Today, 09:05 AM
So yesterday I was totally obsessed. I had the entire day all by myself with nothing to interfere whatsoever! Was up at 3 and started updating my ToDo list and final research/studying for the day, was back from the coffee shop and in the garage by a little before 5 am, and at it straight until past 9 pm. Was one of the first times on this project was more of a mechanic type day then a fabrication day and I forgot how much I really enjoy that. Went through the motor from bottom to top, torquing as I went, installing the few remaining gaskets on the list and attacking the wiring harness. KMS Racing Engines built the mil-spec harness and reflashed the throttle actuators and as described in an earlier post, the Volkswagon secondary idle throttle. Got most of it on the motor yesterday, as well as the modified fuel rail and the new Bosch "big green" injectors supplied by Active. Have a small list of crush washers and fittings to pick up, as well as some tweaks -- like the modified heater hose I was so glad to have done and installed now has the relatively inflexible -12 hose ever so interfering with the back of the harness plug for the driver side cam intake sensor which makes it impossible to get on! Further modification necessary as well as need to make a bracket for the air pump. Inextricably, BMW OEM has the air pump attached to the plastic cover of the OEM wiring harness. I've left the OEM secondary air hoses on for now, but will change them out to match during post powdercoat reassembly.
Starting to look less like a paper weight and more like a motor again. Here you can see the harness and top center the modified -10 inlet on the fuel rail in the OEM position, and in the lower left, the new -10 return back to the fuel regulator.
The regulator is now in and mounted on the upper right of a purpose built, but quickly running out of room, firewall. Although the digital dash will fully measure fuel pressure at the regulator (need to pick up an adaptor for the sensor), I added an analogue at the regulator for convenience and because I really like the look of an engine bay gauge in an open wheeled hot rod! From the regulator back to the return on the cell is -8 hose. BTW, I need to settle on a sending unit for the fuel cell level. Most I see and all FuelSafe who built the cell does are 90 ohm. For the digital dash to read it, calls for a 0-5 volt signal, interested if anyone has used one they like.
I need to squeeze in and drill two holes for the engine harness bulkhead connectors.
Here's a shot of the reflashed throttle actuators and the VW idle actuator on the left, all reinstalled and wired up (save for a hose clamp I need to pick up for the idle actuator).
Lastly, here's a shot of Saturday's fabbed up SC out/IC in pipe. Challenges in design were to keep it below the theoretical hood line so as to not interfere with vision, keep it out of harms way of suspension and steering moves at their tightest, provide a little room on the other side to allow for engine flex, allow for front halfies bumper and headlight installation, and assuming all that was adhered to, to then tweak it so it met my vision and design aesthetic for gracefulness and coolness factor as it is one of the most noticeable components of the project as really hits you in the face. To put it simply, I want BADASS, something akin to the Eddie's Chop Shop twin turbo 1934 Ford monster on the cover of Hot Rod last year with the turbos up front and the radiator in the trunk (1934 Ford Twin-Turbo Big-Block Coupe - Hot Rod Magazine). I had a rough idea when I did mock up for the radiator and IC early in the year, but playing with 2.5" and 3" both tight and wide radius bends (made sure to have all four mandrel bent on hand) really makes a difference in achieving the look.
The blower clocks and tried moving it to multiple positions. None make it easy, but I ended up liking this design best. In the end, comes out of the 2.5" mouth of the SC, with a tight radius 180 degree turn laid on its side to about 2 o'clock to keep it below the hood, then swings back through a wide radius about 75 degrees to get it in the correct lateral plane, at which point it pops through a transition to 3" tubing so as the air expands it starts to cool down for a run into the IC. Put the final blow off valve just past the transition. Finally, played with wide radius curves to get it down to the IC inlet where it enters through a 90 degree wide radius bend, but ultimately settled on a 45 degree knee bend as looking most right to my eye when viewed from the front!
Finished design. On the floor, you can see start of bumper fab. Idea is to put a 2" stub behind the tube on the frame horn, and the have removable package unit mount into it, where the bracket comes around and crosses the IC pipe to come up and forward and then meets the halfy at the just NY minimum legal level of 16". Had solid bar tapped and turned down to take two lateral M12 bolts to hold it all level, but allow for easy removal of the package when racing or showing! Will try to get that all finished soon as well :)