Close

    • Game changer enters the E46 M3 / S54 turbo kit market? Maximum PSI set to offer sub $10k factory DME tuned kit

      This is some HUGE news for a number of reasons. First of all, the price point Maximum PSI is aiming for with this turbo kit is under $10k. That basically blows every other competitor away. Secondly, it is being tuned on the stock DME. We hear the talented Nick G of Technique Tuning (M54 / 330i turbo kits) is doing the tuning and aiming for a factory DME tuned setup with fully functional CEL (check engine light).

      The current specs for what will be a do it yourself install kit are an oil-less comp turbo ball bearing billet 67 millimeter turbo. Manifold to be used is the Steed Speed S54 turbo manifold which used to be the manifold of choice for Horsepower Freaks on their E46 M3 turbo kits. An exhaust cutout will be optional so the entire neighborhood does not have to hear your turbo spooling.

      This is huge development *if* it can be pulled off. Several companies have tried and failed but we all agree this is the proper way to ago about it and will also take the most skill. If this comes about, the Pro-EFI's impact in the S54 turbo tuning scene practically evaporates overnight. We remain optimistic but cautiously skeptical as many tuners got pretty far with the stock DME but ultimately it is part throttle tuning with the turbo that they could not get down. We wish Nick G and Maximum PSI the best of luck, go get 'em guys!



      This article was originally published in forum thread: Max PSI Turbo E46 M3 on stock DME tuning started by black bnr32 View original post
      Comments 161 Comments
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        Damn that is very sick if they pull it off. Don't understand why it took so long, the cars been out for 10 years now..
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
        Damn that is very sick if they pull it off. Don't understand why it took so long, the cars been out for 10 years now..
        Clearly isn't easy and there aren't too many tuners capable.

        HPF for example had to go their route because there wasn't anybody around who could do this with the stock DME. It has basically taken up until now... thank BMW for encrypting the $#@! out of their ECU and only bits and pieces of info being allowed to trickle out.

        This is the type of thing that sucks about BMW modding. Many Japanese cars basically have open source ECU's. If BMW did that, we would have had this 10 years ago.
      1. 0-60Motorsports's Avatar
        0-60Motorsports -
        Interested to see how this will turn out. Im sure they'll make a good value product.
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Clearly isn't easy and there aren't too many tuners capable.

        HPF for example had to go their route because there wasn't anybody around who could do this with the stock DME. It has basically taken up until now... thank BMW for encrypting the $#@! out of their ECU and only bits and pieces of info being allowed to trickle out.

        This is the type of thing that sucks about BMW modding. Many Japanese cars basically have open source ECU's. If BMW did that, we would have had this 10 years ago.
        Damn, man they make these cars mod proof... or at least try to and do well! This will be new thing to look forward to for the e46 m3 owners
      1. black bnr32's Avatar
        black bnr32 -
        Do not fear fellow bimmer lovers. Nick G and Mike Radowski are 2 of the most highly regarded BMW modifiers in the country and have been for years. If they want to do this, you can be sure they will do it right and do it damn well.
      1. milkt's Avatar
        milkt -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by black bnr32 Click here to enlarge
        Do not fear fellow bimmer lovers. Nick G and Mike Radowski are 2 of the most highly regarded BMW modifiers in the country and have been for years. If they want to do this, you can be sure they will do it right and do it damn well.
        Its safe to assume that Captain Glantzis is the mind behind the DME tune here,
        but MAXpsi has not disclosed this, nor has the Capn.

        It's still a very important moment in BMW aftermarket/tuning history that is in VERY well equipped hands.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by black bnr32 Click here to enlarge
        Do not fear fellow bimmer lovers. Nick G and Mike Radowski are 2 of the most highly regarded BMW modifiers in the country and have been for years. If they want to do this, you can be sure they will do it right and do it damn well.
        They have a good reputation.

        Is Radowski Polish?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by milkt Click here to enlarge
        Its safe to assume that Captain Glantzis is the mind behind the DME tune here,
        but MAXpsi has not disclosed this, nor has the Capn.

        It's still a very important moment in BMW aftermarket/tuning history that is in VERY well equipped hands.
        I'll contact Nick G to try to confirm.
      1. BattaM3's Avatar
        BattaM3 -
        I need to stop by MaxPsi!
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by milkt Click here to enlarge
        Its safe to assume that Captain Glantzis is the mind behind the DME tune here,
        but MAXpsi has not disclosed this, nor has the Capn.
        Nick G confirmed with me he is providing the software, so yes, he is officially tuning it.
      1. Bmxpert86's Avatar
        Bmxpert86 -
        Yesss, I can't wait for the outcome!!!!! I hope they don't stick with the stock intake mani. Seems like a very very good team, and I won't have to get my car shipped across the country if problems arise. This is looking more and more like the route I'm going, I hope everything works out. Patiently waiting for solid info and numbers.

