Close

    • Revosport creates a carbon fiber weight saving roof for the BMW E82 1M coupe

      Carbon fiber is much more than just something that looks cool. It also saves weight and when applied in the appropriate places it makes a considerable difference. This is why BMW used it for the roof on the E92 M3. BMW skimped on the carbon roof for the 1M (among other things) but not to worry as Revosport has a carbon roof option for the 1M. The carbon panel weighs only 4 kilograms vs. the stock 16 kilograms. That is 12 kilograms (26 pounds) saved at the highest point of the car. Cool looking and functional? You bet.























      This article was originally published in forum thread: Revosport creates a carbon fiber weight saving roof for the BMW E82 1M coupe started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 24 Comments
      1. DavidV's Avatar
        DavidV -
        This roof will fit all E82's, right?
        Any idea what the conversion would cost?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
        This roof will fit all E82's, right?
        I would think so.
      1. deemo319's Avatar
        deemo319 -
        The CF Roof will fit all E82 Coupes. Go for it, it looks trick!
      1. deemo319's Avatar
        deemo319 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
        This roof will fit all E82's, right?
        Any idea what the conversion would cost?
        Here is the info you need.

        Product Name:
        1M Raze Lightweight Roof Panel
        P/N:
        B E82 2 RAZ B400
        Material:
        Vacuum Infused Gloss or *Matt Carbon
        *15% surcharge applicable
        Weight: Roof (without sunroof)
        OEM: 16kg / Revozport: approximate 3kg
        Application:
        E82 all (with or without sunroof)
        Description:
        Like the E46 M3 CSL and E92 M3, the roof is replaced with carbon fiber because it is the highest point of a car and reducing weight is essential to help cornering and lateral G force. Cars with sunroof can easily weight over 20kg at the highest point. The extra weight creates bodyroll and stress to both suspension and tires.
        Price:
        Replacement Type : US$ 1,500.00 (for Sunroof and Non-sunroof)
        Insert Type : US$ 1,500.00
      1. George Smooth's Avatar
        George Smooth -
        It looks awesome but how many people can you trust that have the experience of glueing it on?
      1. inlineS54B32's Avatar
        inlineS54B32 -
        Fit and finish looks excellent! Price seems very reasonable also. Question regarding the price however - why would the matte finish (no gloss) be 15% higher than the gloss? Is this a misprint?Cheers.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by deemo319 Click here to enlarge
        Here is the info you need.

        Product Name:
        1M Raze Lightweight Roof Panel
        P/N:
        B E82 2 RAZ B400
        Material:
        Vacuum Infused Gloss or *Matt Carbon
        *15% surcharge applicable
        Weight: Roof (without sunroof)
        OEM: 16kg / Revozport: approximate 3kg
        Application:
        E82 all (with or without sunroof)
        Description:
        Like the E46 M3 CSL and E92 M3, the roof is replaced with carbon fiber because it is the highest point of a car and reducing weight is essential to help cornering and lateral G force. Cars with sunroof can easily weight over 20kg at the highest point. The extra weight creates bodyroll and stress to both suspension and tires.
        Price:
        Replacement Type : US$ 1,500.00 (for Sunroof and Non-sunroof)
        Insert Type : US$ 1,500.00
        Thank you deemo.
      1. DavidV's Avatar
        DavidV -
        +1
      1. BattaM3's Avatar
        BattaM3 -
        Just like skinning a roof. Bodyshops to this all day. A good shop should have no problem.
      1. KB's Avatar
        KB -
        IND can do this.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
        IND can do this.
        IND DOES do this.
      1. Remonster's Avatar
        Remonster -
        $1,500 is tempting, anyone know the exact weight of an E82's sunroof and motor because you'd be losing that, too.I'd think a sunroof and motor is at least 30lbs, right?
      1. KB's Avatar
        KB -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        IND DOES do this.
        No $#@!, Sherlock! I'm going to have to make a trip up there in the spring. For an exhaust or something.
      1. leo985i's Avatar
        leo985i -
        Looks very nice indeed. No idea why would bmw skimp on this option.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leo985i Click here to enlarge
        Looks very nice indeed. No idea why would bmw skimp on this option.
        Because they skimped everywhere else.
      1. KB's Avatar
        KB -
        They didn't skimp on making it more fun to drive than the M3! Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
        They didn't skimp on making it more fun to drive than the M3! Click here to enlarge
        Now that is a matter of opinion. One I would combat with an M3 GTS...
      1. DBFIU's Avatar
        DBFIU -
        I think sunroof models can benefit from this a lot. The glass and motors has to weigh 50 lbs including the steel roof. Serious weight savings right there.
      1. KB's Avatar
        KB -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Now that is a matter of opinion. One I would combat with an M3 GTS...
        Too bad you live in the US and will never have one! You could build your own though for a fraction of the cost. Just take out the back seats, through a roll cage in and install a stroker motor! Voila! You got yourself a GTS! Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
        Too bad you live in the US and will never have one! You could build your own though for a fraction of the cost. Just take out the back seats, through a roll cage in and install a stroker motor! Voila! You got yourself a GTS! Click here to enlarge
        Meh, I'll just supercharge it and have a more entertaining ride than either.