Close

    • DCT Build Part X - Final machining of SSP oil pan

      Last week we brought you the initial pictures of the build process for the DCT oil pan. You saw one side of the pan and some users asked about seeing the other side. Well, here are the final machining photos revealing the completed pan. As you can see, there are fairly deep fins cut into it for cooling as well as a custom M logo specifically for the BimmerBoost M3. Hey, that's how we roll.































      This article was originally published in forum thread: M3 DCT Build Journal - World's First BMW DCT Build started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 2920 Comments
      1. singletrack's Avatar
        singletrack -
        Sorry to hear about the challenges with the sleeves and block. Here's hoping they get it sorted and you are back on the road.

        Not sure if you know, but what power levels has VAC hit with their sleeved s65's?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by singletrack Click here to enlarge
        Not sure if you know, but what power levels has VAC hit with their sleeved s65's?
        No dyno numbers posted.
      1. NikB316's Avatar
        NikB316 -
        Exactly...there are too many people out there who even think that one should just try to build upon an existing kit to try to get the most out of an M3...the same logic would mean that is as far as an e92 M3 will get. If tuners never tried to build a turbo setup, insane transmission setups to handle big power, etc. we wouldn't have the huge power cars we do today. This also takes customer demand and sacrifice as they need to start somewhere! People should appreciate any member of the community who is willing to be without their car for such a long period of time. They could easily be driving around their car and just wait for someone else to do it so they can buy the same kit and be without their car for days opposed to potentially years.

        Innovation requires sacrifice.




        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Exactly, going to be way cool especially once it's all laid out. Just a process and fun development to see what it takes to do and make it work. I don't know why people don't appreciate the time and effort instead of demanding results as if I don't want my car back myself.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NikB316 Click here to enlarge
        Exactly...there are too many people out there who even think that one should just try to build upon an existing kit to try to get the most out of an M3...the same logic would mean that is as far as an e92 M3 will get. If tuners never tried to build a turbo setup, insane transmission setups to handle big power, etc. we wouldn't have the huge power cars we do today. This also takes customer demand and sacrifice as they need to start somewhere! People should appreciate any member of the community who is willing to be without their car for such a long period of time. They could easily be driving around their car and just wait for someone else to do it so they can buy the same kit and be without their car for days opposed to potentially years.

        Innovation requires sacrifice.
        Well said.
      1. PEI330Ci's Avatar
        PEI330Ci -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        You're onto something sir.
        If this is the case, the timetable is completely understandable. This involves not only changing the deck height, but also the valve-train drive, and everything in the middle of the "V". (Intake manifold, throttle body assembles, etc)

        If I was doing this, I would be changing one part at a time, then moving onto the next component to avoid compound clearance issues. This takes time....
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
        If this is the case, the timetable is completely understandable. This involves not only changing the deck height, but also the valve-train drive, and everything in the middle of the "V". (Intake manifold, throttle body assembles, etc)

        If I was doing this, I would be changing one part at a time, then moving onto the next component to avoid compound clearance issues. This takes time....
        You're one of the few people who understands, appreciates, and doesn't criticize.

        You have a wonderful build thread that obviously is time consuming with a lot of engineering and money involved yet people appreciate the project. But since I'm me I get baseless criticism instead.
      1. MisterEm's Avatar
        MisterEm -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        But since I'm me I get baseless criticism instead.
        We all want to see your car run Sticky, but I truly hope you are being sarcastic on that last point.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MisterEm Click here to enlarge
        We all want to see your car run Sticky, but I truly hope you are being sarcastic on that last point.
        Oh no, not at all. The dynamic changes when I'm involved.
      1. nafoo's Avatar
        nafoo -
        If I never knew about this thread and just happened across it after the build was finished I would haven't have thought twice about the time period.

        Thats what happened with the two other build threads I came across (George smooth's merc and the rx7 chassis)
      1. MisterEm's Avatar
        MisterEm -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Oh no, not at all. The dynamic changes when I'm involved.
        I am really intrigued to see how your DCT build turns out. I like the technology even though I am still a 6MT guy. The ceiling is high.
      1. PEI330Ci's Avatar
        PEI330Ci -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        You're one of the few people who understands, appreciates, and doesn't criticize.
        That's very kind of you.

        While I may have the ability to bury people in technical criticism, I haven't found it does anything to help a situation. In fact, I've found it can backfire rather spectacularly, and move people further away from solutions.
      1. Legionofboom's Avatar
        Legionofboom -
        Guys, its like HPF's N54..

        Its not a bad thing, it takes time, and sticky is ready to wait.
      1. RnmEvo9's Avatar
        RnmEvo9 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge
        Guys, its like HPF's N54..

        Its not a bad thing, it takes time, and sticky is ready to wait.
        Guess we won't see a teaser until 2014-2015.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 Click here to enlarge
        Guess we won't see a teaser until 2014-2015.
        The wait is basically over.
      1. NikB316's Avatar
        NikB316 -
        I'm sure this has been asked and could be difficult to answer, but an ETA based on the above comment?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NikB316 Click here to enlarge
        I'm sure this has been asked and could be difficult to answer, but an ETA based on the above comment?
        Nothing more than weeks now that I can see. I'll call and confirm.
      1. csl335i's Avatar
        csl335i -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Nothing more than weeks now that I can see. I'll call and confirm.
        My 335i rebuilt has started two years ago. The development of the engine and a new in-house developed twin turbo system itself took almost one year and we still need a few months to complete. In my opinion, sometimes, it is not about huge HP, but it is more about the path that you walk to the increased HP. So all my credit should go to Sticky. On the other hand i am also working on my e93 M3 with a slightly modified engine and exhaust system, but we stay with the NA engine at this time.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by csl335i Click here to enlarge
        My 335i rebuilt has started two years ago. The development of the engine and a new in-house developed twin turbo system itself took almost one year and we still need a few months to complete. In my opinion, sometimes, it is not about huge HP, but it is more about the path that you walk to the increased HP. So all my credit should go to Sticky. On the other hand i am also working on my e93 M3 with a slightly modified engine and exhaust system, but we stay with the NA engine at this time.
        Bro, no credit to me for anything. Whatever happens, your car or mine, we like cars. Ultimately it comes down to being enthusiasts.
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Nothing more than weeks now that I can see. I'll call and confirm.
        Lol, "weeks".....remember people there are 52 weeks in a year. Stickys build has only taken weeks to complete, 156 weeks to be exact.

        I bet it is not ready by April 1st.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        Lol, "weeks".....remember people there are 52 weeks in a year. Stickys build has only taken weeks to complete, 156 weeks to be exact.

        I bet it is not ready by April 1st.
        Thanks for the support Jim.