Close

    • Next generation 2013 M3 captured testing by Insideline who suggests it may be a European only model

      Insideline captured the next generation M3 sedan testing and suggested that the model may not come to the United States. Why? Due to slow sales of the E90 M3 sedan. The thought of an M3 not coming to the USA though is simply something we can not fathom. Also, getting used to the idea of an M3 that is sedan only is going to take some time. The video clearly shows the motor is a 6 cylinder with a bit of rasp to it. Expect the motor to be turbocharged as well possibly with a tri-turbo setup putting out at least 450 horsepower.





      This article was originally published in forum thread: Next generation 2013 M3 captured testing by Insideline who suggests it may be a European only model started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 38 Comments
      1. sr20seb's Avatar
        sr20seb -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sonny Click here to enlarge
        Okay, guys, I admit I don't know much about BMW's, but I'm here to learn. Why is a possible V6 a bad thing? Since everyone is going F/I, what does it matter how many cylinders the engine has? I mean the GT-R is a beast among beasts. Plus, the last gen M3 was, what, an inline 6 (not sure)?
        Last generation M3 was a V8.
      1. P31-C63's Avatar
        P31-C63 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sr20seb Click here to enlarge
        Last generation M3 was a V8.
        It think Sonny was referring to the e46.

        This news should help BMW sell the 2012 M3s Click here to enlarge

        Seriously, between this and the fake exhaust note for the new M5, I think some heads need to roll at BMW--what a joke! doesn't matter to me because I'm an AMG guy or Porsche guy for the forseeable future.
      1. Sonny's Avatar
        Sonny -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by P31-C63 Click here to enlarge
        It think Sonny was referring to the e46.

        This news should help BMW sell the 2012 M3s Click here to enlarge

        Seriously, between this and the fake exhaust note for the new M5, I think some heads need to roll at BMW--what a joke! doesn't matter to me because I'm an AMG guy or Porsche guy for the forseeable future.
        Correct, I was referring to the e46. Always wanted to hear the intake noise on one of the CSL's.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sonny Click here to enlarge
        Okay, guys, I admit I don't know much about BMW's, but I'm here to learn. Why is a possible V6 a bad thing? Since everyone is going F/I, what does it matter how many cylinders the engine has? I mean the GT-R is a beast among beasts. Plus, the last gen M3 was, what, an inline 6 (not sure)?
        The v6 is not a bas thing but it is not bmw 6 cylinder tradition which has always been i6's
      1. M3_WC's Avatar
        M3_WC -
        Ummmm.....time to start looking at the new 911?
      1. sr20seb's Avatar
        sr20seb -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by P31-C63 Click here to enlarge
        It think Sonny was referring to the e46.

        This news should help BMW sell the 2012 M3s Click here to enlarge

        Seriously, between this and the fake exhaust note for the new M5, I think some heads need to roll at BMW--what a joke! doesn't matter to me because I'm an AMG guy or Porsche guy for the forseeable future.
        These cars have stopped being for the enthusiast. They are now for the people who can afford them, lawyers, stock brokers, insurance whatevers, and CEO's. Those people are morons when it comes to cars and could really care less if the noise is fake or not. They just want to be able to look at the lease papers and see cars close to the 6 figures threshold to get themselves hard.
      1. Impulsoren's Avatar
        Impulsoren -
        [QUOTE=sr20seb;215871]These cars have stopped being for the enthusiast.[QUOTE]

        I kind of disagree. in most cases, technologoical innovation and heritage/tradition are opposites, and inversely proportional to a point. BMW is moving along with things that make their cars better handling, more efficient, more powerful, better powerband, etc. The performance car enthusiast likes this. The enthusiast who is so engrossed in the heritage that they do not like technological advances, is generally a classic car enthusiast. BMW wants their new cars to sell to performance car enthusiasts. The classic car enthusiasts can buy older used models. Some of their bells and whistles are kinda dumb, but you cannot deny that each generation has become a better performer than the last (not including special issues and modified cars).
        However, I can't imagine BMW not bringing the new M3 to the US, in any form. I see the E9x's everywhere. Way more than any comparable AMG or Audi.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Impulsoren Click here to enlarge
        BMW is moving along with things that make their cars better handling, more efficient, more powerful, better powerband, etc. The performance car enthusiast likes this. The enthusiast who is so engrossed in the heritage that they do not like technological advances, is generally a classic car enthusiast.
        Wrong.

        Wrong.

        Wrong.

        They want to sell to performance car enthusiasts? This explains FWD and electric cars how? This explains their cars now becoming the heaviest in their class now how?

        The powerband isn't better, IMO it's worse.

        BMW is selling whatever they can with disregard to their own history, they are no longer catering to the performance enthusiast but to profit.
      1. sr20seb's Avatar
        sr20seb -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Impulsoren Click here to enlarge
        I kind of disagree. in most cases, technologoical innovation and heritage/tradition are opposites, and inversely proportional to a point. BMW is moving along with things that make their cars better handling, more efficient, more powerful, better powerband, etc. The performance car enthusiast likes this. The enthusiast who is so engrossed in the heritage that they do not like technological advances, is generally a classic car enthusiast. BMW wants their new cars to sell to performance car enthusiasts.
        Absolutely not. There are very very few car companies that tailor their cars to performance enthusiasts and BMW is not one of them. BMW first and foremost is a corporation. A corporation's goal is profit, nothing else nothing less. Believe me when I tell you that when they have their big heads talking about which direction to go with their cars there isn't a single person in that room that is one of these things:

        1. Aerodynamicist
        2. Engineer
        3. Mechanic
        4. Software engineer
        5. Anybody out of the BMW race division.

