• 10 second E46 M3 coming soon? HPF allegedly sets new E46 60 foot record at 1.55

      HPF has been marketing their new setups aimed at getting better launches at the strip pretty heavily as of late. Chris, the owner, took the HPF M3 to the drag strip to test out the "anti-lag" setup which allows boost to be built at the line. The car allegedly hit 1.55 and we use that term because no slips were posted. We are not doubting it, but HPF (and others) need to get in the habit of posting timeslips when making such claims. Check out the video below and if the car did not have issues shifting it likely would have been a 10 second pass.



      This article was originally published in forum thread: 10 second E46 M3 coming soon? HPF allegedly sets new E46 60 foot record at 1.55 started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 95 Comments
      1. PEI330Ci's Avatar
        PEI330Ci -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ccsykes Click here to enlarge
        It just wants to grab, with the 3 discs it is extremely hard to find a sweet spot and be consistent. It's unpredictable.
        I don't have experience with this exact clutch....does giving it some time to break in help it modulate better?

        For the power you have, and the track events you want to do, I'm surprised you didn't go with a Carbon/Carbon clutch. They modulate extremely well, even a 3 disk, and last a very long time. The only down side is price: In the $5-6 area. Over the long run they work out cheaper though....and being able to modulate off the line is worth significant ET as you know.
      1. gringotegra's Avatar
        gringotegra -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ccsykes Click here to enlarge
        It just wants to grab, with the 3 discs it is extremely hard to find a sweet spot and be consistent. It's unpredictable.
        Tilton sells a Flow control valve that pretty much everyone i know that has a twin/tripple disk puts in their car.. it disengages slower and seems to help alot of people out...

        http://www.tiltonracing.com/content....st2&id=436&m=b

        Now will it work in your M3 i have no clue since im not familiar with the clutches in them
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gringotegra Click here to enlarge
        Tilton sells a Flow control valve that pretty much everyone i know that has a twin/tripple disk puts in their car.. it disengages slower and seems to help alot of people out...

        http://www.tiltonracing.com/content....st2&id=436&m=b

        Now will it work in your M3 i have no clue since im not familiar with the clutches in them
        That's an interesting solution. Why wouldn't it work?
      1. 5mall5nail5's Avatar
        5mall5nail5 -
        The only way to launch them consistently and accurately is without anything in the line.

        Although, multiplex and I were thinking about putting a fast solenoid on the clutch line and using the standalone to slip the clutch based on PWM. You could dial in clutch modulation (outward) almost exactly.
      1. PEI330Ci's Avatar
        PEI330Ci -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 Click here to enlarge
        The only way to launch them consistently and accurately is without anything in the line.

        Although, multiplex and I were thinking about putting a fast solenoid on the clutch line and using the standalone to slip the clutch based on PWM. You could dial in clutch modulation (outward) almost exactly.
        I actually tried it with a nitrous solenoid, and it worked like crap. Initially the idea was to use the solenoid to engage the clutch simultaneously releasing the line-lock....then I thought about pulsing. What happened was that the brake fluid ate the seals in the solenoid....

        Here's one of the most cutting edge drag racing specific clutches available right now:

        http://www.leandersclutch.com/
      1. gringotegra's Avatar
        gringotegra -
        The only way to learn how to launch a car is do it over and over and over... SEAT TIME is everything.... Ive driven 5 different twin disks and 1 triple disk... after a few passes on each of them i was able to slip each and every one... People need time in these cars... for someone whos never raced a clutch car on the drag strip to jump in a car that has an aggressive twin/triple disk, well no $#@! you are going to suck at it lol....

        Sticky, i have no clue how the clutch in a M3 is set up so im not sure that flow valve would for for it or not... they work well in every car ive seen them in
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
        Here's one of the most cutting edge drag racing specific clutches available right now:
        Good stuff, thought I would post their image with the details here:

        Click here to enlarge
      1. ccsykes's Avatar
        ccsykes -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gringotegra Click here to enlarge
        People need time in these cars... for someone whos never raced a clutch car on the drag strip to jump in a car that has an aggressive twin/triple disk, well no $#@! you are going to suck at it lol....
        haha.. yeah, this is the truth. I've got 10+ years both bracket and index racing but if anyone saw me at Las Vegas they sure wouldn't have known lol.. I missed having my line lock for burn outs too haha.. I only got three passes in. My first pass I basically stood on the two step and side stepped the clutch. The plan was to simply let the tires do the slipping to remove the shock from the drive train. I found that the car had way to much lag for this to work. It pretty much just bogged and my 60' was in the 2.4 range. I don't really want to use anti-lag and the two-step didn't seem to build any usable boost. Even with what I felt was adequate launch RPM, every single pass I made I had significant wheel hop.

