Close

    • DCT Build Part XII - Build complete, pictures of final assembly, transmission cooler, and Viton seals

      Well, this has been a rather lengthy road to completion but the transmission is basically complete. The car was dropped off by SSP last month to Gintani who should have the motor in by the end of this week. The problem is SSP mounted their trans cooler in the location the heat exchanger for the supercharger needs to go so SSP will need to come to Gintani's facility to re-run their lines as the cooler will need to go in a different location. What took so long for this update? Well, we have been waiting, and waiting, and waiting for SSP to send us details on the Viton seals that required 3 redesigns but never received the information on why these seals are superior to the stock units.

      So, I decided to do my own research and here is what I came up with. These are the stock BMW seals used in the DCT. What is wrong with them exactly? We do not know other than they apparently are not up to the task:










      Here are the Viton seals which delayed the project by 3 months. Viton is a synthetic rubber used for seals, O-rings, things of that sort. Viton was likely used as it is less susceptible to decay and already used in BMW applications such as in VANOS. Viton has much higher temperature and chemical resistance characteristics than the stock seals. Here is what they look like:










      This is the DCT cooler that was mounted by SSP up front. This needs to be moved somewhere else as the supercharger heat exchanger will need to go there. This means SSP will need to come out and run their lines again checking all their fluids and so forth before tuning can take place:














      This is the final assembly. So, the transmission is built but it took about a year longer than estimated. I believe I was as patient as possible and hopefully this will all be wrapped up in December with a built motor, built transmission, a YSI, and a ton of horsepower.






































      This article was originally published in forum thread: M3 DCT Build Journal - World's First BMW DCT Build started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 2372 Comments
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        Sticky should change the title of this thread to "Gintani's 3 Year Blunder"
        Once again, more than one company involved. This is a DCT TRANSMISSION build thread. Gintani is not responsible for it.
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Black Sheep Click here to enlarge
        JRCart, why did you not attend tx2k13? Seemed right up your alley
        Logistics, cars are in California, I have two events out there in early April and didnt have time to be running back and forth.
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Once again, more than one company involved. This is a DCT TRANSMISSION build thread. Gintani is not responsible for it.
        Gintani has had the car for over 14 months, right?
      1. Black Sheep's Avatar
        Black Sheep -
        I would think that would be the one to attend? No? What's going on in April?
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        So if the motor is ready to go in it should be running tomorrow and you will be at Shift Sector, correct?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
        I hope I don't sound ignorant, but I don't see anything out of the ordinary?
        Just pointing out it's all coming together Click here to enlarge
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Black Sheep Click here to enlarge
        I would think that would be the one to attend? No? What's going on in April?
        There is a fall Texas event I will be attending. Shift Sector is in early April then I have a drag event the following week out there.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rooringhusky Click here to enlarge
        So Sticky, seriously no one gives a $#@! about the picture of your engine on a stand....considering you said it was supposed to be started early last week and this is the best you can show us...WTF...

        Any news or possibly an update you can add to that pointless picture?
        Now you'll get none.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        Gintani has had the car for over 14 months, right?
        I'm not sure but it's not 3 years or whatever you are talking about.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        So if the motor is ready to go in it should be running tomorrow and you will be at Shift Sector, correct?
        You're the one who says he knows everything, you tell me?
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        If I had a completed motor sitting on a stand and ready to bolt in last night my car would be running by the following evening....just saying ....maybe you should do some reading to see how long it takes to bolt in a motor from stand to turn key. Car should be runing as I type this post.
      1. Ak335i's Avatar
        Ak335i -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ecampbell Click here to enlarge
        lol, back at you.
        back at all of you
        Attachment 28221
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        You're the one who says he knows everything, you tell me?
        I will be here glued to my tablet waiting for a video of your car running....assembled anclosed up on a stand last night means it should be running rightr now....That is unless we use a Gintani clock Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        If I had a completed motor sitting on a stand and ready to bolt in last night my car would be running by the following evening....just saying ....maybe you should do some reading to see how long it takes to bolt in a motor from stand to turn key. Car should be runing as I type this post.
        I just don't understand why you literally aren't at Gintani getting my car done single-handedly in 5 hours flat while sipping on a Coors. Just show them how to do it.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        I will be here glued to my tablet waiting for a video of your car running....assembled anclosed up on a stand last night means it should be running rightr now....That is unless we use a Gintani clock Click here to enlarge
        I appreciate the encouragement, thanks!
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I just don't understand why you literally aren't at Gintani getting my car done single-handedly in 5 hours flat while sipping on a Coors. Just show them how to do it.
        CALL OUT ALERT!!!!

        Are you saying that it is not possible to go from the stage shown in the photo you posted to a running car in 8 hours?

        Just stop! Do not even respond becuase you cleary are the one with no clue of anything related to working on a car. If I was $#@!ing waiting over 3 years for a build and the tuner sent me a photo of my "completed" motor closed up and sitting on a stand one night and the car was not running the following evening there would be hell to pay.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        CALL OUT ALERT!!!!

        Are you saying that it is not possible to go from the stage shown in the photo you posted to a running car in 8 hours?
        Yes. Just fly out and go do it as you know better than everyone. Just get it done and show everyone.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        Just stop! Do not even respond becuase you cleary are the one with no clue of anything related to working on a car. If I was $#@!ing waiting over 3 years for a build and the tuner sent me a photo of my "completed" motor closed up and sitting on a stand one night and the car was not running the following evening there would be hell to pay.
        I wouldn't want to be your tuner.
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Yes. Just fly out and go do it as you know better than everyone. Just get it done and show everyone.



        I wouldn't want to be your tuner.
        Oh yes you would, I have tuners contacting me left and right for an opportunity to get their hands on my SLS BS, not to mention several whell manufactureres and a vehichle wrap company wanting to wrap my CLK for free for shift sector. I bet Weistec just hates having me as a customer....
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        Oh yes you would, I have tuners contacting me left and right for an opportunity to get their hands on my SLS BS, not to mention several whell manufactureres and a vehichle wrap company wanting to wrap my CLK for free for shift sector. I bet Weistec just hates having me as a customer....
        All I know is, I need to meet you and learn about what you do lol.
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        My mistake, Gintani must be working on somebody elses car, I see them touting new builds all the time lol, not much talk of you though....things that make you go hmmmm