Close

    • New BMW N54 and 335 turbo / boost only 1/4 mile record - 11.1@127 with Rob Beck upgraded turbos

      Congratulations to BimmerBoost member LostMarine! This is breaking news from the private track rental today at the ATCO drag strip in New Jersey. This run was done at 19 psi on the upgraded Rob Beck turbos. Car was launched in second gear on drag radials. Car also has meth and upgraded axles which it clearly needs now with all this power. Check out the timeslip below, more details are coming.


      This article was originally published in forum thread: New BMW N54 and 335 1/4 mile turbo / boost only 1/4 mile record - 11.1@127 with Rob Beck upgraded turbos started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 151 Comments
      1. klipseracer's Avatar
        klipseracer -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ItalianStallion Click here to enlarge
        I'm going to be the first to say it

        335 > M3

        Great runs LM. Solid driving and a great setup you have there. If you are ever up in NY or N Jerz, you can come take a shot at some of the "big fish" here lol. Congrats
        Cheaper, relatively speaking nearly as nice in many of the ways that actually matter and starting with a boosted engine helps tremendously...

        +1 to something we saw develope and become great while the newbies to the market just see it as a part that always existed Click here to enlarge I used to be #2 on that rb turbo list right behind midlife.... If anyone remembers that haha, who ever bought my cores anyway? Click here to enlarge
      1. ItalianStallion's Avatar
        ItalianStallion -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
        Cheaper, relatively speaking nearly as nice in many of the ways that actually matter and starting with a boosted engine helps tremendously...

        +1 to something we saw develope and become great while the newbies to the market just see it as a part that always existed Click here to enlarge I used to be #2 on that rb turbo list right behind midlife.... If anyone remembers that haha, who ever bought my cores anyway? Click here to enlarge
        I always said the 335i was going to be one hell of a car. In fact, my brother was going to get one when they first came out and it was going to be my mini-project. But he didn't get it. Then I almost got one for the misses but she prefered the Evo's handling and didn't want to be like every other girl in town with a 3 series. Man, I'd still love to get one just because it's such a great platform and I think the potential is really untapped. No reason this car can't run well into the 10's@130+ with some larger turbos, intercooler, injectors, fuel pumps, and race fuel.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ItalianStallion Click here to enlarge
        I'm going to be the first to say it

        335 > M3
        You can say it, but it's wrong.
      1. ItalianStallion's Avatar
        ItalianStallion -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        You can say it, but it's wrong.
        I don't think so...of course, it is completely subjective.

        IMO, a 6 cyl that comes standard with twin turbos and is capable of putting out these type of numbers, both dyno #'s as well as trap speed, is much more impressive than the top-dog M3's V8 with supercharger's putting out comparable or even lower numbers.

        The 335 was trapping 127 with an automatic transmission. Not DCT. True, a few of the supercharged M3's have trapped 130-132 but these cars have the quick shifting DCT and have A LOT more money pumped into them, not to mention the sticker price alone is a hefty premium over the 335.

        It is also my belief that the 335 era is just beginning. Once the price comes down and more people get a hold of these cars, you will see more and more people going with larger compressor wheels and machined housings and even throwing on GT25 turbos and such. 10's without nitrous shouldn't be a problem and once the turbos get larger, you'll see mid 130mph traps.

        A car that is $20k cheaper and has the potential to be just as fast or even faster than the M3 is more attractive to me. Of course the M3 is more complete with it's better brakes, suspension, and baller bodystyle. But otherwise I still think the 335 is more of the bargain and is more exciting since for M3 money you can basically wing a GT-R or a used 997 Turbo.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ItalianStallion Click here to enlarge
        I don't think so...of course, it is completely subjective.
        It really isn't.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ItalianStallion Click here to enlarge
        IMO, a 6 cyl that comes standard with twin turbos and is capable of putting out these type of numbers, both dyno #'s as well as trap speed, is much more impressive than the top-dog M3's V8 with supercharger's putting out comparable or even lower numbers.
        Higher power numbers and higher trap speeds on less boost for the M3.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ItalianStallion Click here to enlarge
        The 335 was trapping 127 with an automatic transmission. Not DCT. True, a few of the supercharged M3's have trapped 130-132 but these cars have the quick shifting DCT and have A LOT more money pumped into them, not to mention the sticker price alone is a hefty premium over the 335.
        Yes, so it can boost easily at the line but it will never have the shift speed.

        The money difference isn't really all that great at this point with the upgraded turbos but yes, the M3 isn't a cheap and easy platform open to everyone. Part of the appeal to me.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ItalianStallion Click here to enlarge
        It is also my belief that the 335 era is just beginning. Once the price comes down and more people get a hold of these cars, you will see more and more people going with larger compressor wheels and machined housings and even throwing on GT25 turbos and such. 10's without nitrous shouldn't be a problem and once the turbos get larger, you'll see mid 130mph traps.
        In actuality it is the M3 era that is just beginning. The N54 has been on the market longer than the S65 but still has not hit the same numbers with boost.

