Close

    • More detailed photos of the BMW N20 Turbo 2.0 Liter Direct Injected Four Cylinder + Video

      BMW released more detailed hi-res photos of the new N20 4 cylinder turbo. These give a good look into the size of the turbo, design of the manifold, as well as the cams. They also released a video about their new "Efficient Dynamics" engine family. We are looking forward to seeing how this motor will be tuned and wondering if VALVETRONIC will cause any complications in tuning.








      Video:


      This article was originally published in forum thread: More detailed photos of the BMW N20 Turbo 2.0 Liter Direct Injected Four Cylinder + Video started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 29 Comments
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        nice photos and interesting video. this is the only thing i'm waiting for from bmw...
      1. mazdaspeed6's Avatar
        mazdaspeed6 -
        What models is this engine going in? Maybe I'll wait to get a car until this motor is out..'give Terry something to play with Click here to enlarge
      1. DavidV's Avatar
        DavidV -
        Everything went very wrong with this robot at 1:31 when he started puting engines in enginebays the wrong way!
        What are they thinking at BMW?
      1. black bnr32's Avatar
        black bnr32 -
        those cams have quite a bit of duration and little lift, no?

        funky looking turbo
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mazdaspeed6 Click here to enlarge
        What models is this engine going in? Maybe I'll wait to get a car until this motor is out..'give Terry something to play with Click here to enlarge
        It will eventually replace all N52's.
      1. leo985i's Avatar
        leo985i -
        Does this look any better than current WV 2.0 turbocharged engines? As far as tuning potential goes?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leo985i Click here to enlarge
        Does this look any better than current WV 2.0 turbocharged engines? As far as tuning potential goes?
        Should be close between the two.
      1. DBFIU's Avatar
        DBFIU -
        3 cylinder turbo, sounds pretty cool.

        I wonder what 6 cylinder engine they were referring to in the video.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
        3 cylinder turbo, sounds pretty cool.

        I wonder what 6 cylinder engine they were referring to in the video.
        The new N57 diesel.
      1. DarkPhantom's Avatar
        DarkPhantom -
        I wonder if the new minis have enough space for it, it looks small enough and I'm sure mini owners wouldn't mind a small bump in power.
      1. Ryan Mills's Avatar
        Ryan Mills -
        No balance shafts? I wonder how they got away with that? I wonder how the oil pump will be connected to the rest of the system. Also what the hell is that goofy looking cam with the roller bearings on it? Are they running the injectors off of it, like an old diesel? -after looking at the video, it looks like it's for some variable lift cam stuff. The fuel pump looks ALOT like the VW pump, so that is actually good.
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ryan Mills Click here to enlarge
        The fuel pump looks ALOT like the VW pump, so that is actually good.
        a lot of the new turbo cars look like they came from the TSI family. really interesting how everything gets put together by each company lol
      1. DBFIU's Avatar
        DBFIU -
        any new updates on this bad boy? I cant wait to see this motor put down some numbers.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
        any new updates on this bad boy? I cant wait to see this motor put down some numbers.
        Nothing new yet, motor still needs to get out there and into more models.
      1. DBFIU's Avatar
        DBFIU -
        Bump for updates.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        There aren't any really at the moment. I want to know what this thing dynos.
      1. Terminator-N54's Avatar
        Terminator-N54 -
        I'm willing to put money on it. That this motor is going to have a great tuning platform.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terminator-N54 Click here to enlarge
        I'm willing to put money on it. That this motor is going to have a great tuning platform.
        I definitely agree with you.
      1. Terminator-N54's Avatar
        Terminator-N54 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I definitely agree with you.
        i think it's going to be another player in the 300-350whp range,
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terminator-N54 Click here to enlarge
        i think it's going to be another player in the 300-350whp range,
        I expect to see this motor in the 500's with turbo upgrades which will come WAY sooner than they did for the N54.