        I'm still planning on taking the car down the 1/4 mile, but I believe my days of trying to launch hard are done until I can find a suitable way to control wheel hop. There have been way to many people breaking things in these cars and I'm not really wanting to R&D this with no sponsor ha! One thing is certain though, these HPF cars pull on the big end like nothing I have ever seen. By the time you hit the 1/8 mile the car literally feels like it has solid rocket boosters. I imagine that is why the HPF cars are trapping so high. I'm registered for the Texas Mile so we shall see soon enough.
      1. ccsykes's Avatar
        ccsykes -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Good stuff, thought I would post their image with the details here:
        Until someone addresses the IRS and how it cambers under load, or solves the consistent wheel hop problem.. it's really a moot point to be talking about clutches.

        I'm still convinced the E46 M3 will need a live axle and auto for drag racing. The BMW engineers built this car for the road course and it doesn't seem to be taking kind to drag racing.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ccsykes Click here to enlarge
        I'm still planning on taking the car down the 1/4 mile, but I believe my days of trying to launch hard are done until I can find a suitable way to control wheel hop.
        It sucks you were getting so much wheel hop. Why does HPF's own car not seem to have this issue?

        To eliminate it you might have to make some sacrifices to the all around ability.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ccsykes Click here to enlarge
        Until someone addresses the IRS and how it cambers under load, or solves the consistent wheel hop problem.. it's really a moot point to be talking about clutches.

        I'm still convinced the E46 M3 will need a live axle and auto for drag racing. The BMW engineers built this car for the road course and it doesn't seem to be taking kind to drag racing.
        Didn't see this before I made my previous post.

        The E92 seems to get by just fine on the strip though...
      1. gringotegra's Avatar
        gringotegra -
        You want to eliminate wheel hop?

        Put SLICKS on the car...
      1. 5mall5nail5's Avatar
        5mall5nail5 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
        I actually tried it with a nitrous solenoid, and it worked like crap. Initially the idea was to use the solenoid to engage the clutch simultaneously releasing the line-lock....then I thought about pulsing. What happened was that the brake fluid ate the seals in the solenoid....

        Here's one of the most cutting edge drag racing specific clutches available right now:

        http://www.leandersclutch.com/
        Yeah centrifugal fingers. Thats rail car $#@! though. Adam - the secret to the solenoid is that you need air pressure Click here to enlarge Or CO2 Click here to enlarge We had it pretty well laid out.
      1. gringotegra's Avatar
        gringotegra -
        Drag radials have a stiff sidewall, atleast the radials you guys are using are... if anything you should be running the Bias Ply M&H cheater slicks...those $#@!ers hook, and are pretty much a "slick" with some lines in it to call it a street tire...
      1. ccsykes's Avatar
        ccsykes -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gringotegra Click here to enlarge
        Drag radials have a stiff sidewall, atleast the radials you guys are using are... if anything you should be running the Bias Ply M&H cheater slicks...those $#@!ers hook, and are pretty much a "slick" with some lines in it to call it a street tire...
        Find me a bias ply front runner that will work with the E46 M3 and I'll give slicks a shot. I'm not going to make the mistake of mixing bias ply with radials though.
      1. gringotegra's Avatar
        gringotegra -
        Ive never had any problems mixing tires.... Regular street tires up front, slicks in the back never had issues....
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ccsykes Click here to enlarge
        Find me a bias ply front runner that will work with the E46 M3 and I'll give slicks a shot. I'm not going to make the mistake of mixing bias ply with radials though.
        thats only for regular or X driving, makes no difference in Dragracing since your goal is to go perfectly straight, not into the wall of course
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gringotegra Click here to enlarge
        Ive never had any problems mixing tires.... Regular street tires up front, slicks in the back never had issues....
        The last HPF car to mix tires went into the wall.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ccsykes Click here to enlarge
        Find me a bias ply front runner that will work with the E46 M3 and I'll give slicks a shot. I'm not going to make the mistake of mixing bias ply with radials though.
        MT has a 17 front bias-ply. What I intend to run...
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        thats only for regular or X driving, makes no difference in Dragracing since your goal is to go perfectly straight, not into the wall of course
        No LM you are wrong, it makes a huge difference especially in drag racing.