will cost a lot more than a $4000 used DCT transmission.

        Why not go half n half on the used DCT? Sticky getting to keep his other transmission as a core for potential future repair or what ever.

        If SSP is really in financial despair have fun getting $100 restitution checks for the next 5 years because you're certainly not going to ring much water from that rock.
      1. nafoo's Avatar
        nafoo -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin Click here to enlarge
        I have to wonder how you can get lawyers involved for a service you never paid for...as it was free correct?

        Just curious.
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ZooyorQ Click here to enlarge
        I hope Sticky/Kris come to an agreement and it all works out in the end.

        ..

        What was the oral contract and how was it breached? It gets a bit more tricky when you're talking about a joint venture to develop a currently non-existent product.

        If sticky had paid for the work the case would be open/closed. If sticky can prove that his form of payment was providing the development transmission and pro-bono marketing.. well then he may have a leg to stand on.

        Before either of them wind up hiring Bicker & $#@! Associates, LLC they should probably try to come to an agreement. Good lawyers are expensive and will cost a lot more than a $4000 used DCT transmission.

        Why not go half n half on the used DCT? Sticky getting to keep his other transmission as a core for potential future repair or what ever.

        If SSP is really in financial despair have fun getting $100 restitution checks for the next 5 years because you're certainly not going to ring much water from that rock.
        I was using oral contracts as an example since that was what the guy I quoted was talking about.

        In my opinion, Sticky has a strong Texas DTPA claim, which can award up to 3x actual damages AND attorney's fees.

        Sounds like Sticky has other attorneys who are willing to help, so hopefully this all gets resolved quickly without the need for a lawsuit.
      1. ZooyorQ's Avatar
        ZooyorQ -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
        I was using oral contracts as an example since that was what the guy I quoted was talking about.

        In my opinion, Sticky has a strong Texas DTPA claim, which can award up to 3x actual damages AND attorney's fees.

        Sounds like Sticky has other attorneys who are willing to help, so hopefully this all gets resolved quickly without the need for a lawsuit.
        Its a day or two into the ordeal hopefully cooler heads will prevail.
      1. MisterEm's Avatar
        MisterEm -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ZooyorQ Click here to enlarge
        Its a day or two into the ordeal hopefully cooler heads will prevail.
        I would hope so on both fronts. Certainly SSP could save a bit of face and return to Sticky what was presented to them regardless of WHY it didn't work - a used serviceable transmission.

        Nothing more. Nothing less.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MisterEm Click here to enlarge
        I would hope so on both fronts. Certainly SSP could save a bit of face and return to Sticky what was presented to them regardless of WHY it didn't work - a used serviceable transmission.

        Nothing more. Nothing less.
        At the very least my trans should be back in working order. Like I said I'll gladly give this thing back in for a working trans. This is simply a hell of paperweight as of right now. My transmission is ruined due to SSP. I don't see what cooler heads have anything to do Kris decided to act petty and completely unprofessional.

        This is what I wrote, how out of line was I?

        Hi Kris,
        My car was recently completed and undergoing break in. Unfortunately there seems to be an issue with the transmission. I’m not pointing fingers but this needs to be resolved obviously so please talk to Alex at Gintani when you can. The number is EDITED, thanks,

        - Joseph - Admin - GermanBoost.com Network
        Instead he comes on here trying to put me down? And pulls things out of his ass that have nothing even remotely to do with his trans work? Ya, quite a guy. All he had to do was say "I'll look into it" but he obviously knows something we all did not. It was never going to work. He wasted everybody's time and simply stretched this out as long as possible to avoid having to do anything with the trans at all. He just wanted the stock discs to copy, that's it. He didn't even bother to see what the damn issue is or even point us in the right direction because he knew this all along. No wonder SSP has been laughed out of South Dakota, the VW market, and now the BMW market.