        Fueling will be a constant issue as direct injection hinders the power potential.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ItalianStallion Click here to enlarge
        A car that is $20k cheaper and has the potential to be just as fast or even faster than the M3 is more attractive to me. Of course the M3 is more complete with it's better brakes, suspension, and baller bodystyle. But otherwise I still think the 335 is more of the bargain and is more exciting since for M3 money you can basically wing a GT-R or a used 997 Turbo.
        It doesn't have the potential to be as fast or faster. I paid more for the headroom. If I am running 130 mph at 7.5 psi what am I going to do at 20 psi? The M3 has a more efficient motor, with a higher redline, with more displacement. The 335 is a bargain, sure, but the M3 is where you will see the real power with the built motors just like the E46 M3's.

        GT-R doesn't have a V8 and has cramped rear seats. 997 turbo is basically a 2 seater and in the similar price range you can't get a DCT. Building an M3 is more unique than either as everyone mods a GT-R or 997 turbo because it is easy.

        I can't wait to open eyes.
      1. ItalianStallion's Avatar
        ItalianStallion -
        I hope you do open some eyes with your build. Best of luck to you Click here to enlarge I understand your decision not to go with the GT-R or 997TT as you want something unique and I respect that.


        As far as efficiency and boost numbers go, You can't look at the boost numbers of 2 tiny turbos vs the boost numbers of a V8 with a supercharger. If you look at built Z06 Corvettes, they only need a few lbs of boost and they can make 800-1000whp easily. With Supras, you need 30-40+psi. It doesn't matter though because the Supras are a small displacement (to the Vettes) with a BIG single turbo. The Vettes are very high displacement with mid sized GT30 or 35 turbos.

        You can't say "my M3 at 7psi makes the same power as a 335 at 20psi, therefore my M is superior." The M is high compression, larger displacement, more cylinders. The 335 is a lower compression, 6 cyl, twin turbo setup with turbos designed to reach double digit PSI numbers from the factory. It is the nature of these cars. The 335 is built for boost so you can crank up the PSI. The M3 is high compression with no boost in mind. Turn it up to 7 or 8 psi and it makes a ton of power. Turn it up to 15 or 20psi and it won't be pretty.

        Listen, both platforms are great. The M3 is a perfected 3 series. But I do think the money is a factor as well as the underdog factor of the 335. The 335 is made from the factory for boost. I think it will prove to be a very suprising platform and it will give the M3 a run for it's money.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ItalianStallion Click here to enlarge
        As far as efficiency and boost numbers go, You can't look at the boost numbers of 2 tiny turbos vs the boost numbers of a V8 with a supercharger. If you look at built Z06 Corvettes, they only need a few lbs of boost and they can make 800-1000whp easily. With Supras, you need 30-40+psi. It doesn't matter though because the Supras are a small displacement (to the Vettes) with a BIG single turbo. The Vettes are very high displacement with mid sized GT30 or 35 turbos.
        Sure you can. The M3 with two tiny turbos would make bigger power as turbos are more efficient aren't they?

        The Z06 has more displacement and is a better motor in NA form than the Supra.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ItalianStallion Click here to enlarge
        You can't say "my M3 at 7psi makes the same power as a 335 at 20psi, therefore my M is superior." The M is high compression, larger displacement, more cylinders. The 335 is a lower compression, 6 cyl, twin turbo setup with turbos designed to reach double digit PSI numbers from the factory. It is the nature of these cars. The 335 is built for boost so you can crank up the PSI. The M3 is high compression with no boost in mind. Turn it up to 7 or 8 psi and it makes a ton of power. Turn it up to 15 or 20psi and it won't be pretty.
        I can say it is more efficient which I am doing. Exactly, the 335 is lower compression, 6 cylinder, direct injected, inferior valvetrain, inferior heads, etc. The S65 is a motor built to a higher standard to begin with.

        The M3 is built with no boost in mind which is exactly the point. They have to squeeze every last pony out of it. When you do build it for boost, as in lower the compression, you still have the beautiful heads, cams, and valvetrain. Not to mention internals designed for over 8k rpm.

        Drop the compression and turn it up to 20 psi and it's going to be beautiful, just like the S54.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ItalianStallion Click here to enlarge
        Listen, both platforms are great. The M3 is a perfected 3 series. But I do think the money is a factor as well as the underdog factor of the 335. The 335 is made from the factory for boost. I think it will prove to be a very suprising platform and it will give the M3 a run for it's money.
        I think the 335 is a nice value, but it clearly isn't superior especially when it comes to performance.

