• Horsepower Freaks offering built/sleeved S54 shortblocks with options up to 1200 horse capacity

      Horsepowerfreaks (HPF) has released pricing and details on their S54 shortblocks. There are 4 options whose full specs are listed below. The first one offers a slight overbore, second is an OEM bock, third is a Darton sleeved underbored used block, and the fourth is a Darton sleeved underbored new OEM block with 1200+ rwhp capacity. Great to see these options from HPF.

      Option 1 (900rwhp - .020 Over Bore) $7,495.00
      • Send your used short block complete with crank, rods and pistons to us or pay a $2500 core charge
      • Strap your block securely to a pallet
      • It should be a motor that has never been bored or honed
      • We will magnaflux it and check for cracks when we receive it
      • We will build it to HPF specifications at .020" over bore

      Option 2 (1000rwhp - STD Bore) - New OEM Block $9,995.00
      • Securely Ship your used crankshaft to us or we will sell you one for $900
      • Greater wall thickness than option 1 from not having to bore cylinder walls
      • Greater head sealing surface area between cylinders
      • Built to HPF specifications at STD bore

      Option 3 (1200rwhp+ - .040 Under Bore) - Darton Sleeved Used Block $10,495.00
      • Send your used short block complete with crank, rods and pistons to us or pay a $2500 core charge
      • We will magnaflux it and check for cracks when we receive it
      • Darton sleeves are 4 times stronger than the OEM factory cylinder walls
      • Cylinder wall thickness increased drastically
      • Head sealing surface area increased significantly
      • Built to HPF specifications at .040" under bore

      Option 4 (1200rwhp+ - .040 Under Bore) - Darton Sleeved New OEM Block $12,995.00
      • Securely Ship your used crankshaft to us or we will sell you one for $900
      • Darton sleeves are 4 times stronger than the OEM factory cylinder walls
      • Cylinder wall thickness increased drastically
      • Head sealing surface area increased significantly
      • Built to HPF specifications at .040" under bore




























      This article was originally published in forum thread: Horsepower Freaks offering built/sleeved S54 shortblocks with options up to 1200 horse capacity started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 227 Comments
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 Click here to enlarge
        The 1022 setup blew up due to tuning/methanol failure (the system they say has infinite failsafes)
        Ok, so why are you equating this with a block failure?

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 Click here to enlarge
        The block that was built to replace it was the debored sleeved setup good for "as much as can be thrown at it" yet they turned it back to 900 hp or something. Mtran is the owner.
        And is it running fine? I don't know if he wants to be a test mule to establish just how much he can push.
      1. 5mall5nail5's Avatar
        5mall5nail5 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Ok, so why are you equating this with a block failure?



        And is it running fine? I don't know if he wants to be a test mule to establish just how much he can push.

