Close

    • DCT Build Part XII - Build complete, pictures of final assembly, transmission cooler, and Viton seals

      Well, this has been a rather lengthy road to completion but the transmission is basically complete. The car was dropped off by SSP last month to Gintani who should have the motor in by the end of this week. The problem is SSP mounted their trans cooler in the location the heat exchanger for the supercharger needs to go so SSP will need to come to Gintani's facility to re-run their lines as the cooler will need to go in a different location. What took so long for this update? Well, we have been waiting, and waiting, and waiting for SSP to send us details on the Viton seals that required 3 redesigns but never received the information on why these seals are superior to the stock units.

      So, I decided to do my own research and here is what I came up with. These are the stock BMW seals used in the DCT. What is wrong with them exactly? We do not know other than they apparently are not up to the task:










      Here are the Viton seals which delayed the project by 3 months. Viton is a synthetic rubber used for seals, O-rings, things of that sort. Viton was likely used as it is less susceptible to decay and already used in BMW applications such as in VANOS. Viton has much higher temperature and chemical resistance characteristics than the stock seals. Here is what they look like:










      This is the DCT cooler that was mounted by SSP up front. This needs to be moved somewhere else as the supercharger heat exchanger will need to go there. This means SSP will need to come out and run their lines again checking all their fluids and so forth before tuning can take place:














      This is the final assembly. So, the transmission is built but it took about a year longer than estimated. I believe I was as patient as possible and hopefully this will all be wrapped up in December with a built motor, built transmission, a YSI, and a ton of horsepower.





































      This article was originally published in forum thread: M3 DCT Build Journal - World's First BMW DCT Build started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 2372 Comments
      1. Ak335i's Avatar
        Ak335i -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        I would love to see it...Sticky will just say "but that is not a DCT" LMAO
        lol. http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...t-build-thread

        or "impossible". proEFI may be months or a year away. but this will be built and waiting for it
      1. Black Sheep's Avatar
        Black Sheep -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        BRING CASH!!!!
        You don't take Paypal?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        BRING CASH!!!!
        Heh ok I was planning to pay in rep points.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Anyway I'd love to continue but I have to go watch the Ducks dominate the Blackhawks. Later.
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ak335i Click here to enlarge
        lol. http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...t-build-thread

        or "impossible". proEFI may be months or a year away. but this will be built and waiting for it
        who knows, at the rate Sticky's build is going the proEFI build might be done and running sooner.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        who knows, at the rate Sticky's build is going the proEFI build might be done and running sooner.
        Click here to enlarge
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Anyway I'd love to continue but I have to go watch the Ducks dominate the Blackhawks. Later.
        That's not going to happen either....get me the number for your drug dealer, he obviously has some good $#@! Click here to enlarge
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Well, it might.
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Heh ok I was planning to pay in rep points.
        You are going to be paying, I can promise you that.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        You are going to be paying, I can promise you that.
        I can promise you I won't care or lose sleep over it. Win/win for me either way.
      1. rooringhusky's Avatar
        rooringhusky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Just pointing out it's all coming together Click here to enlarge
        LMAO!!

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Now you'll get none.
        HAHA funny!!!! You act as if you were going to give $#@! for info anyways...what a $#@!in joke...Just like the last 30 pages of this thread...

        Your the one who says youll show up to all these events so id assume based on what YOU say that the cars timeline will follow....So since you said youd be at No Fly Zone and Shift Sector (this year and last year) I can say based on your word your car will be ready for the event....Just like when you challeneged Shiv to a race when you didnt even have a car and wasnt ready...Seems like one hell of a BENCH RACER to me....Im only asking for info based on what your bullshitting self has posted up..Stop bullshitting then...LOL doesnt seem you can

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ak335i Click here to enlarge
        back at all of you
        Attachment 28221
        Now this is insult to injury....HAHAHA

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        THERE IS NO HOLDUP.

        THERE ARE NO TRANSMISSION ISSUES.

        Go build it faster if you know better.
        BAHAHAAAH there is no hold up keep telling yourself this....shut the $#@! up with your bull$#@!....What world do you live in...??

