Close

    • DCT Build Part XII - Build complete, pictures of final assembly, transmission cooler, and Viton seals

      Well, this has been a rather lengthy road to completion but the transmission is basically complete. The car was dropped off by SSP last month to Gintani who should have the motor in by the end of this week. The problem is SSP mounted their trans cooler in the location the heat exchanger for the supercharger needs to go so SSP will need to come to Gintani's facility to re-run their lines as the cooler will need to go in a different location. What took so long for this update? Well, we have been waiting, and waiting, and waiting for SSP to send us details on the Viton seals that required 3 redesigns but never received the information on why these seals are superior to the stock units.

      So, I decided to do my own research and here is what I came up with. These are the stock BMW seals used in the DCT. What is wrong with them exactly? We do not know other than they apparently are not up to the task:










      Here are the Viton seals which delayed the project by 3 months. Viton is a synthetic rubber used for seals, O-rings, things of that sort. Viton was likely used as it is less susceptible to decay and already used in BMW applications such as in VANOS. Viton has much higher temperature and chemical resistance characteristics than the stock seals. Here is what they look like:










      This is the DCT cooler that was mounted by SSP up front. This needs to be moved somewhere else as the supercharger heat exchanger will need to go there. This means SSP will need to come out and run their lines again checking all their fluids and so forth before tuning can take place:














      This is the final assembly. So, the transmission is built but it took about a year longer than estimated. I believe I was as patient as possible and hopefully this will all be wrapped up in December with a built motor, built transmission, a YSI, and a ton of horsepower.






































      This article was originally published in forum thread: M3 DCT Build Journal - World's First BMW DCT Build started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 2372 Comments
      1. LZH's Avatar
        LZH -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lughed Click here to enlarge
        I dont think stating facts or asking simple questions is idiotic and i never once put you or Gintani down. I am not the one calling names. In fact i was vouching for you earlier in the thread saying you just might come out with something that suprises everyone. But i get it, you cant take both sides of the whip!
        Your aware of the questions in the thread is exactly my point but like i said before in response to you, even a stupid person can answer a yes or no question even tho it doesnt seem you can. I wanted to see a nice car built and exceed but you acting like a terd, you better hope, pray that your car exceeds everyones expectations.
        BTW the only thing i am willing to wait on from you is when your car is on the east coast so that i can scrape your ass myself and my car is in no way built for drag racing! How about that?
        Your retarded.
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        Congrats bro, this is very good news for everyone. Can't wait to see it in action at Shift S3ctor.
      1. Sledgehammer's Avatar
        Sledgehammer -
        WOW... Comical beyond believe!

        So the car is running, DCT has software specific to the application and the car needs a break in. So my only question is about the DCT clutch pack setup. Has anyone run the clutch package upgrade and if so hows that working out? Does it hold power?
      1. lughed's Avatar
        lughed -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        So trying to say Gintani and I look bad without having any clue what is going on is you being positive? Thanks so much.



        All details were provided I don't know what to tell you other than learn how to read. I said it would be started but apparently that wasn't good enough. So I did answer the question before it was even asked.



        I'm sorry but whatever it is you have isn't even worth my time. I have a long list of people to race and you aren't anywhere on the radar but you don't have a fast car so your begging for a race is kind of idiotic.
        You and Gintani looking bad rigiht now is a fact. It does not look good that it took 3 years on a build that was suppose to take 10 months.

        You answer the question a week after it was asked multiple times and JRCART kept saying it hasent started yet.

        Now its whatever i have (meaning you acting like you dont know) but yet you seem to know it isnt fast. Nobody over here is begging for a race. Why would i do that when you are already trying to get out of the ones on your list? Im simply stated there is no need for you to act like your build is coming from God himself and everyone needs bow and wait patiently for the coming when you already have two people in your ass putting you to shame before your car is even ready and that i can be a third! But i understand you dont need that pressure so you do the smart thing and keep looking the other way!
      1. lughed's Avatar
        lughed -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
        Your retarded.
        Do you find it funny how Sticky can go into everyone else thread and ask for timelines, and numbers, your average thread questions but in his thread his response is wait for when im ready, name calling, be patient, nobody cares what... blah blah? Like is said before he cant handle both sides of the whip and his build taking so long just adds to it.
      1. AWil335i's Avatar
        AWil335i -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        If Sticky commits to Wannagofast , I will rent Byron and Autobahn a couple days before the event so we can have a head to head shoot out.
        Sign me up for this!
      1. Jake@Eurocharged.com's Avatar
        Jake@Eurocharged.com -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        If Sticky commits to Wannagofast , I will rent Byron and Autobahn a couple days before the event so we can have a head to head shoot out.
        I will join ya Jim for that. Wannagofast chi sold out a while back...
      1. ecampbell's Avatar
        ecampbell -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jake@Eurocharged.com Click here to enlarge
        I will join ya Jim for that. Wannagofast chi sold out a while back...
        Agreed, am also on the waiting list for wannagofast.