        You don't get it - I am sure my M50 stock block could do 1500 rwhp. I could fill the block 1/2 up with epoxy and go for broke. However, these are being marketed as 1200+ rwhp long blocks... they have never made 1200 rwhp they don't know that the pistons are good enough, rods are good enough, hell we don't know that the cranks are good enough. I have no doubt a steel sleeve will contain the pressure for a bit, but that's the least of the issues. Mtran continuous ripped on his car and the motor was severely damaged throughout. So they boasted his rebuild as more, bigger, better, stronger... then they turned it down by 100+ rwhp. They don't have a working setup for 1200 rwhp, its speculation. If you go by what Eagle says about their rods, a 4 cylinder BMW rod they make is good for 225 hp each (900 hp) - so we're to assume their 6 cyl kit will hold 1350 hp? GTFO. A lot of guys are turning over 820 hp on Eagle rods (myself included) but that doesn't mean I am about to trust them up to 1350. This is common sense.
      1. SiGmA_X's Avatar
        SiGmA_X -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I think that is why the block is underbored... I also don't believe that 1022 rwhp setup was the same block as what is being quoted here as being 1200 rwhp capable.
        You are correct in the 1022rwhp setup being not the sleeved block. The replacement sleeved block only made ~900whp. So to date, the sleeved blocks are only good to mid-900's IIRC, and the non-sleeved are good to far lower than that. I would also like to inquire as to the redesign of the piston to prevent shearing of oil squirters. Has HPF figured that out? Brand new oil squirters being clipped by the skirts, chewed up, and dropped into the pan speaks volumes to the end user about the level of engineering present. A second inquiry that is also pertinent to the sale of $$ built blocks would be the complications of HPF's machine shop not knowing how to spec a crankshaft. Hopefully that has been resolved so customers do not randomly have oil pressure failures related to shoddy blueprint work. That way they will only have to be worried about shoddy engineering of the pistons in their claimed 1200whp capable motors.
      1. 5mall5nail5's Avatar
        5mall5nail5 -
        Yes, the oil squirters in the bottom of the pan was another oversight. That one kind of went under the radar.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 Click here to enlarge
        You don't get it - I am sure my M50 stock block could do 1500 rwhp.
        No, I think you don't get it. What your block can or can't do isn't even the subject of this thread. Your car isn't the subject of this thread. You don't need to make every single one about you. No reason we can't just appreciate that HPF is offering more options to customers. There is absolutely nothing wrong with these blocks and no reason to not believe the possible HP capacity of sleeved iron blocks. I would believe 1200 capacity is even conservative and the point of fatigue is much, much higher.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 Click here to enlarge
        they have never made 1200 rwhp they don't know that the pistons are good enough, rods are good enough, hell we don't know that the cranks are good enough.
        Where are the claimed 1200 whp capable pistons? Or cranks? Or rods? They aren't offering a 1200 whp package here. All that has been stated is that block itself with Darton sleeves is 1200+ capable. That's it, why you are reading more into this and going off into other parts that have nothing to do with it I have no clue.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SiGmA_X Click here to enlarge
        You are correct in the 1022rwhp setup being not the sleeved block. The replacement sleeved block only made ~900whp. So to date, the sleeved blocks are only good to mid-900's IIRC, and the non-sleeved are good to far lower than that. I would also like to inquire as to the redesign of the piston to prevent shearing of oil squirters. Has HPF figured that out? Brand new oil squirters being clipped by the skirts, chewed up, and dropped into the pan speaks volumes to the end user about the level of engineering present. A second inquiry that is also pertinent to the sale of $$ built blocks would be the complications of HPF's machine shop not knowing how to spec a crankshaft. Hopefully that has been resolved so customers do not randomly have oil pressure failures related to shoddy blueprint work. That way they will only have to be worried about shoddy engineering of the pistons in their claimed 1200whp capable motors.
        Thank you.

        However, I don't believe the phrasing of saying they are only good to mid 900's is accurate. The sleeved block is likely good for far more as quoted however it has hit mid 900's thus far would be the correct way to present it.

        I have no idea about the oil squirters.

        Once again, they didn't claim their turbo motors were 1200 whp capable, they claimed their sleeved block was. Why is no one making this distinction?
      1. GG///M3's Avatar
        GG///M3 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SiGmA_X Click here to enlarge
        You are correct in the 1022rwhp setup being not the sleeved block. The replacement sleeved block only made ~900whp. So to date, the sleeved blocks are only good to mid-900's IIRC, and the non-sleeved are good to far lower than that. I would also like to inquire as to the redesign of the piston to prevent shearing of oil squirters. Has HPF figured that out? Brand new oil squirters being clipped by the skirts, chewed up, and dropped into the pan speaks volumes to the end user about the level of engineering present. A second inquiry that is also pertinent to the sale of $$ built blocks would be the complications of HPF's machine shop not knowing how to spec a crankshaft. Hopefully that has been resolved so customers do not randomly have oil pressure failures related to shoddy blueprint work. That way they will only have to be worried about shoddy engineering of the pistons in their claimed 1200whp capable motors.
        BAMMMMM Power post of proof?
      1. 5mall5nail5's Avatar
        5mall5nail5 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        No, I think you don't get it. What your block can or can't do isn't even the subject of this thread. Your car isn't the subject of this thread. You don't need to make every single one about you. No reason we can't just appreciate that HPF is offering more options to customers. There is absolutely nothing wrong with these blocks and no reason to not believe the possible HP capacity of sleeved iron blocks. I would believe 1200 capacity is even conservative and the point of fatigue is much, much higher.