        YES you wrote yourself this would be done in 10 weeks on the first page....NO HOLDUP!!!???? Hahahaha your a joke man...Dont bring up the DCT bull$#@! I really dont care...At least be forthcoming then you woldnt have to be so defensive and spew off bull$#@! about making it to events and races...
      1. rooringhusky's Avatar
        rooringhusky -
        Sticky - Today, 05:38 PM




        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        So I should expect to see you at Shift Sector with your car? That is what you are making it sound like



        Yes, you should.

        This all over again.....WOW...Get out of here with that bull$#@! again...you arent showing up to Shift sector who are you kdiding only yourself...

        Even if the car is done...we know your gonna bust out the gay excuses.....HERE comes there engine breakin excuse....
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        e is clealy in denial or on ludes. He is going to force me to dig through this thread and several other pulling out all the quotes he posted when he was at his wits end and those quotes date back to over a year ago before the spring 2012 Shift Sector event he was planning on attending

        No Holdup!!!!

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rooringhusky Click here to enlarge
        LMAO!!



        HAHA funny!!!! You act as if you were going to give $#@! for info anyways...what a $#@!in joke...Just like the last 30 pages of this thread...

        Your the one who says youll show up to all these events so id assume based on what YOU say that the cars timeline will follow....So since you said youd be at No Fly Zone and Shift Sector (this year and last year) I can say based on your word your car will be ready for the event....Just like when you challeneged Shiv to a race when you didnt even have a car and wasnt ready...Seems like one hell of a BENCH RACER to me....Im only asking for info based on what your bullshitting self has posted up..Stop bullshitting then...LOL doesnt seem you can



        Now this is insult to injury....HAHAHA



        BAHAHAAAH there is no hold up keep telling yourself this....shut the $#@! up with your bull$#@!....What world do you live in...??

        YES you wrote yourself this would be done in 10 weeks on the first page....NO HOLDUP!!!???? Hahahaha your a joke man...Dont bring up the DCT bull$#@! I really dont care...At least be forthcoming then you woldnt have to be so defensive and spew off bull$#@! about making it to events and races...
      1. ecampbell's Avatar
        ecampbell -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ak335i Click here to enlarge
        back at all of you
        Attachment 28221
        Im in south Florida waiting for you and seem to have you hook, line, and sinker
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ecampbell Click here to enlarge
        Im in south Florida waiting for you and seem to have you hook, line, and sinker
        Earl, talk about a let down, Gintani is only shooting for 900hp at the crank, he is not in the same league as us. We will rape him, what was he thinking?
      1. Ak335i's Avatar
        Ak335i -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ecampbell Click here to enlarge
        Im in south Florida waiting for you and seem to have you hook, line, and sinker

        Click here to enlarge no doubt. realistically only going for 6-700whp until we can get a fueling solution, but the hardware will be there for 900+ down the road
      1. Autobahn335i's Avatar
        Autobahn335i -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        There is a fall Texas event I will be attending. Shift Sector is in early April then I have a drag event the following week out there.
        At that rate you'll need an engine overhaul before Sticky's engine is even running.
      1. lughed's Avatar
        lughed -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        Call me when Sticky is making north of 1000 who because that is what he is going to Newsroom run with me. I personally don't think anyone can squeeze that kind of power out of the N65 based on displacement alone.
        I stopped reading after this. You do know there are 2.5L engines putting down well over 1000 whp dont you?

        Anyway, im not racing for you guys, I only asked a question you didnt seem to ask yourself. Honestly i dont remember what all Sticky had planned other than building the DCT and a big s/c. Im simply stating that just because Weistec is as you say is "raising the bar" doesnt mean that bar cant be leaped over by a specificly built S65. Just saying
      1. lughed's Avatar
        lughed -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Ya having the most powerful E9X is a joke I guess.

        900 on pump should be funny for all involved.

        Class act.
        $#@!, maybe i should refrain from my last statement...
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lughed Click here to enlarge
        I stopped reading after this. You do know there are 2.5L engines putting down well over 1000 whp dont you?

        Anyway, im not racing for you guys, I only asked a question you didnt seem to ask yourself. Honestly i dont remember what all Sticky had planned other than building the DCT and a big s/c. Im simply stating that just because Weistec is as you say is "raising the bar" doesnt mean that bar cant be leaped over by a specificly built S65. Just saying

        I am not talking about high reving Honda or Nissan, or Rotax Mazda engines, I am well aware of what the import guys are doing and they are doing it with RPM. Show me an S65 motor reving over 10,000rpm then we can talk apples to apples.