        Maybe split the cost with Jimmy and we will start out own annual piss up/party!!
      1. CookieCrisp's Avatar
        CookieCrisp -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        No it's me laughing at you because I have every intention of showing details as I did in 12 freaking parts during the trans build (that not good enough?) and because maybe I wanted to post a video of the car running? Did that thought cross your mind? Sorry, I'm laughing:

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDa0Vi8kYFs
        Congrats Sticky! I can't even imagine the feeling you must've had after getting behind the wheel of your car again. Can't wait to see it set some records
      1. 335(ex)(eye)'s Avatar
        335(ex)(eye) -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        zero % chance.
        Let's say if I wanted to help, how much total to do it right?
      1. 335(ex)(eye)'s Avatar
        335(ex)(eye) -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lughed Click here to enlarge
        That sounds like what she is really saying is... *i would $#@! the $#@! out that guy*... mean while she got you thinking she is thinking he is a lame and she would have no interest.

        Nah ,

        Ps what do u drive anyway? Never seen u post?
      1. Autobahn335i's Avatar
        Autobahn335i -
        Wow, that sounds beast!! Good to see you're finally on the finish line. Now kick some Mercedes Benz ass! Click here to enlarge
      1. MisterEm's Avatar
        MisterEm -
        Sounds great on the dyno Joe. Congratulations.

        Now go break some egos.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lughed Click here to enlarge
        You and Gintani looking bad rigiht now is a fact. It does not look good that it took 3 years on a build that was suppose to take 10 months.

        You answer the question a week after it was asked multiple times and JRCART kept saying it hasent started yet.

        Now its whatever i have (meaning you acting like you dont know) but yet you seem to know it isnt fast. Nobody over here is begging for a race. Why would i do that when you are already trying to get out of the ones on your list? Im simply stated there is no need for you to act like your build is coming from God himself and everyone needs bow and wait patiently for the coming when you already have two people in your ass putting you to shame before your car is even ready and that i can be a third! But i understand you dont need that pressure so you do the smart thing and keep looking the other way!
        Look man I don't know why you're talking you have nothing relevant and have no idea what's going on.

        They look bad for what? Doing what nobody has done? Who are you to talk? Seriously, who are you? Shush child.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 335(ex)(eye) Click here to enlarge
        Let's say if I wanted to help, how much total to do it right?
        No live feed. Edited vid for promotion.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ecampbell Click here to enlarge
        Agreed, am also on the waiting list for wannagofast.

        Maybe split the cost with Jimmy and we will start out own annual piss up/party!!
        Just do our own thing our own rental.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lughed Click here to enlarge
        Do you find it funny how Sticky can go into everyone else thread and ask for timelines, and numbers, your average thread questions but in his thread his response is wait for when im ready, name calling, be patient, nobody cares what... blah blah? Like is said before he cant handle both sides of the whip and his build taking so long just adds to it.
        I've posted everything you just are an idiot.
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Just do our own thing our own rental.
        I would be down with renting Autobahn or preferably Road America and I can get Byron any Mon-Thur I want it and some Fridays, they have sanctioned events and test and tunes pretty much every Saturday and Sunday from mid April until October. Route 66 is an awesome track and it is five minutes from the Autobahn however their tech inspectors are pricks.
      1. lughed's Avatar
        lughed -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 335(ex)(eye) Click here to enlarge
        Nah ,

        Ps what do u drive anyway? Never seen u post?
        m62 turbo e30
      1. Black Sheep's Avatar
        Black Sheep -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ecampbell Click here to enlarge
        Agreed, am also on the waiting list for wannagofast.

        Maybe split the cost with Jimmy and we will start out own annual piss up/party!!
        do it