        The M3 has yet to put up big boost low compression numbers. Thus far we are comparing the 335 to stock internal M3's on low boost. The M3 hasn't even gotten it's pimp hand out so to speak.

        Anyway, it's a 335 thread and I respect the performance here but we are going to see some big changes this year in perception.
      1. nickr519's Avatar
        nickr519 -
        Funny seeing e9X guys talk about one model over another about power/$. Ever heard of a foxbody mustang?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nickr519 Click here to enlarge
        Funny seeing e9X guys talk about one model over another about power/$. Ever heard of a foxbody mustang?
        Exactly, there are much better performance values out there than anything with a BMW badge on it.
      1. nickr519's Avatar
        nickr519 -
        damn I wish I had enough rep points to up you on that
      1. ItalianStallion's Avatar
        ItalianStallion -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Drop the compression and turn it up to 20 psi and it's going to be beautiful, just like the S54.

        And it's going to be VERY expensive.

        I'll make a prediction that with the internals being untouched, the 335 with larger turbos will put up the same or at least very close numbers to the M3 with a supercharger. It will be done much cheaper and much more effectively (twin turbos vs supercharger). I think LM started to show us that with his car vs the supercharged M3 he ran against. Not in ET because of the traction but you can look at their traps and see the difference. No reason a 335 with larger turbos can't trap 130+ and compete with a supercharged M3.

        This is LM's thread though so sorry to hijack it. I have nothing to gain from this argument anyway since I don't see E9X M3's or 335's as a "threat" to my car. I sure do respect them and hope that both the 335 and M3 prove themselves to the world.

        I am sure LM will be out proving (or at least trying to) that the 335 is a force to be reckoned with and that most M3 owners better beware...most
      1. ItalianStallion's Avatar
        ItalianStallion -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nickr519 Click here to enlarge
        Funny seeing e9X guys talk about one model over another about power/$. Ever heard of a foxbody mustang?
        True but that isn't apple and oranges. I am talking about an E9X vs E9X, the same exact platform. Not a 20 year old Mustang vs a brand new 70k+ car. Obviously...
      1. nickr519's Avatar
        nickr519 -
        I'm not saying it is, that's just an odd thing to analyze bmw's by, particularly e9X's in the grand scheme of things.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nickr519 Click here to enlarge
        I'm not saying it is, that's just an odd thing to analyze bmw's by, particularly e9X's in the grand scheme of things.
        Yep, bang for the buck really doesn't apply to BMW especially with model comparisons anyway as they are not cheap to begin with.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ItalianStallion Click here to enlarge
        And it's going to be VERY expensive.

        I'll make a prediction that with the internals being untouched, the 335 with larger turbos will put up the same or at least very close numbers to the M3 with a supercharger. It will be done much cheaper and much more effectively (twin turbos vs supercharger). I think LM started to show us that with his car vs the supercharged M3 he ran against. Not in ET because of the traction but you can look at their traps and see the difference. No reason a 335 with larger turbos can't trap 130+ and compete with a supercharged M3.

        This is LM's thread though so sorry to hijack it. I have nothing to gain from this argument anyway since I don't see E9X M3's or 335's as a "threat" to my car. I sure do respect them and hope that both the 335 and M3 prove themselves to the world.

        I am sure LM will be out proving (or at least trying to) that the 335 is a force to be reckoned with and that most M3 owners better beware...most
        But it can be done, I'm doing it.

        When is building anything for the upper triple digit rear wheel hp range cheap? It has not even been determined the N54 is capable of that kind of power and the block is open deck isn't it? So, costs on it to try to keep up will grow exponentially.

        The N54 is still short of the top stock internals M3's and the M3's are getting more aggressive on stock internals now that there has been some time with SC's on motors to prod the limits.

        I realize you have nothing to gain and it really is nothing more than a discussion.

        I wish him the best in maximizing his platform, just as I intent to maximize mine. I just see much more headroom in mine.
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        In sticky's world, the only fair comparo is whichever one shines the light on the M3 Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        In sticky's world, the only fair comparo is whichever one shines the light on the M3 Click here to enlarge
        Not true at all, just want to provide the big picture.
      1. Eleventeen's Avatar
        Eleventeen -
        M3, 335i... whatever. All I know is there is going to be more than one type of E9x running around like a raped ape soon enough. Between more companies working on the N54 fuel system and people continuing to push the M3 platform, there are going to be a bunch of 600+HP E9x cars out and about.
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        Drew was out running with us at Famoso and ran 11.3 @ 129mph compared to Warren's 11.2 @ 127. Although both had more in it. I think a fully modified N54 platform car is good for low 11s. Same for an M3.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
        Drew was out running with us at Famoso and ran 11.3 @ 129mph
        That was his best run, what were his others?