        Where are the claimed 1200 whp capable pistons? Or cranks? Or rods? They aren't offering a 1200 whp package here. All that has been stated is that block itself with Darton sleeves is 1200+ capable. That's it, why you are reading more into this and going off into other parts that have nothing to do with it I have no clue.
        I am not making it about me. I am making it about other blocks and blind claims. That's what we're praising here.

        Dude - the pistons come with the block come with rods come with the crank. Its not a "block" its a SHORT BLOCK. Learn the difference. They're selling a package that is 1200 rwhp capable withour running it. Its not an empty block. I am not sure how you are confusing this:

        Option 4 (1200rwhp+ - .040 Under Bore) - Darton Sleeved New OEM Block $12,995.00
        • Securely Ship your used crankshaft to us or we will sell you one for $900
        • Darton sleeves are 4 times stronger than the OEM factory cylinder walls
        • Cylinder wall thickness increased drastically
        • Head sealing surface area increased significantly
        • Built to HPF specifications at .040" under bore

        Why would you give them a crank or buy one for $900 if they're just selling a block.

        Also - just so you know, as it doesn't seem you've built a motor before - you cannot offer a "bore" without pistons in hand. No one would offer a specific bore (0.040" under) without the ACTUAL pistons being used. You CANNOT pick up a block, call up CP/Wiseco, and say "Hey I need an 85mm piston" - you will get an "85mm piston" but it can be +- 0.005" easily - ever heard of wall clearance?

        Its obvious they're selling a package of rods, pistons, and crank and calling it 1200+ rwhp capable. How is this difficult? The thread you mirrored is titled "HPF Pro Built S54 Engine Shortblocks". Do you know what a shortblock is?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 Click here to enlarge
        Dude - the pistons come with the block come with rods come with the crank. Its not a "block" its a SHORT BLOCK. Learn the difference.
        Bro, they are specifically quoting Darton figures for the block + sleeves. Ok? A complete shortblock is as you stated but they do not mention anything about any other details, they are specifically referring to just the capability of the block. Ok?
      1. 5mall5nail5's Avatar
        5mall5nail5 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Bro, they are specifically quoting Darton figures for the block + sleeves. Ok? A complete shortblock is as you stated but they do not mention anything about any other details, they are specifically referring to just the capability of the block. Ok?
        No! It's not ok! That's the point!

        Think about this - real hard, just for a minute.

        They're listing shortblocks in horsepower stages. The only difference is the block detail, yes. That means the cheapest assembly is as capable as the most expensive and that the "block" is the limiting factor - but its a package, they're saying the block is 1200+ rwhp capable and whats in it is as well. Why would you buy a 1200+ rwhp block and know that the internals are only good for 300 lol. WTF? This isn't rocket surgery. However, they're quoting block strength as the package - they haven't even run that power. For all they know a sleeve slips. They're quoting a short block power capability which is foolish considering they haven't run it.

        When you buy rods - they're rated for power. Crank - power. Rotating assembly. Power.

        GMPP rates the LSX motor good for like 2200 HP - with nothing in it! Obviously if you put cast pistons and eagle rods in it its not going to turn 2200 hp. The block won't split open but the internals will.

        Go look at Nelson Racing Engines - look up one of their "2500 hp shortblocks" - its a PACKAGE! They don't say "Our block is good for 6000 hp" and leave it a question as to what the package can run.

