Close

    • DCT Build Part XII - Build complete, pictures of final assembly, transmission cooler, and Viton seals

      Well, this has been a rather lengthy road to completion but the transmission is basically complete. The car was dropped off by SSP last month to Gintani who should have the motor in by the end of this week. The problem is SSP mounted their trans cooler in the location the heat exchanger for the supercharger needs to go so SSP will need to come to Gintani's facility to re-run their lines as the cooler will need to go in a different location. What took so long for this update? Well, we have been waiting, and waiting, and waiting for SSP to send us details on the Viton seals that required 3 redesigns but never received the information on why these seals are superior to the stock units.

      So, I decided to do my own research and here is what I came up with. These are the stock BMW seals used in the DCT. What is wrong with them exactly? We do not know other than they apparently are not up to the task:










      Here are the Viton seals which delayed the project by 3 months. Viton is a synthetic rubber used for seals, O-rings, things of that sort. Viton was likely used as it is less susceptible to decay and already used in BMW applications such as in VANOS. Viton has much higher temperature and chemical resistance characteristics than the stock seals. Here is what they look like:










      This is the DCT cooler that was mounted by SSP up front. This needs to be moved somewhere else as the supercharger heat exchanger will need to go there. This means SSP will need to come out and run their lines again checking all their fluids and so forth before tuning can take place:














      This is the final assembly. So, the transmission is built but it took about a year longer than estimated. I believe I was as patient as possible and hopefully this will all be wrapped up in December with a built motor, built transmission, a YSI, and a ton of horsepower.






































      This article was originally published in forum thread: M3 DCT Build Journal - World's First BMW DCT Build started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 2372 Comments
      1. fundahl's Avatar
        fundahl -
        Any eta on delivery? Or at least it turning over?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
        Any eta on delivery? Or at least it turning over?
        From what I saw it's going to be a few weeks. There was a small issue holding up a big part of the installation that I saw Friday last week. It's coming along.
      1. fundahl's Avatar
        fundahl -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        From what I saw it's going to be a few weeks. There was a small issue holding up a big part of the installation that I saw Friday last week. It's coming along.
        Thanks Sticky! It's gonna be one hell of a car! Click here to enlarge
      1. klipseracer's Avatar
        klipseracer -
        So, Wheres the car now?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
        So, Wheres the car now?
        Today it's in Bolivia. It just wanted to go on a vacation. I think just to throw you off.
      1. 0-60Motorsports's Avatar
        0-60Motorsports -
        ^ Nah bro its in Bahrain. Im cruising around in right now Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        ^ Car is all over!!
      1. 0-60Motorsports's Avatar
        0-60Motorsports -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        ^ Car is all over!!
        She decided to stay with me Click here to enlarge

        In all seriousness I know whats going on with your project and what it means to our community. I thank you for all your efforts brother. Cant wait to see the car in action in person when I visit later this year.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
        In all seriousness I know whats going on with your project and what it means to our community. I thank you for all your efforts brother. Cant wait to see the car in action in person when I visit later this year.
        It's all good.
      1. klipseracer's Avatar
        klipseracer -
      1. Sorena's Avatar
        Sorena -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Today it's in Bolivia. It just wanted to go on a vacation. I think just to throw you off.
        What boost you are going to throw in that Saturn, teenager? lol
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
        What boost you are going to throw in that Saturn, teenager? lol
        No idea what you are talking about right here.
      1. Jimefam's Avatar
        Jimefam -
        What I want to know is have they relocated the trans cooler yet???
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
        What I want to know is have they relocated the trans cooler yet???
        Yep, they found a spot for it in back.
      1. Sorena's Avatar
        Sorena -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        No idea what you are talking about right here.
        Huh, don't you remember when you spotted that MT F10 M5 someone in another site said you are a teenager who drives a Saturn?
      1. M3_WC's Avatar
        M3_WC -
        Drew's car has been out of commission for awhile too. He got the SSP clutches installed, but haven't heard anything from him lately. Wonder what problem they ran into?
      1. e38 prototype's Avatar
        e38 prototype -
        Epic game of where's Waldo
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
        Huh, don't you remember when you spotted that MT F10 M5 someone in another site said you are a teenager who drives a Saturn?
        Ohhh thought you meant the planet.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
        Drew's car has been out of commission for awhile too. He got the SSP clutches installed, but haven't heard anything from him lately. Wonder what problem they ran into?
        They ran into karma.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Just left gintani. They are trying to get the car done in time for mfest although I do not think it will get done in time with all the work left plus I don't gove a $#@! about mfest.

        Motor is in, headers are on. Working on the trans although fittings and lines ssp was supposed to supply were not supplied. These should not be at my cost so we will see if ssp steps up.

        The ssp pan also does not fit meaning Gintani has to machine it.