Close

    • Mystery solved: What happened to the ESS Tuning supercharged RDsport stroker M3? Blown motor / S65 engine failure diagnosis

      This is the information that ESS Tuning threatened BimmerBoost with legal action over. Some of you may remember that last year we reported the RDsport motor supercharged and tuned by ESS failed. Asbjorn then proceeded to write threats against myself and my family if the information was not removed. BimmerBoost did not remove the information and called their bluff. We have acquired the evidence to prove the motor failed and that it was a result of the supercharger and tuning.

      We learned from a source that there was material in the oil pan. What was that material? Well, here is the answer, a broken ringland:





      What causes a broken ringland? Detonation is usually the source. Here are the types of failure that detonation usually causes:

      1. Mechanical damage (broken ringlands or rod bearing failures)

      2. Abrasion (seen on the piston crown)

      3. Overheating (piston skirts scuffed due to excess heat)

      You already saw that number 1 took place, in the pictures below you can see that numbers 2 and 3 seemed to be a factor as well:





      Those look like classic signs of detonation folks. The motor looks like it wore itself out over time which would explain the claims of the owner "driving" shortly before disassembly. Sure, it ran, but not for long according to the pictures and definitely was not healthy.

      What appears to have happened is heat built up over time as a result of detonation from possibly a lack of fuel or from the pre-ignition due to too much timing on high compression, as in, poor tuning.

      We sent these pictures to an engine builder as well as tuner, people you all know but who asked not to be named, to get their take on what happened:

      And from the tuner:


      Well there you have it folks, this motor died rather quickly detonating itself into oblivion. Why? Well, ESS tuning has not been able to have any success tuning supercharged motors outside of the factory internally stock S65. Remember, this in no way reflects on their stock motor kits which are very solid options. The issue rather is their ability to tune for setups beyond the stock motor and this is why they abandoned their Stage 3 low compression supercharged motor. Did this motor failure play a factor in it? Possibly, but either way ESS currently has a 0% success rate with any built motor S65 application.

      What many people do not realize is ESS files actually originate overseas. We have heard from more than one tuner that their base files come from the same tuner that does the tuning for G-power. Well, many of you know that G-power kits have failed. This is not odd, we would not be surprised if several kits on the market today share some file similarities that originated from the first G-power kits. This is how it works folks, there is no magic. The problem though lies in that ESS is limited in custom tuning ability as they are forced to work within the narrow confines of what they have been given. This works great for the stock motor setups, but in custom setups, the results can be disastrous as you see here.

      What makes this all the more amusing? The owner of this vehicle and ESS has engaged in a cover-up claiming nothing was wrong. Look at what the ESS file loader / US tuner Asbjorn wrote to us:

      False information? Sir, with all due respect, you are a liar and hypocrite. Every lie you have told about this motor I have collected and will now present in succession. I intend to make it crystal clear that you are willing to lie, cheat, and threaten people to maintain an illusion of tuning superiority while attacking others when you have your own failures you try to sweep under the rug. Well, this won't be swept aside. A further reminder:

      More lies. This motor was not fine, as any sane person can see. The owner claims to be "open" and "honest" about everything that takes place. Nope, just when it serves his interest as the owner is a liar, hypocrite, and has done a complete disservice to the BMW community covering this up after saying he would provide pictures:

      That quote was made in August of last year after these pictures were taken, how long does it take to post photos you already have of a motor you know failed but lied to everyone about? Some more:

      I called this bluff and said I would take photos and was even taunted with a $100 incentive to do so. He never lived up to his own challenge and well you can all see why. How about just more blatant lying?

      AutoTalent was building this car and Sam is the owner. He originally told people the motor blew and told the truth. After he apparently was chewed out by PencilGeek who wants to maintain his illusion of looking like he knows what he is doing and that he knows something about cars, he started this spin about making up a blown motor story. And what did Sam do? Well, the spineless little man decided to lie to everyone as well showing he has no integrity:

      Another lie from people with no credibility or integrity.

      Now, we are sure the owner and ESS are already steaming and wondering what can they do to spin this. Maybe try to claim this is not Robert's motor? Well, good luck with that, as Robert happened to send me in an e-mail hi-resolution photographs of his bored block, take a look here:



      That is before the supercharger. See the serial number there to the left? Feel free to match it up to the block of the failed motor:



      Same motor. That not good enough for you? You can clearly see it is a bored block and additionally that those are aftermarket pistons in the failed motor. If you look at the top you can see an arrow on the pistons, which the stock BMW pistons do not have:

      Stroker/bored piston in failed motor:



      And a stock piston:


      What led to this entire situation?

      1. Envious and arrogant owner who became upset other and much younger owners were supercharging their cars and outperforming him for far less money.