        Isn't hard - the rest of the internet on BFC is understanding this. The steel liner can hold that horsepower in another motor - but who knows what its going to do when they try on this one. They haven't done it, its spec-racing. It's stupid.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 Click here to enlarge
        No! It's not ok!

        Think about this - real hard, just for a minute.

        They're listing shortblocks in horsepower stages. The only difference is the block detail, yes. That means the cheapest assembly is as capable as the most expensive and that the "block" is the limiting factor - but its a package, they're saying the block is 1200+ rwhp capable and whats in it is as well. Why would you buy a 1200+ rwhp block and know that the internals are only good for 300 lol. WTF? This isn't rocket surgery. However, they're quoting block strength as the package - they haven't even run that power. For all they know a sleeve slips. They're quoting a short block power capability which is foolish considering they haven't run it.
        You are in such a hurry to try to prove the little bit you know that you didn't even read the post.

        They aren't quoting HP capability for the completed shortblock, they are selling shortblocks. The HP rating is for the block.

        Try reading first:

        Option 4 (1200rwhp+ - .040 Under Bore) - Darton Sleeved New OEM Block $12,995.00
        You see shortblock in there? Because I see an hp rating for the block. Okie dokie?

        Heh, you bet this isn't rocket "surgery" lol.
      1. 5mall5nail5's Avatar
        5mall5nail5 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        You are in such a hurry to try to prove the little bit you know that you didn't even read the post.

        They aren't quoting HP capability for the completed shortblock, they are selling shortblocks. The HP rating is for the block.

        Try reading first:



        You see shortblock in there? Because I see an hp rating for the block. Okie dokie?

        Heh, you bet this isn't rocket "surgery" lol.

        Yes, I do see shortblock in there, here let me highlight it again.

        Option 4 (1200rwhp+ - .040 Under Bore) - Darton Sleeved New OEM Block
        • Securely Ship your used crankshaft to us or we will sell you one for $900
        • Darton sleeves are 4 times stronger than the OEM factory cylinder walls
        • Cylinder wall thickness increased drastically
        • Head sealing surface area increased significantly
        • Built to HPF specifications at .040" under bore

        How do you under bore something without pistons? Underbore from what? So I am to take an exact S54 piston and subtract 0.040" and order pistons for that? Why do they want a crankshaft? Making table lamps? Its a $#@!ing package. The thread is "SHORTBLOCKS".

        On their site

        (01-06) BMW M3 Darton Sleeved NEW OEM Block - 9.0:1 CR $12,995.00




        Psst Sticky - how do you order a block with a compression ratio LOL.. unless it has pistons and rods and crank in it?

        Its a package. Its a shortblock. You're wrong. And they're blindly rating it.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 Click here to enlarge
        Yes, I do see shortblock in there, here let me highlight it again.

        Option 4 (1200rwhp+ - .040 Under Bore) - Darton Sleeved New OEM Block
        • Securely Ship your used crankshaft to us or we will sell you one for $900
        • Darton sleeves are 4 times stronger than the OEM factory cylinder walls
        • Cylinder wall thickness increased drastically
        • Head sealing surface area increased significantly
        • Built to HPF specifications at .040" under bore

        How do you under bore something without pistons? Underbore from what? So I am to take an exact S54 piston and subtract 0.040" and order pistons for that? Why do they want a crankshaft? Making table lamps? Its a $#@!ing package. The thread is "SHORTBLOCKS".

        On their site

        (01-06) BMW M3 Darton Sleeved NEW OEM Block - 9.0:1 CR $12,995.00




        Psst Sticky - how do you order a block with a compression ratio LOL.. unless it has pistons and rods and crank in it?

        Its a package. Its a shortblock. You're wrong. And they're blindly rating it.
        No one said it isn't a package. Where do they say our shortblock is rated to 1200+? They don't, they say the Darton Sleeved block is and I have no reason to doubt them. The other parts are a whole different thing entirely and aren't even mentioned in the rating of the block. You would have a valid argument if they mentioned the entire package was rated to that horsepower level but they say the block is capable. Any reason to doubt the block can handle that? Nope.

