Close

    • DCT Build Part XII - Build complete, pictures of final assembly, transmission cooler, and Viton seals

      Well, this has been a rather lengthy road to completion but the transmission is basically complete. The car was dropped off by SSP last month to Gintani who should have the motor in by the end of this week. The problem is SSP mounted their trans cooler in the location the heat exchanger for the supercharger needs to go so SSP will need to come to Gintani's facility to re-run their lines as the cooler will need to go in a different location. What took so long for this update? Well, we have been waiting, and waiting, and waiting for SSP to send us details on the Viton seals that required 3 redesigns but never received the information on why these seals are superior to the stock units.

      So, I decided to do my own research and here is what I came up with. These are the stock BMW seals used in the DCT. What is wrong with them exactly? We do not know other than they apparently are not up to the task:










      Here are the Viton seals which delayed the project by 3 months. Viton is a synthetic rubber used for seals, O-rings, things of that sort. Viton was likely used as it is less susceptible to decay and already used in BMW applications such as in VANOS. Viton has much higher temperature and chemical resistance characteristics than the stock seals. Here is what they look like:










      This is the DCT cooler that was mounted by SSP up front. This needs to be moved somewhere else as the supercharger heat exchanger will need to go there. This means SSP will need to come out and run their lines again checking all their fluids and so forth before tuning can take place:














      This is the final assembly. So, the transmission is built but it took about a year longer than estimated. I believe I was as patient as possible and hopefully this will all be wrapped up in December with a built motor, built transmission, a YSI, and a ton of horsepower.






































      This article was originally published in forum thread: M3 DCT Build Journal - World's First BMW DCT Build started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 2372 Comments
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ERM324 Click here to enlarge
        It was the coding in his tranny itself that was causing an issue so the best bet was to swap for another stock one, the dealer couldnt even code it.
        How could the dealer not even do it? Why wouldn't they replace the trans then?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
        Thats terrible... So whats it take to get access to code these transmissions?
        It's top secret, really.
      1. klipseracer's Avatar
        klipseracer -
        Didn't know Top Secret worked on these cars Click here to enlarge
      1. singletrack's Avatar
        singletrack -
        Sorry you continue to have issues with this build. I hope it gets resolved quickly.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by singletrack Click here to enlarge
        Sorry you continue to have issues with this build. I hope it gets resolved quickly.
        It's on track and getting wrapped up. Was just there the other day to check progress and gave them money for the lines and miscellaneous things.
      1. PEI330Ci's Avatar
        PEI330Ci -
        I'm sorry....but I just can't help myself!
      1. 0-60Motorsports's Avatar
        0-60Motorsports -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        It's on track and getting wrapped up. Was just there the other day to check progress and gave them money for the lines and miscellaneous things.
        That sounds good bro. Post some pics at least etc. Would like to see the progress , you know I love pics Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
        That sounds good bro. Post some pics at least etc. Would like to see the progress , you know I love pics Click here to enlarge
        I will get you some next week.
      1. jjv104's Avatar
        jjv104 -
        Sticky,

        I can't find anyone who says they have actually installed the SSP clutch packs and has experience with them. Do you know of anyone who has?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jjv104 Click here to enlarge
        Sticky,

        I can't find anyone who says they have actually installed the SSP clutch packs and has experience with them. Do you know of anyone who has?
        I only know what Chris told me which was cars overseas getting them but considering I haven't seen anyone do it and run yet from the US, I have no clue. The one guy who tried had to get a new trans apparently although the issue is supposedly due to electronics. I have no other example to cite.
      1. jjv104's Avatar
        jjv104 -
        I spoke with Kris late yesterday and he confirmed that he has sold about 30 kits worldwide with most going to Shanghi. 6-10 were sold in North America.

        My tansmission is slipping with the SC I put on it. I bought the car used and don't know how badly it was abused by the previous owner. It wasn't an issue until I installed the SC, which is understandable.

        How close is your car to running?
      1. ERM324's Avatar
        ERM324 -
        ^what blower do you have? how many miles? any more info would be appreciated thanks
      1. jjv104's Avatar
        jjv104 -
        I installed the VF-Engineering 620 hp kit. The car has 16,000 mi on it now. Bought it with 14,000+. Can't say how well the SC works until I solve the clutch issue. Right now I'm still gathering information.

        The car is a dedicated track car. Full rollcage, Moton suspension and PFC Z54 brake kit up front. The car is completely gutted. Racetech seats and Schroth 6 point harnesses. AA X-pipe with cat delete. Magnaflow mufflers. Almost all parts and cage came from BimmerWorld. Pretty much a Grand-Am car but much lighter. James Clay knows his stuff.
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jjv104 Click here to enlarge
        I installed the VF-Engineering 620 hp kit. The car has 16,000 mi on it now. Bought it with 14,000+. Can't say how well the SC works until I solve the clutch issue. Right now I'm still gathering information.

        The car is a dedicated track car. Full rollcage, Moton suspension and PFC Z54 brake kit up front. The car is completely gutted. Racetech seats and Schroth 6 point harnesses. AA X-pipe with cat delete. Magnaflow mufflers. Almost all parts and cage came from BimmerWorld. Pretty much a Grand-Am car but much lighter. James Clay knows his stuff.
        very nice car then. id love to know who can gurantee the clutches, id do it now before i go FI just to be sure
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jjv104 Click here to enlarge
        I spoke with Kris late yesterday and he confirmed that he has sold about 30 kits worldwide with most going to Shanghi. 6-10 were sold in North America.

        My tansmission is slipping with the SC I put on it. I bought the car used and don't know how badly it was abused by the previous owner. It wasn't an issue until I installed the SC, which is understandable.

        How close is your car to running?
        My car is close but obviously will have more power than any other DCT. We'll see how the trans does.

        30 kits? Cool, glad he is making money and hope my sacrifice was appreciated.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jjv104 Click here to enlarge
        Almost all parts and cage came from BimmerWorld. Pretty much a Grand-Am car but much lighter. James Clay knows his stuff.
        Not too familiar with bimmerworld but glad you had a good experience with your purchases.
      1. M3_WC's Avatar
        M3_WC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jjv104 Click here to enlarge
        Pretty much a Grand-Am car but much lighter. James Clay knows his stuff.
        Bimmerworld FTW!

        If anyone doesn't know James Clay is team owner and driver.


        James at home behind to wheel of the Continental Tire Series ST car.

      1. Mr. Bails's Avatar
        Mr. Bails -
        How many years has this car not been running? 3?
      1. c32AMG-DTM's Avatar
        c32AMG-DTM -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Not too familiar with bimmerworld but glad you had a good experience with your purchases.
        A BMW guy who doesn't know bimmerworld? That's like a BMW guy not being too familiar with Turner Motorsport.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mr. Bails Click here to enlarge
        How many years has this car not been running? 3?
        You can't count from the start of the thread to today?