      2. No foresight to realize forced induction would be the way to go for big power.

      3. Lack of experience and knowledge with BMW tuning as the owner should have built the motor with low compression pistons to begin with but did not know what he was doing and has now paid the price.

      4. Using a tuner that has not demonstrated the ability to complete custom projects outside of a narrow framework.


      So there you have it. What makes this all worse is that these people have been attacking Active Autowerke as of late just as Gintani used to be attacked. ESS has been using their marketing tools, and I use tools with emphasis, to spread misleading information of Active Autowerke and their supercharged motors to continue to create this illusion of superiority and better reliability. I hate to burst the bubble for you folks, but every tuner has had some issues. We have not played favorites showing you the Active failure (which may be attributed to rod bearings), Gintani rod bearing failure, and now the ESS stroker failure. We would probably list a VF-Engineering failure as well but they have to get on the market first (although they have enough S54 failures that they are set in the engine failure department for some time to come).

      Ladies and Gentlemen, there is no magic tuner. There is no one super reliable superior setup. These are high compression motors being pushed to HP levels that are almost double what they come with in some cases. There will be bumps in the road. We do not wish to chastise ESS Tuning but considering how they have attacked everyone else and blatantly lied, it's time for this information to come out. We find their tactics and threats absolutely deplorable. Omar at Active Autowerke actually put it best:

      We hope you all realize this is all a game being played to control your minds. Why? For money. For the user getting a deal (like the owner in question) and for the company. It's too bad this owner cares more about discounts than coming clean. We would all understand, but instead, we see attacks and instability pointing fingers at everyone else.

      There are four vendors all selling competing supercharger kits on BimmerBoost. EAS sells VF-Engineering, Precision Sport sells Active Autowerke, Gintani sells their own, and IND-Distribution sells the ESS Tuning kit. These companies all get along and do not bash one another. IND in particular provides quality builds, support, and we fully recommend the ESS setups they sell as some of the highest quality options one can buy. Notice they don't sit around bashing each other? What is the missing element? Well, that is for you to decide and we believe you are bright enough to figure it out.

      All the motor failure pictures are posted below, analyze them yourself if you wish.


























































































































































      This article was originally published in forum thread: Mystery solved: What happened to the ESS Tuning supercharged RDsport stroker M3? Blown motor / S65 engine failure diagnosis started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 175 Comments
      1. 0-60Motorsports's Avatar
        0-60Motorsports -
        Wow! Wow! Wow! Thats all I can think right now. You know the saddest part of this story is that ONLY if PG had behaved himself and showed manners and respect to forum members and the community right now everyone will be saying NO BIG DEAL, REBUILD HER and everyone would be supportive. Like i said in another thread when PG first started I actually lvoed his car and i THOUGHT that this guy MIGHT know what he is talking about, but NO He did not. Any way PG I wil still say Best of Luck, The truth is out now the leats you can do is apologize to people and mend the path you walk on before its too late. This life is too short to doing this kinda BS. My friend has a spare M3 V8 lying around if you sell your car to me as salvage hahahaha
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
        Wow! Wow! Wow! Thats all I can think right now. You know the saddest part of this story is that ONLY if PG had behaved himself and showed manners and respect to forum members and the community right now everyone will be saying NO BIG DEAL, REBUILD HER and everyone would be supportive. Like i said in another thread when PG first started I actually lvoed his car and i THOUGHT that this guy MIGHT know what he is talking about, but NO He did not. Any way PG I wil still say Best of Luck, The truth is out now the leats you can do is apologize to people and mend the path you walk on before its too late. This life is too short to doing this kinda BS. My friend has a spare M3 V8 lying around if you sell your car to me as salvage hahahaha
        These guys care more about propagating some ridiculous notion of tuner/kit superiority than real info and benefiting the BMW community. There is no shame in blowing a motor. There is shame in attacking others for mishaps along the way while lying about your own and willingly deceiving people.
      1. 0-60Motorsports's Avatar
        0-60Motorsports -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        These guys care more about propagating some ridiculous notion of tuner/kit superiority than real info and benefiting the BMW community. There is no shame in blowing a motor. There is shame in attacking others for mishaps along the way while lying about your own and willingly deceiving people.
        I agree. For me its just a shame cos something that could have been really good for the community turned to crap because of one guy and his BS and stuborness. Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
        I agree. For me its just a shame cos something that could have been really good for the community turned to crap because of one guy and his BS and stuborness. Click here to enlarge
        Well, not just him, I mean others did participate in it. This is the product of collusion.
      1. 0-60Motorsports's Avatar
        0-60Motorsports -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Well, not just him, I mean others did participate in it. This is the product of collusion.
        Yes but i guess it all started from him. Any way, I am happy to see the truth finally out there. So does any one know if the engine wiil be rebuilt or has the project been abandoned?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
        Yes but i guess it all started from him. Any way, I am happy to see the truth finally out there. So does any one know if the engine wiil be rebuilt or has the project been abandoned?
        Well like I reported earlier there are some issues at AutoTalent. What is going on now, who knows, but I don't want to throw any of Zolti's info out there.

