Close

    • Horsepower Freaks RHD (right hand drive) twin turbo S54 (E46 M3) dyno results, also compared to single turbo kits

      We finished dyno tuning the HPF "Right Hand Drive" (RHD) turbo system with some great results. Each turbo system we produce is designed for a specific application. The RHD application was designed for the track / autocross / daily driver and required the use of twin turbos as opposed to one larger turbo as the factory steering shaft and A/C was retained. These GT22 turbos spool so fast that the benefits result from high torque results at very low rpm. The downside is with the smaller turbos, peak horsepower is less than with a comparable larger turbo.

      On the pump gas map, the twin GT22 turbos slaughter our HPF stage 1 LHD kit with the PT67 as the area under the curve is drastically different. However, with race fuel, the PT67 LHD kit makes significantly more power than the RHD twins as the twin turbos are out of breath at 500rwhp. So all in all, the HPF RHD twin turbo system is great for guys that want to track their car and have immediate power all the time whereas the HPF LHD turbo systems are great for freeway pulls and track events with longer straights.

      Right Hand Drive (RHD) E46 M3 Dyno (SAE)


      Right Hand Drive (RHD) E46 M3 Dyno (Uncorrected)


      Right Hand Drive (RHD) vs Left Hand Drive (LHD) - PUMP GAS



      Right Hand Drive (RHD) vs Left Hand Drive (LHD) - RACE GAS


      Video:

      <iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2tLERFSu6NM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

      This article was originally published in forum thread: HPF RHD Dyno Results In - Video and commentary started by HPF Chris View original post
      Comments 21 Comments
      1. funkmobster's Avatar
        funkmobster -
        I want to see this graph compared to a N54 RB turbo equiped car. See how much improvement there is from the "superior" M3 engine.
        Are GT22's about the same size as RB enhanced Turbo's?
      1. George Smooth's Avatar
        George Smooth -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by funkmobster Click here to enlarge
        I want to see this graph compared to a N54 RB turbo equiped car. See how much improvement there is from the "superior" M3 engine.
        Are GT22's about the same size as RB enhanced Turbo's?
        If the GT22 are the larger of the two available the compressor wheel is around the same size as the RB. On the turbine side not sure but the RB's have slightly smaller exhaust housings. The graph looks rather similar but would be nice to have a vs rpm graph instead of mph.
        I hope HPF works on a more powerful version of this kit as at the moment it pays me to rather keep my RB equipped 335 than switch over to a car with similar power output.
      1. Irishace's Avatar
        Irishace -
        Its too bad they do not have an N54 application, I am guessing one is not likely forthcoming if they are still messing around with the S54.
      1. GG///M3's Avatar
        GG///M3 -
        All this talk about the N54. Come on guys its an S54 section. Good torques Chris.
      1. funkmobster's Avatar
        funkmobster -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
        All this talk about the N54. Come on guys its an S54 section. Good torques Chris.

        Well it's sticky who always says the N54 is inferior to its M3 equivalent. But we can clearly see now that the N54 can produce same numbers , even tough the head flows much less than the S54 head.They also always say the N54 makes no top end cause of the head that doesn't flow as much and the small turbo housing. But now we can see that even with a good flowing head and GT22's the power drops off significant after a certain rpm.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by funkmobster Click here to enlarge
        Well it's sticky who always says the N54 is inferior to its M3 equivalent
        It is.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by funkmobster Click here to enlarge
        But we can clearly see now that the N54 can produce same numbers
        The 900+ whp graphs are where?

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by funkmobster Click here to enlarge
        They also always say the N54 makes no top end cause of the head that doesn't flow as much and the small turbo housing. But now we can see that even with a good flowing head and GT22's the power drops off significant after a certain rpm.
        Because of the turbo size, not because of the valvetrain, cams, or headflow limitations. The S54 will always outflow the N54, period.
      1. Itsbrokeagain's Avatar
        Itsbrokeagain -
        Good numbers. I would like this on my car, I like usable, streetable hp..not some 700hp monster that takes forever to spool..
      1. dreikraft's Avatar
        dreikraft -
        singles doesn't take forever and its streetable....you just need alot more room than you do with smaller turbos that max out early. Click here to enlarge
        i like the shift to the left with the TT but no top end is boo boo.
        i'm starting to consider the 6265/6262 more and more everyday.
        theres a balance out there, just have to find it.

