Close

    • DCT Build Part XII - Build complete, pictures of final assembly, transmission cooler, and Viton seals

      Well, this has been a rather lengthy road to completion but the transmission is basically complete. The car was dropped off by SSP last month to Gintani who should have the motor in by the end of this week. The problem is SSP mounted their trans cooler in the location the heat exchanger for the supercharger needs to go so SSP will need to come to Gintani's facility to re-run their lines as the cooler will need to go in a different location. What took so long for this update? Well, we have been waiting, and waiting, and waiting for SSP to send us details on the Viton seals that required 3 redesigns but never received the information on why these seals are superior to the stock units.

      So, I decided to do my own research and here is what I came up with. These are the stock BMW seals used in the DCT. What is wrong with them exactly? We do not know other than they apparently are not up to the task:










      Here are the Viton seals which delayed the project by 3 months. Viton is a synthetic rubber used for seals, O-rings, things of that sort. Viton was likely used as it is less susceptible to decay and already used in BMW applications such as in VANOS. Viton has much higher temperature and chemical resistance characteristics than the stock seals. Here is what they look like:










      This is the DCT cooler that was mounted by SSP up front. This needs to be moved somewhere else as the supercharger heat exchanger will need to go there. This means SSP will need to come out and run their lines again checking all their fluids and so forth before tuning can take place:














      This is the final assembly. So, the transmission is built but it took about a year longer than estimated. I believe I was as patient as possible and hopefully this will all be wrapped up in December with a built motor, built transmission, a YSI, and a ton of horsepower.





































      This article was originally published in forum thread: M3 DCT Build Journal - World's First BMW DCT Build started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 2372 Comments
      1. klipseracer's Avatar
        klipseracer -
        Put it this way: You have a lack of class. You are often tactless and your words represent an immature individual. You write well. You may be intelligent. However you lack experience in many areas and are underdeveloped mentally from a maturity standpoint based on you're response patterns.

        EDIT: I forgot to mention, arrogance. You are just waiting to be the "First for this, Number one that". That is all fine and well. I believe arrogance comes often times from truly being great in some way, however it is a disease of the mind.
      1. singletrack's Avatar
        singletrack -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
        Put it this way: You have a lack of class. You are often tactless and your words represent an immature individual. You write well. You may be intelligent. However you lack experience in many areas and are underdeveloped mentally from a maturity standpoint based on you're response patterns.

        EDIT: I forgot to mention, arrogance. You are just waiting to be the "First for this, Number one that". That is all fine and well. I believe arrogance comes often times from truly being great in some way, however it is a disease of the mind.
        LOL. You called him a "dickhead" because he said he was sick of people running their mouths and he has a lack of class? Riiiiight.

        I think your sense of style is underdeveloped based on the pics of your car.

        I think none of this has anything to do with this thread and you are injecting needless drama.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
        Where have I demanded any actual responses from your thread? They are all to get a rise out of you. The only legitimate question I have ever asked you here is regarding the DCT and not because I give a crap about your car, because that transmission is of interest to me. Telling me to be patient for something I'm not waiting for is blind and yes, you're being disrespectful.
        I disagree. Trying to get a rise out of me? What kind of juvenile crap is that? Just wait for the updates or don't. Either way, no need to take it OT with this junk.
      1. BuraQ's Avatar
        BuraQ -
        Sticky, all I can say is thank you for your efforts and this thread with your build. I am going to move forward with doing the BMW DCT clutch pack upgrade for the DCT 335iS in preps for a Twin Turbo Upgrade.
      1. singletrack's Avatar
        singletrack -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BuraQ Click here to enlarge
        Sticky, all I can say is thank you for your efforts and this thread with your build. I am going to move forward with doing the BMW DCT clutch pack upgrade for the DCT 335iS in preps for a Twin Turbo Upgrade.
        Sounds awesome! I saw an is at my local dealer (Rahal BMW) and it is very impressive looking! Upgraded turbos must make it a total monster.
      1. ERM324's Avatar
        ERM324 -
        Is the hold up at this point the coding for the ssp disks? I heard the ssp clutches were causing some issues in other people's cars during installs and was wondering if you were help up there too or at the coding stage
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ERM324 Click here to enlarge
        Is the hold up at this point the coding for the ssp disks? I heard the ssp clutches were causing some issues in other people's cars during installs and was wondering if you were help up there too or at the coding stage
        Now, it's a small piece of hardware unrelated to the trans.
      1. dreikraft's Avatar
        dreikraft -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by singletrack Click here to enlarge
        LOL. You called him a "dickhead" because he said he was sick of people running their mouths and he has a lack of class? Riiiiight.

        I think your sense of style is underdeveloped based on the pics of your car.

        I think none of this has anything to do with this thread and you are injecting needless drama.
        lol... i love the internet. can i sig this?


        coding for the ssp discs? who did the trans software?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dreikraft Click here to enlarge
        coding for the ssp discs? who did the trans software?
        Gintani is doing the software. The coding is not the hold up.
      1. Mike Benvo's Avatar
        Mike Benvo -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by singletrack Click here to enlarge
        LOL. You called him a "dickhead" because he said he was sick of people running their mouths and he has a lack of class? Riiiiight.

        I think your sense of style is underdeveloped based on the pics of your car.

        I think none of this has anything to do with this thread and you are injecting needless drama.
        singletrack ftw!

        That comment was too funny Click here to enlarge
      1. DarkPhantom's Avatar
        DarkPhantom -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BuraQ Click here to enlarge
        Sticky, all I can say is thank you for your efforts and this thread with your build. I am going to move forward with doing the BMW DCT clutch pack upgrade for the DCT 335iS in preps for a Twin Turbo Upgrade.
        Please make a thread when this gets started Click here to enlarge We'd love to see pics.
      1. c32AMG-DTM's Avatar
        c32AMG-DTM -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Now, it's a small piece of hardware unrelated to the trans.
        Any ETA on that small piece of hardware?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        No.
      1. CookieCrisp's Avatar
        CookieCrisp -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        No.
        That sucks. You should consider closing this thread until you have a worth post/update bc as of right now it is just a playground for you guys to piss each other off for no reason...
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        It's fine, doesn't bother me.
      1. Itsbrokeagain's Avatar
        Itsbrokeagain -
        Man we have like 3 customers who are desperate to see this work out...do want clutch packs lol
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        I'm desperate to see it work out too. I'm itching to get out there.
      1. CookieCrisp's Avatar
        CookieCrisp -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I'm desperate to see it work out too. I'm itching to get out there.
        SCRATCH SCRATCH SCRATCH!!! Click here to enlarge
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        id do it now if the solution was road tested and proven..
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        id do it now if the solution was road tested and proven..
        Somebody has to be first.