• 10 second E46 M3 coming soon? HPF allegedly sets new E46 60 foot record at 1.55

      HPF has been marketing their new setups aimed at getting better launches at the strip pretty heavily as of late. Chris, the owner, took the HPF M3 to the drag strip to test out the "anti-lag" setup which allows boost to be built at the line. The car allegedly hit 1.55 and we use that term because no slips were posted. We are not doubting it, but HPF (and others) need to get in the habit of posting timeslips when making such claims. Check out the video below and if the car did not have issues shifting it likely would have been a 10 second pass.



      This article was originally published in forum thread: 10 second E46 M3 coming soon? HPF allegedly sets new E46 60 foot record at 1.55 started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 95 Comments
      1. Sorena's Avatar
        Sorena -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ccsykes Click here to enlarge
        I agree on all the points you made.. but the money spent on axles, solid bushings, Motons, etc.. Might as well just put a solid axle in and be done with it. In the long run it would be 10X cheaper. Even then, I don't think the M3 transmission is geared properly for 1/4 mile.
        excuse me but why you bought an M3 ? there are much better options for if you are interested in performance.
        with the solid axle in back the track abilities of the car will be ruined.
      1. gringotegra's Avatar
        gringotegra -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
        It's an issue of sidewall height and stiffness, which affects the resonant frequency of the "suspension". Most people ignore the tire being part of the suspension in this case.
        Thats a key one right there...stiff sidewalls are killers... like i said on the last page...there is no "give"

        Ive seen more people break $#@! on a drag radial then they have on a full out slick.... You dont get wheel hop with slicks...


        And back to the mixing tires part, like i said i know quite a few people who do it and have no issues.... yes it is not recommended but doesnt mean it cant be done with success... i mean they say you shouldnt run slicks with stock studs, but that doesnt stop a ton of people from doing it... same goes for not having a cage and going faster than 135 or 11.49....
      1. gringotegra's Avatar
        gringotegra -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ccsykes Click here to enlarge
        I agree on all the points you made.. but the money spent on axles, solid bushings, Motons, etc.. Might as well just put a solid axle in and be done with it. In the long run it would be 10X cheaper. Even then, I don't think the M3 transmission is geared properly for 1/4 mile.
        With your turbo and rev limiter, it sucks.. but i think a properly sized turbo + wheel size and it can be done..
      1. 5mall5nail5's Avatar
        5mall5nail5 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
        excuse me but why you bought an M3 ? there are much better options for if you are interested in performance.
        with the solid axle in back the track abilities of the car will be ruined.
        Dudes he put a full cage in a bright green show car convertible. Obviously dude is not concerned with rationale.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ccsykes Click here to enlarge
        I agree on all the points you made.. but the money spent on axles, solid bushings, Motons, etc.. Might as well just put a solid axle in and be done with it. In the long run it would be 10X cheaper. Even then, I don't think the M3 transmission is geared properly for 1/4 mile.
        What do you feel the gearing should be or how would you like it changed?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
        excuse me but why you bought an M3 ? there are much better options for if you are interested in performance.
        with the solid axle in back the track abilities of the car will be ruined.
        Why did any of us buy BMW's? There are much better options vs. any BMW really. Would be boring if we all drove Mustangs, we tune and modify what we do because we like to.
      1. Sorena's Avatar
        Sorena -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Why did any of us buy BMW's? There are much better options vs. any BMW really. Would be boring if we all drove Mustangs, we tune and modify what we do because we like to.
        It's not tuning anymore, it's way beyond that, it's transforming.
        M3 wasn't supposed to be a drag car, it was supposed to be a sports car with track (it comes first) and good performance (second).
        putting solid axle in it and try to sacrifice all the abilities just for performance, that doesn't sound logical to me. it's exactly like trying turning a H1 into a luxury limo.
        There are much better options vs. any BMW really
        it really depends on what you expect from your car,
        performance ? forget BMW
        Quality ? not the best.
        Handling ? No.
        Equipment ? huh
        but when you put all these together a car like BMW really shines.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
        It's not tuning anymore, it's way beyond that, it's transforming.
        M3 wasn't supposed to be a drag car, it was supposed to be a sports car with track (it comes first) and good performance (second).
        putting solid axle in it and try to sacrifice all the abilities just for performance, that doesn't sound logical to me. it's exactly like trying turning a H1 into a luxury limo.
        Nobody is putting a solid rear axle in. He simply stated the ideal setup to maximize the power at the strip.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
        it really depends on what you expect from your car,
        performance ? forget BMW
        Quality ? not the best.
        Handling ? No.
        Equipment ? huh
        but when you put all these together a car like BMW really shines.
        That's the point, BMW's have all around strength. They can be very strong at the drag strip, the problem is few owners actually drag race or try.
      1. ZooyorQ's Avatar
        ZooyorQ -
        There are other IRS cars that have hit incredible times without completely destroying the rear end. Its alot of trial/error and obviously seat time. You can't just hand the keys to someone with 800rwhp and a street car setup , throw drag radials on it and expect 10's by mashing the pedal.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ZooyorQ Click here to enlarge
        There are other IRS cars that have hit incredible times without completely destroying the rear end. Its alot of trial/error and obviously seat time. You can't just hand the keys to someone with 800rwhp and a street car setup , throw drag radials on it and expect 10's by mashing the pedal.
        Kind of sad we are expecting 10's out of these setups. The cars should be DEEP into the 9's.
      1. BattaM3's Avatar
        BattaM3 -
        More non-hpf seem to care. Lol.
      1. ccsykes's Avatar
        ccsykes -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        What do you feel the gearing should be or how would you like it changed?
        The gearing on the E46 M3:

        1- 4.23
        2- 2.53
        3- 1.67
        4- 1.23
        5- 1.00
        6- .83

        The gearing on a TH400 is:

        1- 2.48
        2- 1.48
        3- 1.10

        Obviously 1st gear in the M3 is a total waste of time and most likely the sole reason why these cars are not running the times people would expect 700+ HP cars to run. Maybe someone should try launching in second gear with a 4.10 R&P. Simply put though, these cars will never make great drag cars with that gearing. They may however do well in the Texas mile.

        Want to drag race a E46 M3.. live axle and TH400. For me.. I'm going to toy around with the 1/4 mile.. but focus on the Texas mile and road courses.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ccsykes Click here to enlarge
        Obviously 1st gear in the M3 is a total waste of time and most likely the sole reason why these cars are not running the times people would expect 700+ HP cars to run. Maybe someone should try launching in second gear
        with a 4.10 R&P.
        Why not just go with a much longer ratio instead of shorter?

        I'm actually planning on doing that...
      1. gringotegra's Avatar
        gringotegra -
        Here's a Stage 4 vs gearing with stock size wheels and tires....

        Click here to enlarge

        Like i said a few months ago when i made this, if these cars would rev another 1000+ rpm it would be a $#@! ton better!
      1. ZooyorQ's Avatar
        ZooyorQ -
        I agree regarding first gear. Even a stock m3, the first gear is pretty useless. I also was thinking 4.10s and a second gear launch could be the trick to getting 10s.