Close

    • First dynojet numbers for the Mercedes 5.5 liter twin turbo M157 - Insideline dyno tests the 2011 S63 AMG with Performance Package

      We know you have been waiting for dyno numbers for the M157 with baited breath just like we have. Now, the sleepless nights can finally come to an end. Insideline dyno tested the S63 AMG featuring the new twin turbo V8 powerplant with the optional Performance Package and all we have to say is: TORQUE, A LOT OF TORQUE. Wow, over 600 pound-feet at the wheels. They also overlaid the graph with the M159 naturally aspirated v8 out of the Mercedes SLS AMG and once you see the curves compared we don't think you or anyone else is going to miss the M156/M159 motor very much.












      This article was originally published in forum thread: First dynojet numbers for the Mercedes 5.5 liter twin turbo M157 - Insideline dyno tests the 2011 S63 AMG started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 28 Comments
      1. M3_WC's Avatar
        M3_WC -
        If they ever put this in a smaller car, it will be epic. Maybe the next generation C63.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
        If they ever put this in a smaller car, it will be epic. Maybe the next generation C63.
        This is exactly what I was thinking.

        I wonder if Mercedes has the Huevos to stick it in the SLK.
      1. bogdan_mb's Avatar
        bogdan_mb -
        They will 100% stick it, but not sure it they'll add also the turbochargers. Anyway , that engine bay is just beautifull.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bogdan_mb Click here to enlarge
        They will 100% stick it, but not sure it they'll add also the turbochargers. Anyway , that engine bay is just beautifull.
        Those rumors about the naturally aspirated 5.5 liter V8 sure just seem to be rumors. It was supposed to go in the C63 AMG coupe as well but didn't. I don't see them making a motor just for 1 car.
      1. MHP LLC's Avatar
        MHP LLC -
        Turbos love load as you can see by the 1:1 5th gear pull netting more tq than the 4th gear pull. Keep in mind the PP package tuning is 80-85% of what you'll see from a solid aftermarket tune.

        Thanks
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MHP LLC Click here to enlarge
        Turbos love load as you can see by the 1:1 5th gear pull netting more tq than the 4th gear pull. Keep in mind the PP package tuning is 80-85% of what you'll see from a solid aftermarket tune.

        Thanks
        I see no reason to order the PP, just get some aftermarket tuning and get more for less.
      1. MHP LLC's Avatar
        MHP LLC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I see no reason to order the PP, just get some aftermarket tuning and get more for less.
        Yes sir, about 1/3 the cost for more power and tq.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MHP LLC Click here to enlarge
        Yes sir, about 1/3 the cost for more power and tq.
        When can we expect an MHP tune for these motors?
      1. leo985i's Avatar
        leo985i -
        What a monster! I love the fact that they still are using dip sticks, unlike BMW lol.........Also, when are we gonna see something like this from BMW? The new M5 engine maybe? The power this thing makes is crazy.......
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leo985i Click here to enlarge
        What a monster! I love the fact that they still are using dip sticks, unlike BMW lol.........Also, when are we gonna see something like this from BMW? The new M5 engine maybe? The power this thing makes is crazy.......
        It has me thinking of doing a comparison article but I'm thinking Mercedes has BMW beat on raw power and torque.
      1. leo985i's Avatar
        leo985i -
        Pretty sure they do, just look at their whole line up of AMG beasts. Every other year they bring a more powerful engine, while BMW stays with the same $#@! for like 7 years. Looks like MB is not $#@!ing around...
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        MB definitely will have more power and torque. Best case scenario is the new M5 putting out 470 whp, so the Performance Package has it beat significantly hands down.

        The upside is the DCT shifts so much faster.
      1. MHP LLC's Avatar
        MHP LLC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        When can we expect an MHP tune for these motors?
        I've been able to do them since I sent you the pic of the ECU (when was that)? I haven't personally done one yet but we had one on the Cartec in Feb. Not an easy read/write but it's been done already.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MHP LLC Click here to enlarge
        I've been able to do them since I sent you the pic of the ECU (when was that)? I haven't personally done one yet but we had one on the Cartec in Feb. Not an easy read/write but it's been done already.
        Excellent, well I look forward to the official pricing, boost, dyno, and gain information!
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        lmfao, I need to step up. This game is not being fair at all 600 wtq stock!
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
        lmfao, I need to step up. This game is not being fair at all 600 wtq stock!
        Yep, it's getting out of control now haha. I can't wait until they start tuning these.

        Mercedes, please put the motor in the SLK just as a giant middle finger to everyone.
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        to everyone, seriously. just a tune and you're next to if not pulling zr1.
      1. bogdan_mb's Avatar
        bogdan_mb -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Yep, it's getting out of control now haha. I can't wait until they start tuning these.

        Mercedes, please put the motor in the SLK just as a giant middle finger to everyone.
        By doing this the SLK will be the fastest AMG ever launched, maybe even faster than SLR, since we all know what SLK55 with supercharger can do an that is not even close to M157. Hope they'll add this engine, at least a Black Series with turbos.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bogdan_mb Click here to enlarge
        By doing this the SLK will be the fastest AMG ever launched, maybe even faster than SLR, since we all know what SLK55 with supercharger can do an that is not even close to M157. Hope they'll add this engine, at least a Black Series with turbos.
        Yep, the SLK would be out of control. I'm with you completely on this.
      1. bogdan_mb's Avatar
        bogdan_mb -
        Has anyone notice that M157 found in newly launched CLS and E-class offer less power and torque compared to the S-class ?
        To be more specific :

        E & CLS : 525 hp / 700 Nm and 557 hp / 800 Nm with P30
        while
        S class : 544 hp / 800 Nm and 571 hp / 900 Nm with P30

        Does anyone know if there is some tehnical changes between them (100 Nm is a considarable difference, even at this level ) or only software tweaks for marketing ?