        Please, next time, before you get off in a hurry to doubt or criticize them, at least make it valid.
      1. GG///M3's Avatar
        GG///M3 -
        Its calling for you to send ur crank, because they are providing them with the engine kit rated for 1200.
      1. 5mall5nail5's Avatar
        5mall5nail5 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        No one said it isn't a package. Where do they say our shortblock is rated to 1200+? They don't, they say the Darton Sleeved block is and I have no reason to doubt them. The other parts are a whole different thing entirely and aren't even mentioned in the rating of the block. You would have a valid argument if they mentioned the entire package was rated to that horsepower level but they say the block is capable. Any reason to doubt the block can handle that? Nope.

        Please, next time, before you get off in a hurry to doubt or criticize them, at least make it valid.
        They're selling a 1200+ rwhp shortblock. Think what you want. Not only that, but cars they have running 900+ rwhp are cracking OE blocks which is why they are going to sleeved setups. So not sure why the first two options even exist.

        You can think what you want - those packages are saying the shortblock is 1200+ RWHP capable. Who gives a $#@! what someone THINKS (because they have no testing) a block can hold if it hasn't been proven and doesn't have the internals.

        Again, you'll notice every other manufacturer will rate a block as capable of holding power... and has no parts in it. They'll say it starts at a bore and you can go up or down from there within so many. No one says "give us a crank, we do a 0.040" underbore HPF spec and the block holds 1200 rwhp". What the jack kind of useless information is that if they don't mention what the SHORTBLOCK can handle. Either they're more stupid than we once thought, or you're misinterpreting it.

        "Hi Chris I'd like to buy your $13k 9:1 shortblock that only has a BLOCK that holds 1200+ rwhp unproven... no, no I am not interested in knowing what the internals hold... I am only interested in the block... which has internals in it..."

        Seriously?
      1. 5mall5nail5's Avatar
        5mall5nail5 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
        Its calling for you to send ur crank, because they are providing them with the engine kit rated for 1200.
        ... slow....clap....
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
        Its calling for you to send ur crank, because they are providing them with the engine kit rated for 1200.
        They are providing you with a 1200 capable block, that doesn't mean the crank is rated at 1200 whp. They say nothing about the rods or crank being tested or 1200 whp capable, just how strong these sleeved blocks are.

        This is an important distinction, it's ok to say oops, I missed that. No harm, no foul.
      1. 5mall5nail5's Avatar
        5mall5nail5 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        They are providing you with a 1200 capable block, that doesn't mean the crank is rated at 1200 whp. They say nothing about the rods or crank being tested or 1200 whp capable, just how strong these sleeved blocks are.

        This is an important distinction, it's ok to say oops, I missed that. No harm, no foul.
        No its ok to say "you're right every manufacturer rates a shortblock not the block that holds it and I am wrong".

        Its also ok to say "we have not tested this combination to 1200 RWHP"

        It's also ok to say "I don't know much about sleeved blocks and thermal expansion"
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 Click here to enlarge
        No its ok to say "you're right every manufacturer rates a shortblock not the block that holds it and I am wrong".

        Its also ok to say "we have not tested this combination to 1200 RWHP"

        It's also ok to say "I don't know much about sleeved blocks and thermal expansion and the possibility of dropping sleeves at high expansion"
        Any subsequent points are irrelevant. The topic is specifically that the block itself is 1200+ capable, which there is no reason to doubt, and that HPF is offering a complete shortblock package.

        I would be interested to learn what they rate the OEM crank to and their other crank options, etc. But this is all pretty clear and I have no doubt Darton knows what they are doing when sleeving an iron block. They may even know more about it than you.
      1. 5mall5nail5's Avatar
        5mall5nail5 -
        Heh - you haven't seen the M62's they did for Robello racing have you?

        Or the M52s for ICS. Oh boy. I gotta stop speaking with such knowledge.