        There are some major issues here and I don't feel sorry for the guy one bit.
      1. 0-60Motorsports's Avatar
        0-60Motorsports -
        Wow sad to hear about AT's issues. Oh well, i guess they brought this upon themselves.
      1. akh23456's Avatar
        akh23456 -
        +1 thats some great info.
      1. akh23456's Avatar
        akh23456 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        These guys care more about propagating some ridiculous notion of tuner/kit superiority than real info and benefiting the BMW community. There is no shame in blowing a motor. There is shame in attacking others for mishaps along the way while lying about your own and willingly deceiving people.
        ess fan boy m33 does that best for ess. I wonder if he gets a commission from ess every month.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by akh23456 Click here to enlarge
        ess fan boy m33 does that best for ess. I wonder if he gets a commission from ess every month.
        Whom do you think I was referring to when I wrote "marketing tools" ?

        Those people have some serious issues and trying to challenge it on BSpost is impossible and just gets you banned due to sponsor $. When that crap is removed the forum is much more productive.

        Funny how all our vendors get along without a certain missing element.
      1. akh23456's Avatar
        akh23456 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Whom do you think I was referring to when I wrote "marketing tools" ?

        Those people have some serious issues and trying to challenge it on BSpost is impossible and just gets you banned due to sponsor $. When that crap is removed the forum is much more productive.

        Funny how all our vendors get along without a certain missing element.
        Lol i got some infraction points from Bspost admin Jason for defending my self against the "tool" and they called me a troll ...Click here to enlarge

        i like how over here we all get along and call out bs when we see it. Like on bspost when the tool comes in starting crap and all the fan boys tag along and come in to bash a vendor. They can't even come over here and talk because everyone sees through their lies and we have our own mind unlike some of the people on the forum.
      1. Sorena's Avatar
        Sorena -
        J, allow my dear friends (M33 and Biglare) post here, i think they are banned here.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
        J, allow my dear friends (M33 and Biglare) post here, i think they are banned here.
        They are not banned, just stupid. We don't ban users, rep takes care of everything.

        They prefer to spread BS about being banned rather than engage anyone without a moderator to hold their hands. M33 still owes me an apology for claiming all ESS owners get infractions when we post infractions publicly and that showed he was full of it...
      1. ERM324's Avatar
        ERM324 -
        haha you put this guy on blast, I can't even imagine how one could formulate a believable response to this
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        I think I called this a looooooooong time ago...


        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
        J, allow my dear friends (M33 and Biglare) post here, i think they are banned here.
        no they certantly are NOT banned here.
        I ensured after meeting m33 that i repped him as he seemed down-to earth in person.
      1. atalladega's Avatar
        atalladega -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
        J, allow my dear friends (M33 and Biglare) post here, i think they are banned here.
        Jesus H. Christ! How many times does he have to explain that he has not banned anyone! Every thread where ess is mentioned and their names come up someone has to say "they can't defend themselfs because they are banned!" they are not! He even gave the site stats on one post to show that they are not nor have they ever been banned! I personally don't have anything against them I just hate the same excuse from everyone else saying they are banned. Perhaps they are finally just choosing not to post here for whatever reason, but it's been cleared up TOOOOOO many times that they are not banned. I don't think anyone is banned...at all.
      1. PEI330Ci's Avatar
        PEI330Ci -
        Very nice write up.

        I hope the same amount of detail goes into revealing projects that don't blow up....hint hint.
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        I would like PG to come chime in as well PLZ, thanks
      1. 5mall5nail5's Avatar
        5mall5nail5 -
        How are they lining the bores in these aluminum blocks with aftermarket over-bore?
      1. akh23456's Avatar
        akh23456 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by atalladega Click here to enlarge
        Jesus H. Christ! How many times does he have to explain that he has not banned anyone! Every thread where ess is mentioned and their names come up someone has to say "they can't defend themselfs because they are banned!" they are not! He even gave the site stats on one post to show that they are not nor have they ever been banned! I personally don't have anything against them I just hate the same excuse from everyone else saying they are banned. Perhaps they are finally just choosing not to post here for whatever reason, but it's been cleared up TOOOOOO many times that they are not banned. I don't think anyone is banned...at all.
        +1 they are on the forum and take info from here. I think they do this best Click here to enlarge