Close

    • DCT Build Part XII - Build complete, pictures of final assembly, transmission cooler, and Viton seals

      Well, this has been a rather lengthy road to completion but the transmission is basically complete. The car was dropped off by SSP last month to Gintani who should have the motor in by the end of this week. The problem is SSP mounted their trans cooler in the location the heat exchanger for the supercharger needs to go so SSP will need to come to Gintani's facility to re-run their lines as the cooler will need to go in a different location. What took so long for this update? Well, we have been waiting, and waiting, and waiting for SSP to send us details on the Viton seals that required 3 redesigns but never received the information on why these seals are superior to the stock units.

      So, I decided to do my own research and here is what I came up with. These are the stock BMW seals used in the DCT. What is wrong with them exactly? We do not know other than they apparently are not up to the task:










      Here are the Viton seals which delayed the project by 3 months. Viton is a synthetic rubber used for seals, O-rings, things of that sort. Viton was likely used as it is less susceptible to decay and already used in BMW applications such as in VANOS. Viton has much higher temperature and chemical resistance characteristics than the stock seals. Here is what they look like:










      This is the DCT cooler that was mounted by SSP up front. This needs to be moved somewhere else as the supercharger heat exchanger will need to go there. This means SSP will need to come out and run their lines again checking all their fluids and so forth before tuning can take place:














      This is the final assembly. So, the transmission is built but it took about a year longer than estimated. I believe I was as patient as possible and hopefully this will all be wrapped up in December with a built motor, built transmission, a YSI, and a ton of horsepower.





































      This article was originally published in forum thread: M3 DCT Build Journal - World's First BMW DCT Build started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 2372 Comments
      1. nafoo's Avatar
        nafoo -
        If I never knew about this thread and just happened across it after the build was finished I would haven't have thought twice about the time period.

        Thats what happened with the two other build threads I came across (George smooth's merc and the rx7 chassis)
      1. MisterEm's Avatar
        MisterEm -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Oh no, not at all. The dynamic changes when I'm involved.
        I am really intrigued to see how your DCT build turns out. I like the technology even though I am still a 6MT guy. The ceiling is high.
      1. PEI330Ci's Avatar
        PEI330Ci -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        You're one of the few people who understands, appreciates, and doesn't criticize.
        That's very kind of you.

        While I may have the ability to bury people in technical criticism, I haven't found it does anything to help a situation. In fact, I've found it can backfire rather spectacularly, and move people further away from solutions.
      1. Legionofboom's Avatar
        Legionofboom -
        Guys, its like HPF's N54..

        Its not a bad thing, it takes time, and sticky is ready to wait.
      1. RnmEvo9's Avatar
        RnmEvo9 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge
        Guys, its like HPF's N54..

        Its not a bad thing, it takes time, and sticky is ready to wait.
        Guess we won't see a teaser until 2014-2015.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 Click here to enlarge
        Guess we won't see a teaser until 2014-2015.
        The wait is basically over.
      1. NikB316's Avatar
        NikB316 -
        I'm sure this has been asked and could be difficult to answer, but an ETA based on the above comment?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NikB316 Click here to enlarge
        I'm sure this has been asked and could be difficult to answer, but an ETA based on the above comment?
        Nothing more than weeks now that I can see. I'll call and confirm.
      1. csl335i's Avatar
        csl335i -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Nothing more than weeks now that I can see. I'll call and confirm.
        My 335i rebuilt has started two years ago. The development of the engine and a new in-house developed twin turbo system itself took almost one year and we still need a few months to complete. In my opinion, sometimes, it is not about huge HP, but it is more about the path that you walk to the increased HP. So all my credit should go to Sticky. On the other hand i am also working on my e93 M3 with a slightly modified engine and exhaust system, but we stay with the NA engine at this time.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by csl335i Click here to enlarge
        My 335i rebuilt has started two years ago. The development of the engine and a new in-house developed twin turbo system itself took almost one year and we still need a few months to complete. In my opinion, sometimes, it is not about huge HP, but it is more about the path that you walk to the increased HP. So all my credit should go to Sticky. On the other hand i am also working on my e93 M3 with a slightly modified engine and exhaust system, but we stay with the NA engine at this time.
        Bro, no credit to me for anything. Whatever happens, your car or mine, we like cars. Ultimately it comes down to being enthusiasts.
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Nothing more than weeks now that I can see. I'll call and confirm.
        Lol, "weeks".....remember people there are 52 weeks in a year. Stickys build has only taken weeks to complete, 156 weeks to be exact.

        I bet it is not ready by April 1st.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        Lol, "weeks".....remember people there are 52 weeks in a year. Stickys build has only taken weeks to complete, 156 weeks to be exact.

        I bet it is not ready by April 1st.
        Thanks for the support Jim.
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Thanks for the support Jim.
        You just don't know how badly I want to race you.
      1. nafoo's Avatar
        nafoo -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        You just don't know how badly I want to race you.
        You don't know how badly I want to see you two race! Let's get a production crew out there to document everything, Top Gear style Click here to enlarge

        $#@!, let's get Top Gear out there to document both builds!
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        You just don't know how badly I want to race you.
        It's fine man, the feeling is mutual. It's a long list of people, trust me.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
        You don't know how badly I want to see you two race! Let's get a production crew out there to document everything, Top Gear style Click here to enlarge

        $#@!, let's get Top Gear out there to document both builds!
        No, no, no. I'm launching my own Youtube channel and won't be giving anyone else the benefit of my content. Why invite Top Gear when you can beat them at their own game?
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
        You don't know how badly I want to see you two race! Let's get a production crew out there to document everything, Top Gear style Click here to enlarge

        $#@!, let's get Top Gear out there to document both builds!
        Top Gear might be off the air by the time Stickys car gets done, the Stig might be living in a nursing home and cars might have wings and fly by the time his car is ready.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        Top Gear might be off the air by the time Stickys car gets done, the Stig might be living in a nursing home and cars might have wings and fly by the time his car is ready.
        But that's better because I want to be the Stig.
      1. klipseracer's Avatar
        klipseracer -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        Sticky, you keep hiding behind the DCT excuse, GT-R's have a more complext DCT than your car and people have been building GT-R for years. Audi R8's have a DCT and tuners have been building some sick R8s for years. $#@!ing NASA put a man on the moon in less time than this build took....and a DCT is not rocket sciene.
        sorry sticky, but this was funny.
      1. klipseracer's Avatar
        klipseracer -
        The long rod idea is very interesting. So are you going to use a spacer of some kind? Wouldn't this create issues with the rings when it crosses from the stock cylinder walls onto the spacer? Or would the gap between the top of the piston and the rings not require the rings to cross this threshold? Or perhaps a different shaped piston top...