Close

    • DCT Build Part XII - Build complete, pictures of final assembly, transmission cooler, and Viton seals

      Well, this has been a rather lengthy road to completion but the transmission is basically complete. The car was dropped off by SSP last month to Gintani who should have the motor in by the end of this week. The problem is SSP mounted their trans cooler in the location the heat exchanger for the supercharger needs to go so SSP will need to come to Gintani's facility to re-run their lines as the cooler will need to go in a different location. What took so long for this update? Well, we have been waiting, and waiting, and waiting for SSP to send us details on the Viton seals that required 3 redesigns but never received the information on why these seals are superior to the stock units.

      So, I decided to do my own research and here is what I came up with. These are the stock BMW seals used in the DCT. What is wrong with them exactly? We do not know other than they apparently are not up to the task:










      Here are the Viton seals which delayed the project by 3 months. Viton is a synthetic rubber used for seals, O-rings, things of that sort. Viton was likely used as it is less susceptible to decay and already used in BMW applications such as in VANOS. Viton has much higher temperature and chemical resistance characteristics than the stock seals. Here is what they look like:










      This is the DCT cooler that was mounted by SSP up front. This needs to be moved somewhere else as the supercharger heat exchanger will need to go there. This means SSP will need to come out and run their lines again checking all their fluids and so forth before tuning can take place:














      This is the final assembly. So, the transmission is built but it took about a year longer than estimated. I believe I was as patient as possible and hopefully this will all be wrapped up in December with a built motor, built transmission, a YSI, and a ton of horsepower.






































      This article was originally published in forum thread: M3 DCT Build Journal - World's First BMW DCT Build started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 2372 Comments
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
        Awesome. Hopefully they took some pics of the new long rod setup?
        The sleeves are longer.
      1. benzy89's Avatar
        benzy89 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Good news, car should be started this week. There's going to be hell to pay.
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I'll get you one as soon as they start it.
      1. nafoo's Avatar
        nafoo -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Good news, car should be started this week. There's going to be hell to pay.
        GL HF
      1. NikB316's Avatar
        NikB316 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Good news, car should be started this week. There's going to be hell to pay.
        Nice man! Looking forward to it!
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        Pls lmk when you go. I still didn't even get to meet you and I really wanna see your car start up.

        "It's alive!!!!"
        <br>
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Good news, car should be started this week. There's going to be hell to pay.
        Video or I call bull$#@!
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        Video or I call bull$#@!
        Call whatever or whomever you want. I'd suggest the bank to make sure I still have those odds on the C63 and CLK.
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Call whatever or whomever you want. I'd suggest the bank to make sure I still have those odds on the C63 and CLK.
        Odds were on the CLK....I am not worried, don't worry.
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Call whatever or whomever you want. I'd suggest the bank to make sure I still have those odds on the C63 and CLK.
        You have no idea whats going on do you? LMAO......just wait Click here to enlarge
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Sticky, when I beat you I want somebody from Gintani to hand me the $1000, ok? It can be your money but I want one of them to hand it to me.
      1. Black Sheep's Avatar
        Black Sheep -
        Lol
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        Odds were on the CLK....I am not worried, don't worry.
        I thought both but that's fine.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        Sticky, when I beat you I want somebody from Gintani to hand me the $1000, ok? It can be your money but I want one of them to hand it to me.
        Ok and when I beat you I want it all in Euros, handed to me in Paris, by Jay Z.
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I thought both but that's fine.
        Come on man, I never offered those 10 to 1 odds on the C. C will never see drag radials mounted to it, if you want to race me around Willow Springs I will give you 20 to 1 odds and I will use the C.
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Ok and when I beat you I want it all in Euros, handed to me in Paris, by Jay Z.
        You can lay down any pay requests you wish, fact is I will not lose therefore I will not be paying.
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        I am going to have a friend at the race between the CLK and your car carrying a camera around just to get footage of Gintani peoples faces when you lose your first race after three plus years of building...gonna be $#@!ing priceless.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        Come on man, I never offered those 10 to 1 odds on the C. C will never see drag radials mounted to it, if you want to race me around Willow Springs I will give you 20 to 1 odds and I will use the C.
        I'll take all the bets.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        I am going to have a friend at the race between the CLK and your car carrying a camera around just to get footage of Gintani peoples faces when you lose your first race after three plus years of building...gonna be $#@!ing priceless.
        Heh man I may be on low boost for now but we'll see if I did to spin her up. Might want to be careful as I will reference these posts...
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        You can lay down any pay requests you wish, fact is I will not lose therefore I will not be paying.
        Hey that's the spirit.
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Heh man I may be on low boost for now but we'll see if I did to spin her up. Might want to be careful as I will reference these posts...
        ...and I will be referencing these posts as well. Trust me, you bit off more than you can chew this time.