        I won't mind the cutout but I want to year that thing spooling all day long, and a BOV is a must for me. Whenever I hear a blow off valve, my neck snaps and I have to go take a shower, psss pssst(bov sound). Ooo boy, an e46 M3 and spool is what I dream about, literally. Can't wait, I love to hop on the forums after a day of building a custom sub box over my battery and finding such awesome news!!!!
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bmxpert86 Click here to enlarge
        Yesss, I can't wait for the outcome!!!!! I hope they don't stick with the stock intake mani. Seems like a very very good team, and I won't have to get my car shipped across the country if problems arise. This is looking more and more like the route I'm going, I hope everything works out. Patiently waiting for solid info and numbers.
        I'd be tempted to pick up an E46 M3 just for fun with a DIY kit like this. Sub $10k, install it yourself, factory DME, what's not to like?
      1. Bmxpert86's Avatar
        Bmxpert86 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I'd be tempted to pick up an E46 M3 just for fun with a DIY kit like this. Sub $10k, install it yourself, factory DME, what's not to like?
        Exactly, You should really pick one up. Im very happy I have been researching my options and haven't went f/I already. Seems like everyday new options are coming out of the woodwork. Crazy how the s54 has been out for ten years and all of a sudden this year is making it a very user friendly f/i platform.

        I actully went to the stealer today and was going to make a impulsive buy on an e92. Beautiful car, but it just doesn't do it for me, but Omg, alpine/red, is incredible looking. Figured when the numbers were flying, a gtr was in reach and I like that option better. All in all I really really love my e46, and know once my car is turbo'd that I will have a blast.

        I really like this option, can't wait for the outcome, but the numbers have to be nice. The lack of stage upgrades might not make it happen for me though. First I was looking into HPF 2.5 but I feel that I want reliability more, so stage one is looking like a go.

        Last visit to the casino was really a big win for me, as the roulette ball was spinning I was like cmon daddy needs some HPF hahah. People were like WTF, but after they saw the roll I was on actually started cheering as well, lol. So this mod money is really burning a hole in my pocket and the lure of f/I is really getting to me. Can't wait to see how this turns out.
      1. black bnr32's Avatar
        black bnr32 -
        i hope radowski leaves all the pipng hand made with no coating. nothing but sexy stainless with epic welds. it might not match all the black in the engine bay, but $#@! it.
      1. bluejeansonfire's Avatar
        bluejeansonfire -
        I love the idea of using a sealed bearing turbo on a kit like this, it's really the perfect appropriation. It eliminates a lot of potential issues and hardware complexity. We know the from HPF that the turbo sits too low to gravity drain, a pump is necessary. And that's to add on to the minor annoyance of a feed. It also eliminates oil starvation possibilities, so a turbo timer is unnecessary. I think this thing is absolutely baller. EFR tubo + sealed oil bearing = end of world, hopefully we'll have it by 2012.
      1. J.J.'s Avatar
        J.J. -
        This is awesome news for the E-46. A DIY turbo kit without a CEL and piggyback under 10K.
        So the question left is how much boost can the stock plastic manifold hold before it will fail ? Or is it pretty beefy ?
        Will this kit be limited to low boost because of DME tuning and injectors size ?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by J.J. Click here to enlarge
        So the question left is how much boost can the stock plastic manifold hold before it will fail ? Or is it pretty beefy ?
        Good question, I don't know. Single digit boost should not be an issue I would think?

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by J.J. Click here to enlarge
        Will this kit be limited to low boost because of DME tuning and injectors size ?
        If they gain enough control to do a low boost kit they should have enough of an understanding to eventually do high boost with injectors as well. If not, then they really don't have the control and capability necessary.
      1. BattaM3's Avatar
        BattaM3 -
        If they can do a high boost built engine setup I'm there MaxPsi is local to me.
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        Mike is Master fabricator. If the manifold needs to be beefend, he is the man on that as well. I see a new horizon of decent priced big power E46's hitting the streets
      1. black bnr32's Avatar
        black bnr32 -
        not apples to apples, but the m/s50/2 intakes can take at least 30psi