        HPF - have you guys considered/postulated what sort of increase in earlier spool a smaller single would net?

        Sticky - let them dream Click here to enlarge
      1. gringotegra's Avatar
        gringotegra -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by black bnr32 Click here to enlarge
        same difference sticky, no?

        e85 will be similar to race gas
        E85 would probably be more than Racegas...

        It will probably also have a 30-40wtq increase in spool.. Thats what we see atleast
      1. gringotegra's Avatar
        gringotegra -
        Alot of people forget that increase spool = a ton more tq down low = more traction issues....
      1. ccsykes's Avatar
        ccsykes -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gringotegra Click here to enlarge
        Alot of people forget that increase spool = a ton more tq down low = more traction issues....
        Not if your running an EMS with wheel speed differential traction based control like the ProEFI. It can be managed.
      1. PEI330Ci's Avatar
        PEI330Ci -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ccsykes Click here to enlarge
        Not if your running an EMS with wheel speed differential traction based control like the ProEFI. It can be managed.
        I wonder if traction control will be an option that you have to pay for, and how much it will cost. Every race team that I know of that's added TC to their ECU, has gone through nearly a season of trial and error to get it comparable to what a driver can do with their right foot. (In the dry)

        Definitely a good feature, but it's not as simple as the ECU manufacturers seem to make you think. There are multiple torque control strategies that may work well on an N/A engine, but poorly on a Turbo engine.

        The TT Stage 1 is certainly making some torque down low though....I bet it's going to be a blast to drive on the street!
      1. 5mall5nail5's Avatar
        5mall5nail5 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ccsykes Click here to enlarge
        Not if your running an EMS with wheel speed differential traction based control like the ProEFI. It can be managed.
        Yes, but why? Traction control = cutting fuel injection and timing = less power = why be able to make the power if you're going to cut it?

        A lot of people don't realize that low low torque results in harder conditions for the motor. Oil pressure is RPM dependent - start pushing down on the pistons super hard when the oil pressure isn't so high (lower RPM torque curve) and things don't last as long.

        Looks good but I feel it falls off way too much - would have probably preferred GT25 - GT28's personally.
      1. 5mall5nail5's Avatar
        5mall5nail5 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
        I wonder if traction control will be an option that you have to pay for, and how much it will cost. Every race team that I know of that's added TC to their ECU, has gone through nearly a season of trial and error to get it comparable to what a driver can do with their right foot. (In the dry)

        Definitely a good feature, but it's not as simple as the ECU manufacturers seem to make you think. There are multiple torque control strategies that may work well on an N/A engine, but poorly on a Turbo engine.

        The TT Stage 1 is certainly making some torque down low though....I bet it's going to be a blast to drive on the street!
        Absolutely - even looking at the settings lets you know how daunting getting TC setup correctly is. Remember though that most of these aftermarket companies are using the TC for linear acceleration. When you want TC in turns is when it gets real challenging to configure.
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 Click here to enlarge

        Looks good but I feel it falls off way too much - would have probably preferred GT25 - GT28's personally.
        That would be a nice amount of lag tho. I think they were trying to stay away from that type of power curve. I can just imagine two 2871's... BEAST.
      1. Eleventeen's Avatar
        Eleventeen -
        What's stage 2? Twin GT25's??? Looks like you're going to need more power to keep the RHD boys happy.
      1. gringotegra's Avatar
        gringotegra -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 Click here to enlarge
        Yes, but why? Traction control = cutting fuel injection and timing = less power = why be able to make the power if you're going to cut it?

        A lot of people don't realize that low low torque results in harder conditions for the motor. Oil pressure is RPM dependent - start pushing down on the pistons super hard when the oil pressure isn't so high (lower RPM torque curve) and things don't last as long.

        .
        Damnit took the words right out of my mouth lol...


        Id still take the 67mm over these twins for a street car...
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
        What's stage 2? Twin GT25's??? Looks like you're going to need more power to keep the RHD boys happy.
        Let them get stage I out first and see what the demand is like. This is going to be a smaller market.
      1. 600whp S4's Avatar
        600whp S4 -
        Gt22s seriously on a 3.2L? thats sooo dumb. they should be at least 2560s
      1. Eleventeen's Avatar
        Eleventeen -
        It looks like they are either shutting the runs down around 6k or these things just can't keep up that high. The runs stop right after torque and HP intersect. It's a little hard to tell since they scaled the dynos on MPH instead of RPM for some very strange reason.