• Mercedes-Benz breaks drifting world record over distance in the C63 AMG

      We reported last week that Mercedes was attempting to break the world record for drifting over distance. We are now pleased to tell you, they succeeded. Mercedes driver and instructor Mauro Calo successfully achieved what he promised. The previous record of 394 meters was obliterated with Calo going a total distance of an absolutely astounding 2308 meters or 1.4 miles. Congratulations to Mercedes, AMG, and Mauro Calo. Video and pictures below.









      This article was originally published in forum thread: Mercedes-Benz breaks drifting world record over distance in the C63 AMG started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 14 Comments
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
        don't want to downgrade this, But it isn't what i imagined.
        Drifting in a circle isn't that hard, i mean with practice even I can do that. i thought they would drift in a track not in a circle.

        anyway, congratulations.
        The goal was over distance so on a course it wouldn't work as you would have to break your drift for various turns.
      1. DD GT3 RD's Avatar
        DD GT3 RD -
        I also was thinking on a "track" ..i assumed it would of been a tighter track with non stop turns, cause as sticky said the drift would stop but thats on the straights
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
        I also was thinking on a "track" ..i assumed it would of been a tighter track with non stop turns, cause as sticky said the drift would stop but thats on the straights
        Yes, long straights would be a problem as well.
      1. Sorena's Avatar
        Sorena -
        a talented driver can drift even in straight line, pretty stupid though.

      1. dOpEdUpM3's Avatar
        dOpEdUpM3 -
        Wow, good job MB & Mauro Calo. Must have been pretty tough to hold that drift for such a long time, 8 laps? Nice job. It would have been much more entertaining if it were on the track I agree.
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        I want to see the tires and what tires he used. Drifting for that long, idk how it didnt reach his rims.
      1. Sonny's Avatar
        Sonny -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
        I want to see the tires and what tires he used. Drifting for that long, idk how it didnt reach his rims.
        I have the same questions.

        I really think this is great.
      1. 220S's Avatar
        220S -
        Good publicity for the C63. Daimler is starting to really put some serious marketing money into the AMG brand. This sort of stuff helps and def gets the AMG name out (there are still lots of people out there who don't quite know what AMG is all about.) And things like this will help with the new E63 coupe sales.

        Chris Harris likes it too Click here to enlarge

      1. P31-C63's Avatar
        P31-C63 -
        And to think we all complain about getting a few thousand miles out of our rearsClick here to enlarge
      1. Yukohama's Avatar
        Yukohama -
        I remember Gitten jr. from formula D did this in a mustang and i believe it was a smaller circle though... congrats to MB nonetheless
      1. MSIZZLE's Avatar
        MSIZZLE -
        Guys your nuts if you don't think that's impressive! I mean to even To prevent the tires from hooking up in a car with under 500whp is not easy.I don't know if this car had stock suspension but remember if it does the car natuarlly wants to correct it self.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MSIZZLE Click here to enlarge
        Guys your nuts if you don't think that's impressive! I mean to even To prevent the tires from hooking up in a car with under 500whp is not easy.I don't know if this car had stock suspension but remember if it does the car natuarlly wants to correct it self.
        It's super impressive. Not sure what people were expecting. You can't sustain a drift like that around a roadcourse.
      1. MSIZZLE's Avatar
        MSIZZLE -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        It's super impressive. Not sure what people were expecting. You can't sustain a drift like that around a roadcourse.
        If it was that easy it wouldn't be a world record! And it cant simply be done with practice either,with practice I could ball like Kobe,throw like Peyton, and hit like Arod!
      1. Exeenom's Avatar
        Exeenom -
        In practice, I can set the record for the most uncontrollable drift... j/k Click here to enlarge

        I think they did a good job.... to remain in a fully controlled drift for that long is simply amazing.