        Those guys are accountants, sales, advertisers, people who go out and conduct focus groups and research trend setters. Then they draw out what they want and send it over to the guys I mentioned before. And then they try to make a car to obviously sell and make a profit. Car enthusiast market is something that has always been a self supporting entity and it always will be. We're the type of group that is hated the most by car companies, because we will trick out the car, break it and demand it's fixed under warranty. That's why cars come with black boxes to record everything a car goes through, to protect themselves from car enthusiast. People who buy M3s and M5s aren't mostly car enthusiasts at all, and that's not who these cars are targeted at. Sure somebody who loves cars will buy one of these cars, no doubt about it, and will make his way to a car forum. But that guy is a piss in the ocean compared to the rest of the buyers of this particular car.

        If BMW sold a gutted out car, with no sound deadening, 1 seat, no ac, no stereo, had a v10 in it with only enough cats to pass the emissions. A car that would probably crank out 10 second 1/4 right out of the factory. This is a car enthusiasts wet dream, and it will never happen because in the big world of car sales, we simply do not count.

        Remember the video of the VW bighead sitting in a Hyundai and growing pissed off by the second as why the steering wheel adjustment isn't rattling while in the BMW, Mercedes, and VW cars it is. Yeah something that a car enthusiast and I hope none of us on this forum would give and infinite amount of $#@! about if the car was fast enough that it put a stupid grin on our face as we stomped on the accelerator.
      1. P31-C63's Avatar
        P31-C63 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sr20seb Click here to enlarge
        These cars have stopped being for the enthusiast. They are now for the people who can afford them, lawyers, stock brokers, insurance whatevers, and CEO's. Those people are morons when it comes to cars and could really care less if the noise is fake or not. They just want to be able to look at the lease papers and see cars close to the 6 figures threshold to get themselves hard.
        LMAO--sadly I think you're right.
        I'll never forget when I tried to race some thirty something Gordon Gekko wanna be in his new M3 and he pointed to his blue tooth headset in his ear like to say "I can't right now, I'm on a conference call."
        Lol, I wish I was joking! Click here to enlarge
      1. Daheavyking's Avatar
        Daheavyking -
        Sedan and M3 don't go together like oil and water. Or is it vinegar? You know what I mean
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Daheavyking Click here to enlarge
        Sedan and M3 don't go together like oil and water. Or is it vinegar? You know what I mean
        Water and vinegar mix (like in dressings), it's oil and water.
      1. JoshM813's Avatar
        JoshM813 -
        Honestly...this the most depressing thing I've read in awhile...I'm going to go cry now. Sad thing is though is that Porsche is also doing this to some extent...

        I guess I will be sticking with the E55 rather than in the future getting the M3 or M5...but we'll see what happens hopefully they dont completely forget about us.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshM813 Click here to enlarge
        Honestly...this the most depressing thing I've read in awhile...I'm going to go cry now. Sad thing is though is that Porsche is also doing this to some extent...

        I guess I will be sticking with the E55 rather than in the future getting the M3 or M5...but we'll see what happens hopefully they dont completely forget about us.
        What is the part you find most sad?
      1. Forced Air's Avatar
        Forced Air -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sonny Click here to enlarge
        Okay, guys, I admit I don't know much about BMW's, but I'm here to learn. Why is a possible V6 a bad thing? Since everyone is going F/I, what does it matter how many cylinders the engine has? I mean the GT-R is a beast among beasts. Plus, the last gen M3 was, what, an inline 6 (not sure)?
        Main reason is BMW has always used inline 6 cyl, they are known for being some of the smoothest engines ever made. Mostly because the inline 6 is one of very few naturally balanced engines. which allows for big power increases that a V6 of similar build just couldn't take.
      1. klipseracer's Avatar
        klipseracer -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forced Air Click here to enlarge
        Main reason is BMW has always used inline 6 cyl, they are known for being some of the smoothest engines ever made. Mostly because the inline 6 is one of very few naturally balanced engines. which allows for big power increases that a V6 of similar build just couldn't take.
        Time to go V12? Click here to enlarge

        Either way, no more i6 blows me away. I guess the N54 is the last good thing bmw will make in the i6 category. Time for that platform to step the $#@! up and stop pussy footing around at 400hp. At least we aren't suffering the same demise as the supra.... Imagine if bmw said there would be no more 3 series ANYTHING.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
        t least we aren't suffering the same demise as the supra.... Imagine if bmw said there would be no more 3 series ANYTHING.
        True... but Toyota never claimed to make the ultimate driving machine.
      1. Forced Air's Avatar
        Forced Air -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        True... but Toyota never claimed to make the ultimate driving machine.
        Lol...and then announce that half their models were going to be FWD. Click here to enlarge