Close

    • Next generation Porsche 991 GT3 will not get a dual clutch / PDK transmission

      This is rather depressing news as we were hoping Porsche had embraced the PDK especially with the new 911 putting up lap times using this transmission as quick as the previous generation GT3. In an interview with MotorTrend, Porsche CEO Matthias Mueller stated the next generation GT3 would not be getting the PDK transmission. One reason why may be due to the weight of the transmission which can provide up to a 80 pound weight penalty. The performance advantage clearly outweighs the weight penalty however so we say give people the option. For now though, the GT3 remains the purest driving experience one can get.


      This article was originally published in forum thread: Next generation Porsche 991 GT3 will not get a dual clutch / PDK transmission started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 108 Comments
      1. 1cleanAMG's Avatar
        1cleanAMG -
        Good to see they kept the automatic trans out of the GT3.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
        $#@! no. keep the automatic trans out of the GT3.
        It isn't an automatic.
      1. 1cleanAMG's Avatar
        1cleanAMG -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        It isn't an automatic.
        PDK is an automated trans = automatic
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
        PDK is an automated trans = automatic
        Stupid generalization that in no way reflects what it actually is. Hence why it is called PDK because it has two clutches unlike automatic transmissions with a torque converter. Call it what it is as anything else is wrong.

        Also has manual modes so = manual right Click here to enlarge
      1. 1cleanAMG's Avatar
        1cleanAMG -
        my triptronic also has a manual mode so is it a manual transmission?

        PDK is an Automatic with clutches thats it. You can put it in drive and never throw a single shift therefore it is an automatic.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
        my triptronic also has a manual so is it a manual transmission?
        Thank you realizing how stupid it is to use shift modes to define a transmission, highlighting the point of my argument precisely.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
        PDK is an Automatic with clutches thats it. You can put it in drive and never throw a single shift therefore it is an automatic.
        Uh, no, it has more in common with a manual than an automatic. It has a shift mode that will shift for you just like it has a manual mode where you shift. So sorry, not an automatic, and calling it an automatic is wrong end of story.
      1. 1cleanAMG's Avatar
        1cleanAMG -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Thank you realizing how stupid it is to use shift modes to define a transmission, highlighting the point of my argument precisely.



        Uh, no, it has more in common with a manual than an automatic. It has a shift mode that will shift for you just like it has a manual mode where you shift. So sorry, not an automatic, and calling it an automatic is wrong end of story.

        The people who make it call it an automatic so it is an automatic end of story. It is an automated device so by definition it is an automatic.
      1. 1cleanAMG's Avatar
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
        The people who make it call it an automatic so it is an automatic end of story. It is an automated device so by definition it is an automatic.
        Weird, I thought they called it PDK which does not have automatic anywhere in it. Neither does DSG or DCT.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Here is the end of the discussion:

        A dual clutch transmission, commonly abbreviated to DCT (sometimes informally referred to as a twin-clutch gearbox, double clutch transmission, or similar variations thereof), is a differing type of semi-automatic or automated manual automotive transmission. It utilises two separate clutches[2] for odd and even gear sets. It can fundamentally be described as two separate manual transmissions (with their respective clutches) contained within one housing, and working as one unit.
        Automated modes don't give it a torque converter which is what an automatic is. Don't call it an automatic call it a PDK as that is the name for it. Not hard to figure out.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Try reading your own link:

        The optional Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK), with both manual gearshift and an automatic mode
        PDK is essentially two half gearboxes in one and thus requires two clutches – designed as a double wet clutch transmission.
        Whoops...
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Porsche doesn't call it an automatic or manual, they call it a PDK and compared it to traditional automatics and manuals. How you confused this I have no idea:

        The advantage over a fully manual transmission is the considerably faster rate of acceleration for the same rate of fuel consumption. The advantage over a fully automatic transmission is the perceptible increase in driving dynamics – with a similar level of comfort, and a distinct reduction in fuel consumption.
      1. 1cleanAMG's Avatar
        1cleanAMG -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Here is the end of the discussion:



        Automated modes don't give it a torque converter which is what an automatic is. Don't call it an automatic call it a PDK as that is the name for it. Not hard to figure out.

        torque converter? what?

        PDK and DCT are both automatics. It doesn't matter what you say. They are both automatics. I have nothing to figure out. This discussion is over.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
        PDK and DCT are both automatics. It doesn't matter what you say. They are both automatics. I have nothing to figure out. This discussion is over.
        Porsche gets it, why don't you?

        If you don't know what a torque converter is why are we talking?
      1. 1cleanAMG's Avatar
        1cleanAMG -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Porsche gets it, why don't you?

        If you don't know what a torque converter is why are we talking?
        I get it perfectly. It is an automatic transmission with a double clutch system.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
        I get it perfectly. It is an automatic transmission with a double clutch system.
        No, you don't get it, so I suggest reading the page you linked to again and again until you do.
      1. 1cleanAMG's Avatar
        1cleanAMG -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        No, you don't get it, so I suggest reading the page you linked to again and again until you do.
        I suggest you stop replying to my post because honestly you are talking nonsense and I dont have time for this crap.

        Its an automatic transmission and it doesn't matter how many times you refute it
      1. DD GT3 RD's Avatar
        DD GT3 RD -
        I have to say I am happy they kept it out. Too many "non drivers" would buy them and just make them another car that stays on the road. This will keep it a pure enthusiasts car Click here to enlarge That car has one of the best gearboxes I have ever had the privilege to drive and I couldnt imagine it any other way. This car isnt about have the fastest lap time, its about the experience, the sensation, the thrill of driving and the amount of fun you have will getting around the track.

        But I am slightly surprised, as they would probably sell more if they offered the pdk, would have a greater market. Im sure they will have something else with pdk that will rip off faster lap times.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
        I suggest you stop replying to my post because honestly you are talking nonsense and I dont have time for this crap.

        Its an automatic transmission and it doesn't matter how many times you refute it
        It doesn't matter how many times I refute it?

        re·fute   [ri-fyoot] Show IPA
        verb (used with object), -fut·ed, -fut·ing.
        1.
        to prove to be false or erroneous, as an opinion or charge.
        2.
        to prove (a person) to be in error.

        You chose the right word. Porsche makes the distinction between automatics, manuals, and PDK's. You should as well.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
        But I am slightly surprised, as they would probably sell more if they offered the pdk, would have a greater market. Im sure they will have something else with pdk that will rip off faster lap times.
        Exactly, they would have sold more. Then again, the GT3 isn't a high volume model.