Close

    • What does CNC machining look like? Click to see video of a billet DCT pan being made for BimmerBoost

      What is CNC machining? CNC stands for computer numerical control and you see this term used often in the aftermarket automotive industry. Basically, a computer is used to design the product and this design is fed to a computer that tells the machine what to do. In this case, create a DCT oil pan out of a solid block of billet aluminum. Check out the video of the process below.



      This article was originally published in forum thread: M3 DCT Build Journal - World's First BMW DCT Build started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 2871 Comments
      1. DBFIU's Avatar
        DBFIU -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Oh, and will changing the stroke mess with the VE?
        Yes it will.

        As soon as you increase the displacement of the engine you increase port velocities.
        When you increase port velocity you reduce VE if the cams are not tuned for this.

        If you stroke the engine, get your heads ported.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
        But I think you CAN have a blower thats too big, the parasitic loss at the low end will exacerbate the already poor low end torque of the engine coupled with the lower compression and that will suck.

        But top end is what you want anyway, right?
        Screw it, I'll drive around at 5,000 rpm. If I cared about low end I should not have bought an M3

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
        Any of the F1 class prochargers can handle the flow and power you need...

        F1-A is a good choice in my opinion, intercooler it if you can, with meth injection.. and you can hit 1000 whp easy.
        So you would choose the F1-A out of any of them? If I could do the F1-R should I?

        These will hit 25+ psi?

        What about stroking to mitigate the low end loss?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        @DBFIU what car is this?

        Click here to enlarge
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        Wow Dbfiu, you're one smart guy... Nice info in here lol.

        Sticky, you don't think tuning for a different supercharger will take some time too?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
        Sticky, you don't think tuning for a different supercharger will take some time too?
        Sure will, but no harm in finding out what blower would pair best, right?
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Sure will, but no harm in finding out what blower would pair best, right?
        Just get the blower now that you know and start the tuning! Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
        Just get the blower now that you know and start the tuning! Click here to enlarge
        I'll stop by Gintani this week and discuss some things with them.
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I'll stop by Gintani this week and discuss some things with them.
        Goodluck man, keep us posted!
      1. BigM62's Avatar
        BigM62 -
        Wow, great news! I have been out with some major surgery to an old football injury. Love the "Go big, or go home" motto. I already bought my V7, so I plan on going that route. Plus, as mentioned here, I followed my heads porting with FI cams. But those Prochargers are big mo'fo's! Glad to se things are going nice and and slow and done RIGHT. That is what matters. There is a reason why Confucius says, " He who waits with grace, gets biggest fortune cookie".
      1. DBFIU's Avatar
        DBFIU -
        It shouldn't be too hard to re-tune for a bigger blower. The boost vs. RPM curve will look very similar for two centri's of comparable size. It would be much harder to change a tune going from a centri to turbo or centri to roots for instance.

        Go with any F1 model that can fit under the hood, they can handle your flow and boost requirements.
      1. klipseracer's Avatar
        klipseracer -
        This thread is all talk. Let me see Sticky vs UGR Gallardo....Fight!
      1. DBFIU's Avatar
        DBFIU -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
        This thread is all talk. Let me see Sticky vs UGR Gallardo....Fight!
        UGR gallardo is on another level man... those things run 8s.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
        This thread is all talk. Let me see Sticky vs UGR Gallardo....Fight!
        All talk? Did you miss all the pictures, details, and specifications of the transmission build?

        I'm not aiming for UGR Gallardo's, I know my limits.
      1. DBFIU's Avatar
        DBFIU -
        Just FYI

        Here is what an F1A can do. 852 whp like nothing basically...

        It sounds like a 747 taking off..

      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
        Just FYI

        Here is what an F1A can do. 852 whp like nothing basically...

        It sounds like a 747 taking off..

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rWkiFFOOw4
        That works... as does this:



        The F1's are some bad, bad blowers.
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        That is one bad $#@!. That blower looks like a top mount turbo, you can't really $#@! with something like that.
      1. Yukohama's Avatar
        Yukohama -
        damn... good to see this is chugging along still
      1. BigM62's Avatar
        BigM62 -
        I have heard that the V7 YSI is easier to spin than the F1-A, because of the size of the gears. Either way, they are both great blowers.
      1. BigM62's Avatar
        BigM62 -
        Found this on LS1tech,

        "I had the YSi, and i think the procharger is a way better option. The YSi is very quiet and durable as hell, but it has a terrible step up ratio. This makes setting up pullies very difficult as i was running a 2.75" to get decent boost. With the F1 you would be in the 3.25" range making belt life much better. Thats my $.02 "

        __________________

        And," The Ysi uses engine oil lubrication where the PC uses a self contained oiling system. Not sure if that bothers you or not, but I did not want one system contaminating the other if there is a failure."

        For the YSI," I've tried the YSi, F1A, F1C and F1R. All the F series blowers are loud. The YSi-it's loud-but not as obnoxious.

        They will all make over 850 rwhp, F1C, F1R and YSi-will make over 900.
        F1R is the baddest $#@! of them all, the YSi and F1C are right behind it.

        Any of these blowers are 8 second capable, the F1R is 7 second capable.

        No matter which of these blowers you choose the belt is going to have to be damn tight and the pulley's aligned 100% or your going to have issues.

        Currently-I'm enjoying my YSi.

      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BigM62 Click here to enlarge
        Found this on LS1tech,

        "I had the YSi, and i think the procharger is a way better option. The YSi is very quiet and durable as hell, but it has a terrible step up ratio. This makes setting up pullies very difficult as i was running a 2.75" to get decent boost. With the F1 you would be in the 3.25" range making belt life much better. Thats my $.02 "

        __________________

        And," The Ysi uses engine oil lubrication where the PC uses a self contained oiling system. Not sure if that bothers you or not, but I did not want one system contaminating the other if there is a failure."

        For the YSI," I've tried the YSi, F1A, F1C and F1R. All the F series blowers are loud. The YSi-it's loud-but not as obnoxious.

        They will all make over 850 rwhp, F1C, F1R and YSi-will make over 900.
        F1R is the baddest $#@! of them all, the YSi and F1C are right behind it.

        Any of these blowers are 8 second capable, the F1R is 7 second capable.

        No matter which of these blowers you choose the belt is going to have to be damn tight and the pulley's aligned 100% or your going to have issues.

        Currently-I'm enjoying my YSi.

        Yep, I've read that thread.

        From what I gather they are all badass blowers.

        The thing is, the Procharger F1's seem to be able to spin higher and support more HP.